Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 164 guests

Generation vs Colony vs Cryo

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Generation vs Colony vs Cryo
Post by penny   » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:47 am

penny
Captain of the List

What are the major differences in the various ship designations?

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Re: Generation vs Colony vs Cryo
Post by tlb   » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:13 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:What are the major differences in the various ship designations?
This is discussed in "The Universe of Honor Harrington" from More Than Honor, the relevant section is "(3) The Mechanics of the Diaspora". If you do not have the book, I would strongly urge you to download the free file from Mission of Honor CD.zip, which contains the published books through Mission of Honor. Here is the text:
It was discovered early in the Diaspora that the maximum practical safe speed for a sublight ship was approximately .8 c, as radiation and particle shields can not protect the vessel above that velocity.

The generation ships were built as complete, life-sustaining habitats oriented around the smallest practical self-sustaining population and designed to boost to that velocity at one gravity. In the long term, onboard gravity was provided through centrifugal force. In addition to their human passengers, the generation ships also had to provide for all terrestrial livestock and plants which would be required to terraform the colonists' new home for their survival. Even aboard these huge ships, space was severely limited, and many early colonial expeditions reached their destinations only to come to grief through the lack of some essential commodity the settlers had not known to bring along. This sort of disaster became less common after about 800 pd, when the original, crude hyperships made it possible to conduct extensive surveys of potential colony sites before the slower colony ships departed, but by that time the generation ships were a thing of the past, anyway.

In 305 pd, cryogenic hibernation finally became practical. It had long been possible to cryogenically preserve limbs and organs, though even the best anti-crystallization procedures then available were unable to prevent some damage to the preserved tissues. But where minor damage to an arm or a liver was acceptable, damage to a brain was not, and the early cryogenic pioneers' enthusiastic predictions about indefinite suspension of the life processes had proven chimerical.

It was Doctor Cadwaller Pineau of Tulane University who, in 305, finally cut the Gordian knot of cryogenic hibernation by going around the crystallization problem. He found that by lowering the hibernator's temperature to just barely above the freezing point he could maintain the physiological processes indefinitely at about a 1:100 time ratio. In other words, a hibernating human would age approximately one year for every century of hibernation, and his nutritional and oxygen requirements were reduced proportionately. Over the next several decades, Pineau and his associates further refined his process, working to overcome the problem of muscular atrophy and other physiological difficulties associated with long comatose periods, and eventually determined that optimum results required a hibernating individual to rouse and exercise for approximately one month in every sixty years (ie., after six physiological months), which remained a fixed requirement throughout the cryogenic colonization era.

What this meant was that the life support capabilities of a cryo ship could be vastly reduced in comparison to those of a generation ship. Moving at .8 c, the colonists experienced a 60% time dilation effect; in other words, each sixty-year period of hibernation used up one century of voyage time by the standards of the remainder of the universe. Thus an entire one-century voyage could be made without a single "active" period and would consume only 7.2 apparent months of the traveler's life span. Longer voyages would require periodic awakenings, but they could be staggered, permitting the currently roused crew to use only a fraction of the life support the entire crew would require. The result was to permit far larger numbers of colonists to travel on a given sized ship with a far lower subjective time passage.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:13 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

And then colony ship is the generic overarching term for any type of ship carrying colonists to a new colony -- so it is technology agnostic; while the other two designations are specific technologies used for those particular colony ships. Note however that the "800 pd, when the original, crude hyperships made it possible to conduct extensive surveys of potential colony sites" got pushed somewhat earlier -- for example with the Survey of Manticore departing Sol in 753 PD.

