Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brigade XO and 156 guests

Exciting advances in supercapacitors

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Exciting advances in supercapacitors
Post by Relax   » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:23 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote: 95% aggregate would produce some of the weakest concrete you can make. No room for binding agents.

FYI, as an engineering student you are exposed to that course, Strength of Materials - or its nickname just strength - in your lower junior year. 3rd year of a five year course. You had to do a year abroad.

But you've certainly reminded me why I needed a very long break from the forum.

Oooo instead of 95% it is 90% and if we are talking UHPC... 80%... yea this makes things so much "better"

Great a 10kWh battery now ***only*** requires 225 Cubic Meters under perfect conditions assuming making it does not destroy the material properties of the UHPC(yea right)... Lovely. Or, you can build a 10kWh battery in less than half a cubic meter... which actually has battery leads, is contained, protected, can be replaced.

Yes, you certainly reminded me why

PS: Strength of materials comes before Mechanics and is Freshman year or Sophmore year(latest if you take 1yr of community college) if you go to an engineering school. I do not know about general education Uni's. Your school did not start actual engineering courses until Junior year? Yikes! What was your horrific drop out rate? 95%? No wonder USA public Uni's are graduating fewer engineering students if you start actual REAL course work only after 2 years of garbage classes sucking you dry of $$$.

PPS Hrmm now my kid really did go to sleep... Uggg work tomorrow. Sorry if I am being short with you.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Daryl   » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:53 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Hi Relax. Thanks for a well reasoned response.
I just read an article that Panasonic are claiming a 6.1 ratio for their newest heat pump. For every kw used you get 6.1 kw of heat.
I have a Mazda ute that is dwarfed by the pick ups, but is registered to carry 1.4 tons compared to their 700kgs.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:43 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I was checking my electric bills and, assuming that I read the numbers correctly, it appears I run about 12KWh a day during the summer, and about 55KWh a day during the winter. I live in the Puget Sound area of the state of Washington; I have electric heat, electric hot water tank, no air-conditioning (the increased frequency of 90+F days might change this); I live alone (along with 8000+ books) in about 1700 sq feet townhouse, 2 stories (in a 4 unit building in which I am not an end unit). Most of my lights have been changed to LEDs.

The water heater is probably the biggest consumer in Summer, followed by your fridge.

I don't know how big yours is, but if it's the typical US one of 36 gallons, it will cost you about 4 kWh to reheat the water after you shower, if you use it all (36 gal = 136 L; 136 L * 25 K * 1 kcal/K/L = 14.2 MJ = 3.96 kWh). Leaving 8 kWh for the rest of the day, that gives you an average of 333 W.

So upgrading your fridge and using a low-flow showerhead would probably reduce consumption a lot. I've seen some heat-exchange water heater designs, which could also improve your bill a lot, but the technology is still a bit new.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:23 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I was checking my electric bills and, assuming that I read the numbers correctly, it appears I run about 12KWh a day during the summer, and about 55KWh a day during the winter. I live in the Puget Sound area of the state of Washington; I have electric heat, electric hot water tank, no air-conditioning (the increased frequency of 90+F days might change this); I live alone (along with 8000+ books) in about 1700 sq feet townhouse, 2 stories (in a 4 unit building in which I am not an end unit). Most of my lights have been changed to LEDs.

The water heater is probably the biggest consumer in Summer, followed by your fridge.

I don't know how big yours is, but if it's the typical US one of 36 gallons, it will cost you about 4 kWh to reheat the water after you shower, if you use it all (36 gal = 136 L; 136 L * 25 K * 1 kcal/K/L = 14.2 MJ = 3.96 kWh). Leaving 8 kWh for the rest of the day, that gives you an average of 333 W.

So upgrading your fridge and using a low-flow showerhead would probably reduce consumption a lot. I've seen some heat-exchange water heater designs, which could also improve your bill a lot, but the technology is still a bit new.

I don't take long showers on a daily basis. I suspect that the washing machine and clothes dryer are a big hit. I also have a dishwasher (which is used every 3 days - like I said, I live alone and accumulate dirty dishes until they need to be washed). I don't know how much power my refrigerator uses, but the kitchen isn't noticeably warmer than the rest of the house.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by penny   » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:07 am

penny
Captain of the List

Relax wrote:
penny wrote: 95% aggregate would produce some of the weakest concrete you can make. No room for binding agents.

FYI, as an engineering student you are exposed to that course, Strength of Materials - or its nickname just strength - in your lower junior year. 3rd year of a five year course. You had to do a year abroad.

But you've certainly reminded me why I needed a very long break from the forum.

