Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 144 guests

A Rising Thunder Audiobook, Chapters out of order

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
A Rising Thunder Audiobook, Chapters out of order
Post by joshstrange   » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:03 pm

joshstrange
Midshipman

I tried searching the forums to see if this had been discussed before but I was unsuccessful so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

As you may be aware the book "A Rising Thunder" on Audible has it's chapters out of order.

As "K. Dorsey" says in a review:

Disappointed the chapters are out of order. This made it difficult to enjoy. Here’s the lineup:
Start with chapter 15 - 25 (book chapters 1 - 11).
Then chapter 1 -14 (book chapters 12- 24).
Chapter 26 - 36 (book chapters 25 to end. )
Confusing huh?

I couldn't agree more. The first 3-4 times I read (listened) to this book I was very confused. The Honorverse has a few time jumps (such as in this book when we join Zilwicki and Cachat on the trip from Mesa to Haven even though in the previous book we end with them in Manticore). I didn't notice the chapters were out of order and originally thought this was a very odd way to write a book.

I now know it wasn't written this way and listening to in the correct order makes a world of difference.

I backup all my audiobooks to my own server for safekeeping which also gives me the opportunity to modify the books if needed. I've re-cut a few books, a different series, into multiple parts so I can listen to it chronologically. Reorganizing the audio was the easy part, getting audiobook chapters inserted correctly turned out to be a massive challenge all on it's own taking me a couple hours and spending more on software to fix it than I spent on the book originally. I was just in too deep to stop.

All that to say I have a re-cut version of "A Rising Thunder" with the correct audiobook chapter markers in m4b format.

I am posting here because I'm not sure where else to post this information. I don't condone audiobook piracy (I buy all mine from Audible) and I have no intention to share this re-cut version with anyone aside from 2 friends who I know also bought the audiobook. Mostly I was wondering if there is anyway I can get this copy to David Weber who can then get the Audible version updated. It's been over 10 years since the audiobook came out and it's still not been fixed so I don't have any faith that the publisher is going to do anything about it. For all I know Mr Webber has no control over this or the ability to update the book but I figured since I spent the time to make the correct version I might as well throw a hail mary and post here.

For some reason messages from this forum go to my spam folder (I marked it not as spam so hopefully that helps) but if you need to reach out to me you can email me at josh [at] joshstrange [dot] com

I love the series and I'm glad that further rereads will go smoothly for me and my friends at least.
Re: A Rising Thunder Audiobook, Chapters out of order
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:44 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

If you're on gmail, and 99% sure for other platforms, you can filter your emails to not go to your spam filter.
Re: A Rising Thunder Audiobook, Chapters out of order
Post by EwaldVandervort   » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:07 am

EwaldVandervort
Midshipman

Shannon_Foraker wrote:If you're on gmail, and 99% sure for other platforms, you can filter your emails to not go to your spam filter.getting over it

Even though I filter emails as desired, sometimes it still fails.

Return to Honorverse