Also, while it doesn't come up much in the Honorverse, after around 1300 PD I'd assume that the now safe hyper travel means that most new colony expeditions would take hyperspace (and thus not need to be generation or cryogenic ships). Sure, they're still restricted to the Beta bands, but that still lets them go nearly 400 c. (Though there may be some colonies launched from colonies where they don't have access to hyper capable transports yet and so still use cryogenic, or even generation ship, designs)

1 PD (2103 CE) - The first colony ship (generation ship design) leaves Sol.
305 PD - Cryogenic suspension is perfected. Presumably most new colony expeditions switch to designing around a cryo-ship platform.
314 PD - Cryo-ship Gideon departs Sol for the Yeltsin system (Grayson).
725 PD - First crude hyper drive invented.
753 PD - Hyper-survey ship Suffren departs Earth for the Manticore System.
775 PD - Cryo-ship Jason departs Sol for the Manticore system.
1246 PD - Impeller drive invented.
1273 PD - Warshaski sails invented.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:20 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:What are the major differences in the various ship designations?

And to clarify - a generation ship doesn't have any cryogenic suspension. And so because the trip to the colony planet exceeds human lifespan it is the descendants of the original settlers who arrive on the colony world. Usually several generations later, so it might be the great, great, grandchildren of the original colonists who are running the ship when it finally arrives.

A Cryo ship has all the settlers, and probably most of the crew, is cryogenic suspension for the entire trip. You'd have a relatively small caretaker/maintenance crew awake at any given time. In theory the crew could be generational but more likely you'd bring extra crew and rotate them in and out of cryo so you don't need to worry about training replacements mid-flight. But nowever the crew is managed it's the original colonists who are woken up to settle the new word -- having slept through the entire multi-century journey.

(And eventually safe hyper-capable transport made both obsolete because now colonists could be moved to their new world in a mater of months, not centuries)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:44 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:And so because the trip to the colony planet exceeds human lifespan it is the descendants of the original settlers who arrive on the colony world. Usually several generations later, so it might be the great, great, grandchildren of the original colonists who are running the ship when it finally arrives.

And it's entirely possible that a great deal of those who finally arrive want no part in living on the surface of a planet. They may develop acute agoraphobia or be sick from the lack of Coriolis force (no spin gravity). Or they simply don't want, because they have always lived on a ship, that's all they've known, all the people they've known had known.

Given this is a possibility, it's even the more reason that the planning of the expedition should take into account the ability to completely duplicate their ship at a reasonable star system. Some people will want to stay, some will want to continue the journey, so you allow for both options.

A Cryo ship has all the settlers, and probably most of the crew, is cryogenic suspension for the entire trip. You'd have a relatively small caretaker/maintenance crew awake at any given time. In theory the crew could be generational but more likely you'd bring extra crew and rotate them in and out of cryo so you don't need to worry about training replacements mid-flight. But nowever the crew is managed it's the original colonists who are woken up to settle the new word -- having slept through the entire multi-century journey.

All the stories we've heard in the HV are that the sublight cryo ships were one-way, one-destination affairs. So the crew is as much part of the settler population as the non-crew. They will arrive aged much further than the non-crew settlers, but they can't be too far advanced in age to not be able to enjoy their new home.

The speculation above about cultural drift doesn't apply to a cryo ship, since the original people who wanted to go are the ones who arrive. They may still change their minds when they arrive and decide that the planet doesn't smell right.

(And eventually safe hyper-capable transport made both obsolete because now colonists could be moved to their new world in a mater of months, not centuries)

With the ability to order something they forgot, when they arrive. There should be no failed colonies with hyperspace... except that then hyperspace also makes colonisation so much cheaper that expeditions get launched completely underfunded, so they can't arrange to buy what they lack.
Post by penny   » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:02 am

penny
Captain of the List

Thanks for the info tlb! I will not get access over the holiday season.

I am still a bit confused. Jonathan's post took care of my immediate questions about colony ships, which seems to be lacking from your posted text. Thanks Jonathan.

It seems that I was wrong about either designation not being essentially space-faring Noah's Arks. The generation ships did stock at least two of every animal that they wanted. Probably more to be capable of ensuring both the survival of the livestock and to simultaneously feed the colonists. A generation ship appears to have been a huge behemoth compared to later designs. Does the text give the size comparisons of each design? A generation ship gives me the impression that it is larger than a fort!