Oooo instead of 95% it is 90% and if we are talking UHPC... 80%... yea this makes things so much "better"

Great a 10kWh battery now ***only*** requires 225 Cubic Meters under perfect conditions assuming making it does not destroy the material properties of the UHPC(yea right)... Lovely. Or, you can build a 10kWh battery in less than half a cubic meter... which actually has battery leads, is contained, protected, can be replaced.

Yes, you certainly reminded me why

PS: Strength of materials comes before Mechanics and is Freshman year or Sophmore year(latest if you take 1yr of community college) if you go to an engineering school. I do not know about general education Uni's. Your school did not start actual engineering courses until Junior year? Yikes! What was your horrific drop out rate? 95%? No wonder USA public Uni's are graduating fewer engineering students if you start actual REAL course work only after 2 years of garbage classes sucking you dry of $$$.

PPS Hrmm now my kid really did go to sleep... Uggg work tomorrow. Sorry if I am being short with you.

Interesting course study at your school.

In my day at my uni, Strength and Mechanics were taken concurrently. They were not prerequisites. Not in my day. Dunno about now.

And yes, actual engineering courses (at the university) were not offered until your (if you had bothered to read it) lower junior year. Which is technically your second year if you scale it against other four year universities. Again, it is a 5-yr course! At my uni.

Four year universities offer a well-rounded education. I was able to take cosmology as an elective. Loved that course! I admit that the four year uni forced electives on you. Again, a well rounded education. I am thankful. Especially when discussing just about anything with most two-year "college" students. As is my experience. But I digress.

As I said, my school forced you to take a year abroad as an exchange student. The standing joke at my uni at the time was "Your parents send you off to college, then the college sends you off to college." It was encouraged to study abroad your Sophomore year. The thinking at the time was nobody wanted to study abroad in the middle of advanced studies. But a student could certainly choose to study abroad the Upper Junior year; I think it is like that now.

As an exchange student you were in class at night and on the job during the day! Grueling! But lots of fun. And very exciting! A very tailored program! And that is Sophomore year and you are taking course studies. But not at your own university. But you could technically postpone the courses until you return. I didn't. I graduated a year early.

Freshman year was reserved for a solid foundation in the maths, chemistry and physics. Students pouring in from all over the county were leaving high schools that didn't even offer subjects like trig, geometry and physics. So your freshman year was building a solid foundation in those studies. I took theory in high school. Advanced chemistry. Advanced Biology. Calculus. Trig. Geometry. I was fortunate. Many students were not.

Sophomore year was spent abroad (if you so chose, and it was recommended). I was actually making fifty grand as an exchange student for an engineering company. As an exchange student? Boy did I learn a lot!!! And the pay was good. I didn't need the money at the time, but it looked good on my resume later. Try explaining to companies why you listed a $50,000 salary while you were in college! LOL

My third year, my lower junior year is when the shit hit the fan. Strength and Mechanics were offered simultaneously! They were back to back classes. Although a student could postpone mechanics until the following year. Your OJT as an exchange student prepared you for the courses. 18 credit hrs per semester was the lowest credits one could take. As opposed to 16 at the time for most universities. And whereas Tuesdays and Thursdays were lazy days at most universities, you were in school all day six days a week at my university. SCHOOL ON SATURDAY??? WHAT THE FUCK!!!

Saturdays was pretty much lab all day long! Engineering students actually had a passcode to get in the engineering building 24/7. And you needed it. It was the first time I was exposed to an environment like Hephaestus. The equipment and lab rivaled Bolthole.

Dropout rate? I am not sure about that. Except for chemistry. Chemistry at my Uni was a bitch at the time. I recalled students crying. And, yes, the dropout rate in chemistry was high at my uni. Students simply took it at the neighboring university.

But I do know about the recruitment rate. Engineering companies across the country, and especially locally, heavily recruited students from my university. A lot of universities teach you engineering without actually preparing you for the market. Engineering firms want to hire people who can hit the ground running without having to hold their hand. In fact, students from my uni were recruited too soon. The university had to encourage students not to leave study. Companies were hiring students before they even graduated. Summer jobs turned into full time careers. After a year abroad actually working in your field, you knew what you were doing already enough to accept a (sic) entry level position, for whatever reason.

After I graduated, I was immediately offered the position of Lab Manager. Six figure base salary right out of college. And this was the late seventies!

My first day on the job, there was an orientation waiting for me. The company made you feel at home. It felt like a surprise birthday party. I knew almost every single person there. Several had graduated from my university years before I did. We had met in the labs. I was astounded that the largest engineering firm in the country recruited almost exclusively from my university.

I later left the company and moved to California seeking to sow some wild oats and pursue a masters on a beautiful campus by the water. I was immediately hired as Lab Manager with a local company without an interview.

"You graduated from that program huh?" My new boss asked, rhetorically. That's a fucking grueling program. But you people know your shit!"

Women from my university were hired instead of men from other programs. I am still not over that. I am not a chauvinist, people. And I am happy the market was fair to women graduating from my uni. I was simply surprised by the fact, considering the era. But applicants from other programs screamed bloody murder!

Do note that concrete, as the article suggests has varying mixtures of aggregate. You don't want the strongest concrete for roads. Some poor schmuck will beat himself to death jackhammering that stuff just trying to get to a six inch water main that has burst. You have to be practical with your applications. Those roads will develop potholes easily. But they are practical. They are not airports where the runway must not develop potholes.

The strongest mix will certainly be used in powerplants. But if the plant suffers a catastrophe, the strongest concrete is going to be a godsend in one sense, and a bitch in another. Watching the documentary on Chernobyl, my heart went out to the heroes trying to wrestle with that concrete to contain the disaster.

But I've seen concrete in mixtures 20-30 % aggregate for special projects where strength was not needed. But simply the look and feel of concrete. Low strength concrete often replaces drywall.

At any rate, you still need to drop that 90% down a little further. 87-89 is the sweet spot depending on climate and application. In the real world!

As the thread suggests, varying strengths of concrete will be used for varying applications. I am excited.

For clarity, you still disagree with the proper usage of jibe and/or gibe as opposed to jive?

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:59 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I don't take long showers on a daily basis. I suspect that the washing machine and clothes dryer are a big hit. I also have a dishwasher (which is used every 3 days - like I said, I live alone and accumulate dirty dishes until they need to be washed). I don't know how much power my refrigerator uses, but the kitchen isn't noticeably warmer than the rest of the house.

Washing machine and dish washers are actually impressively efficient. They don't consume that much power or water. You can also wash clothes in the cold water cycle, which is more than plenty.

The dryer is probably an energy hog, especially if you use it on high (I don't know why the setting exists; every single piece of clothing I own either says "tumble dry low" or says not to use the dryer in the first place). That thing is connected to a 20 or 25A circuit so it's going to pull 2 kW. If it runs for an hour, that's 2 kWh. And if you do it every week, we're talking about an average participation of 285 W.

For me, it's usually once every two weeks and the cycle lasts about 0.75 hour, so the average participation is 107 W. But that's still 107 W more than strictly needed, because they will dry all on their own without forcing them.
Post by tlb   » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:23 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:For clarity, you still disagree with the proper usage of jibe and/or gibe as opposed to jive?

Mental floss says the following:
Use gibe in reference to sneering or taunting.
Use jibe in reference to being in harmony.
Use jive in reference to phony talk or jazz.

Note that is how RFC uses the word "jibe", see War of Honor for instance:
Chapter 27 wrote:I have to agree that his analysis of what the Andies probably have in mind jibes altogether too damned well for comfort with what we were already afraid they were thinking.
Post by penny   » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:35 pm

penny
Captain of the List

Good luck convincing Relax of that. Book learning is great, but a lack of common sense is dangerous. Even when everyone was telling him and showing him examples of even newspaper articles. I don't follow the masses either, but damn.

The most puzzling aspect of the entire (disagreement) from such an educated guy is his statement that jibe doesn't make sense as far as meaning to agree, because it is a sailing term???

I was shocked at that statement because he is just as much a fan of the HV as I am. And sailing teaches you if you don't agree with the wind, it can get you dead.

In the HV, if your ship doesn't jibe (sailing term) with grav waves, you're a goner! Better get those sails properly configured. My last post is below, and I never heard from him again.

JohnRoth wrote:
Relax wrote:Jive refers to dance with coming out of the Jazz scene, while the Jibe is a nautical sailing term to go turn the sail which does not make sense.

Thus, JIVE, is the correct usage, whereas Jibe, does not make sense

Vocabulary.com wrote:jibe
v
shift from one side of the ship to the other
n
an aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect
v
be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics

It's one of those words with several meanings.

See also here: http://americanenglishdoctor.com/wordpr ... e-and-jibe

Both Meriam-Webster and Garner's call out the error of using jibe for gibe, but neither has an article on jibe vs jive, nor does Brians.

Relax wrote:So, if you keep reading your link of jibe verses jive which according to you does not exist in your link.... :roll: , it is ok according to them to bastardize, one word, jibe(sailing term) which most certainly never used to be used as "to agree with", but not the other, jive even though that word is most used in society and actually means to dance with the music which aligns with "to agree with" unlike jibe or gibe?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

At least one of them makes sense, the other does not. I will continue to use logic, instead of stupidity.

cthia wrote:BUT. In sailing... is to jibe with, agree with, be in accordance with the wind. Wholly intuitive.