And also, does the text give the population of each ship? The generation ship would have a huge population at the end of its trip than at the start, obviously. So, it has to have stocked much more water than any other ship. And their water supply has to serve the people, the animals and the gardens as well. Generation ships have the capacity to store a lot of water for the duration of such an extended trip. What an immense capacity of water for people, livestocks and plants to consume over such a long trip. Which is how long exactly for a generation ship? It has been posited in the forum that there might be generation ships that still have not reached their destination.

So, lingering questions:

1. Size of the ships comparatively.

2. Method of propulsion.

3. Length of trip.

4. Population.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:55 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Thanks for the info tlb! I will not get access over the holiday season.

I am still a bit confused. Jonathan's post took care of my immediate questions about colony ships, which seems to be lacking from your posted text. Thanks Jonathan.

It seems that I was wrong about either designation not being essentially space-faring Noah's Arks. The generation ships did stock at least two of every animal that they wanted. Probably more to be capable of ensuring both the survival of the livestock and to simultaneously feed the colonists. A generation ship appears to have been a huge behemoth compared to later designs. Does the text give the size comparisons of each design? A generation ship gives me the impression that it is larger than a fort!

And also, does the text give the population of each ship? The generation ship would have a huge population at the end of its trip than at the start, obviously. So, it has to have stocked much more water than any other ship. And their water supply has to serve the people, the animals and the gardens as well. Generation ships have the capacity to store a lot of water for the duration of such an extended trip. What an immense capacity of water for people, livestocks and plants to consume over such a long trip. Which is how long exactly for a generation ship? It has been posited in the forum that there might be generation ships that still have not reached their destination.

So, lingering questions:

1. Size of the ships comparatively.

2. Method of propulsion.

3. Length of trip.

4. Population.

1) Size

I do not believe the size of any colony ships were ever mentioned.

2) drive system
Before the introduction of the Wedge, Bussard ramjets were used.

3) Length of trip

Grayson's cryo ship left in 314 pd, and arrived in 988pd - a trip of 674 years, Manticore's cryo ship left in 775pd and arrived in 1416, a trip length of 642 years.

Manticore is 512 light years from Earth, Grayson is just a smidge closer.

Cryo ships like this traveled between .6 and .8x the speed of light, the max that particle & radiation can be blunted by particle shielding.

As I've mentioned several times over the years, The last Bussard colony ships leaving Earth should just be passing the sphere marked by the distance to Manticore during the timeframe of the main story - it is possible that 600 years worth of cryo ships are still traveling to their designations, so it wouldn't be impossible to accidently run into one in the 20th century PD.

4) Population

Manticore's colony population was ~50,000 IRC, and most of the other colonies were mentioned to be in that area - This is a guess, but I'd say 35-100K was the normal colony size (I read a study some years back suggesting that ~35K is the minimum population size needed to ensure good genetic variability long term, but I can't speak to that.) The Banished Masada population was ~50K as well.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by tlb   » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:22 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:And so because the trip to the colony planet exceeds human lifespan it is the descendants of the original settlers who arrive on the colony world. Usually several generations later, so it might be the great, great, grandchildren of the original colonists who are running the ship when it finally arrives.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:And it's entirely possible that a great deal of those who finally arrive want no part in living on the surface of a planet. They may develop acute agoraphobia or be sick from the lack of Coriolis force (no spin gravity). Or they simply don't want, because they have always lived on a ship, that's all they've known, all the people they've known had known.

Given this is a possibility, it's even the more reason that the planning of the expedition should take into account the ability to completely duplicate their ship at a reasonable star system. Some people will want to stay, some will want to continue the journey, so you allow for both options.