Even aircraft carriers can be thought to jibe with the wind, in regard to the direction which affords the most lift to its fighters upon launch -- directly into the wind. (Which is actually more of a tack -- into the wind.) When jibing, you are not just arbitrarily turning the sails. You are adjusting/reacting with the wind.

Point being, it is much more important to agree with the wind than to agree with the music. Failing in the one can get you jived (sneered, laughed) at -- while failure in the other can get you dead.

I suppose that even in the Honorverse you are jibing (rigging sails) with grav waves. Certainly not against. (Not to be confused with tacking -- which can literally be into the wind.)

Websters does list it as... : to be in accordance with, : to agree, as its 3rd definition.

3jibe
verb

jibed jib·ing

Definition of JIBE

intransitive verb

: to be in accord : agree

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jibe

Besides, jiving (dancing) with someone/something does not necessarily imply -- cannot efficiently and appropriately be used to imply : to agree : in accord.

Someone might be doing the watusi (a solo dance) and the other the jive turkey -- completely out of tune and step, discordant. Or the music may be of a moderate tempo but someone's dancing like a lit firecracker is lodged in one's orifice.

You ever seen a black guy dancing with a white girl? Whatever the hell she's doing nobody knows. Their thoughts may be in agreement, but their dancing sure as hell ain't. lol

There was a time when Blacks never could have been convinced that Whites dance with the music, not even to the beat of their own drums -- lest the drummer's drunk. Totally discordant.

Things've gotten much better since SOUUUUUUUL TRAIN! But still.

I'm half Native American -- totally jibing, in tune with the universe. So we can dance if we want to...

Post by tlb   » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:57 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Good luck convincing Relax of that. Book learning is great, but a lack of common sense is dangerous. Even when everyone was telling him and showing him examples of even newspaper articles. I don't follow the masses either, but damn.

The most puzzling aspect of the entire (disagreement) from such an educated guy is his statement that jibe doesn't make sense as far as meaning to agree, because it is a sailing term???

I was shocked at that statement because he is just as much a fan of the HV as I am. And sailing teaches you if you don't agree with the wind, it can get you dead.

In the HV, if your ship doesn't jibe (sailing term) with grav waves, you're a goner! Better get those sails properly configured. My last post is below, and I never heard from him again.

I have only argued with him twice.

The first time was whether people in the Honorverse have to behave the same as people in our universe; this is the same argument that I have had with you. With him it was whether women could work in heavy industry.

The second was when I said that the P-38 had trouble with its turbochargers, at high attitude over Germany in winter, because of the low temperatures and should have had a supercharger like the one in the P-51. He correctly claimed that the P-38 did a supercharger. But it was only a single state and the turbocharger had to be added for high altitude work, whereas the P-51 had a multistage supercharger. I deeply regret this disagreement, because we were both correct and were not understanding what the other was saying. I have also had this problem with you.

At some point it is better to just walk away.
Post by penny   » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:14 pm

penny
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:
penny wrote:Good luck convincing Relax of that. Book learning is great, but a lack of common sense is dangerous. Even when everyone was telling him and showing him examples of even newspaper articles. I don't follow the masses either, but damn.

I have only argued with him twice.

The first time was whether people in the Honorverse have to behave the same as people in our universe; this is the same argument that I have had with you. With him it was whether women could work in heavy industry.

The second was when I said that the P-38 had trouble with its turbochargers, at high attitude over Germany in winter, because of the low temperatures and should have had a supercharger like the one in the P-51. He correctly claimed that the P-38 did a supercharger. But it was only a single state and the turbocharger had to be added for high altitude work, whereas the P-51 had a multistage supercharger. I deeply regret this disagreement, because we were both correct and were not understanding what the other was saying. I have also had this problem with you.

At some point it is better to just walk away.

It is better to walk away. I was sad at that encounter, because I really thought simply missed a new way to use a word.

You and I have built our relationship in the crucible of fire. No doubt. I think a lot of it was from misunderstandings. But through it all, I enjoyed our disagreements. Mostly. :oops: It fueled good discussion. I do not want someone to agree with me for the sake of. That's no fun. Neither is disagreement for the sake of. But I will never be able to stomach blatant disrespect.

Like I imagine Nimitz constantly communicated to Honor about Pavel Young, <It rubs me the wrong way Honor>

The pandemic has taught me that life is short. I don't want to spend my time fighting.

At any rate, one must have a well-rounded education. My parents were first to teach me the value of a well-rounded education ...

"Travel the globe at least a month of your summer vacation, son. Travel gives you an education you won't find in textbooks."

Return to Honorverse