I doubt that any colony ship ever allowed for the complete duplication of a ship. For one thing, why would your assumed section of population that do not want to live on the ground decide to fly away? Why not continue to live in an orbital and remain in contact with their fellow colonists? If I remember correctly, Calvin's Hope remained intact.

For another, any manufacturing ability on the original ship would have been designed to build things for life on the planet. Since space is limited, I consider it unlikely there is the capacity for anything too large.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:46 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

ThinksMarkedly wrote:And it's entirely possible that a great deal of those who finally arrive want no part in living on the surface of a planet. They may develop acute agoraphobia or be sick from the lack of Coriolis force (no spin gravity). Or they simply don't want, because they have always lived on a ship, that's all they've known, all the people they've known had known.

I doubt that any colony ship ever allowed for the complete duplication of a ship. For one thing, why would your assumed section of population that do not want to live on the ground decide to fly away? Why not continue to live in an orbital and remain in contact with their fellow colonists? If I remember correctly, Calvin's Hope remained intact.

For another, any manufacturing ability on the original ship would have been designed to build things for life on the planet. Since space is limited, I consider it unlikely there is the capacity for anything too large.

The skeleton of Calvin's hope remained, it had been stripped clean to create the initial colony.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:29 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:It seems that I was wrong about either designation not being essentially space-faring Noah's Arks. The generation ships did stock at least two of every animal that they wanted. Probably more to be capable of ensuring both the survival of the livestock and to simultaneously feed the colonists.
Plus probably quite a lot of frozen ova and sperm for the animals -- to boost the genetic diversity once you've arrived at the destination planet and have room to spread out. Even today we can and routinely do cryogenically preserve those. But presumably whole animals couldn't be cryogenically preserved until the breakthroughs that made it practical for colonists -- so the generation ships would need to maintain a large enough population of all their animals that they didn't risk losing a species to a few accidents or a run of bad medical luck. (Though, thanks to being able to add in some of the frozen ova and sperm during the flight they don't need to keep large enough animal populations to be viable breeding populations in terms of genetic diversity)

penny wrote:And also, does the text give the population of each ship? The generation ship would have a huge population at the end of its trip than at the start, obviously. So, it has to have stocked much more water than any other ship. And their water supply has to serve the people, the animals and the gardens as well. Generation ships have the capacity to store a lot of water for the duration of such an extended trip. What an immense capacity of water for people, livestocks and plants to consume over such a long trip. Which is how long exactly for a generation ship? It has been posited in the forum that there might be generation ships that still have not reached their destination.

There probably aren't generation ships still in transit. The superior cryogenic tech has been around for 1,500 years at this point and I doubt any colonization efforts picked trips of quite that long -- not when the really going out into the boonies flights were under 700 years.

The early ships used fusion drives [By The Book: Beginnings], and gathered fuel for them using Bussard ramjets, so they didn't need to carry sufficient fuel to accelerate themselves up to their cruising speed of 0.8c. (Or at least the later ships were that fast, I don't think we know the top speed of the very first ships)

And that speed did cut down on the apparent duration of the trip. At 0.8c a 641 year trip would "only" be about 384.6 years to those aboard (well, a bit longer due to time needed to accelerate and decelerate). We don't know the acceleration of those ships, but if we take a fairly high value, for those pre-compensator days, of a steady 1g it'd take almost 2.6 years to boost to 0.8c (and to those aboard it'd be about 2.1 years). But they might boost slower than that, or the acceleration might increase as they burn off fuel before they get up to the speeds where the ramscoops can begin capturing hydrogen.

Also for generation ships I doubt they'd be built with room for major population growth. it seems far more likely to me that there would be quite strict population limits placed on the colonists during the centuries of transit.

But yes, they'd need to carry a lot of water even with the best recycling systems because there would be losses, and they'd need margin for whatever population growth they did allow plus safety reserve in case of accidents that caused water loss or irrecoverable contamination. (But they likely also used a lot of water in their radiation shielding)

Return to Honorverse