Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

The Alamo Contingency has already failed

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Alamo Contingency has already failed
Post by penny   » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:51 am

penny
Commodore

tlb wrote:
penny wrote:IINM, it goes into detail how close they flew to it for months and never saw it.

But you are wrong if you mean military ships. That page goes on to say that no Park Service ship has overflown that spot for two hundred years. So he had to look into imagery from private vehicles, since no commercial transport flies over that spot. There he found one image from five years ago that shows half of a luxury air car as it enters the shielded area.

More imagery may have existed before the Malign started erasing things with nuclear explosions that occurred as the GA fleet arrived.

I agree, they were not military ships. But as I opined just a klick or so upstream - if I had to guess - the fabric was not military grade tech. Or the GA might figure out how to counter it.

But something else just occurred to me. How did they obtain those images? Wouldn't those images be from a military grade source? Which still lost the ship as it entered the stealthed area. Even if it wasn't radar or lidar.

PS tlb I am still amazed that you found that passage. I can't thank you enough.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:19 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:I agree, they were not military ships. But as I opined just a klick or so upstream - if I had to guess - the fabric was not military grade tech. Or the GA might figure out how to counter it.

But something else just occurred to me. How did they obtain those images? Wouldn't those images be from a military grade source? Which still lost the ship as it entered the stealthed area. Even if it wasn't radar or lidar.
I don't think it was from a military grade sensor. It was described as being from a "privately owned shuttle" - and that very likely means a civilian grade sensor (likely just a camera; given the way the image is described).

Sensor records that were from before the capture of Mesa - but found afterward by Zilwicki when he was able to use the occupation's abridgements of citizens' rights for a warrantless search of all electronic records.

To End In Fire wrote:“Once I got Damien and Indy’s report, I started searching for imagery of the island,” he said. “At which point I discovered another interesting thing. The most recent overhead imagery in the official Park Service archives is well over two hundred T-years old. Apparently, no Park Service ranger has overflown the island in the last two centuries. Not only that, but there’s no more recent imagery in any official archive anywhere on the planet. Or none we’ve been able to access yet, at any rate. And that is not something that could’ve happened by accident.
“So I extended my search beyond the official records. At the moment,” he smiled thinly, “the system constitution’s prohibitions against warrantless searches of full citizens’ electronic data are…in abeyance, let’s say. That was one hell of a lot of data to crunch, and it turned out that there was a fair amount of imagery of the island in private hands. A ‘fair amount’ given that it’s in the middle of an enormous nature preserve which just happens to not be crossed by any commercial air routes, at any rate. Which is to say, not a vast treasure trove, but one hell of a lot more than I really expected. Most of what I found is pretty bland and useless for our purposes, but my algorithms finally turned up something very interesting from a privately owned shuttle that overflew the area about five years back.”
Post by tlb   » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:21 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:But something else just occurred to me. How did they obtain those images? Wouldn't those images be from a military grade source? Which still lost the ship as it entered the stealthed area. Even if it wasn't radar or lidar.

Before the invasion, the Malign (through its covert influence of the government) controlled all military grade equipment on Mesa. At the time of the invasion that location was exploded; so why expect that there might exist a military grade investigation of that site? Even the Park Service, responsible for the nature preserve, did not have imagery of that location for the previous five hundred years.
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:15 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

If the Alignment plan was to use all that "conventional" production from Galton to feed both the various fragments of the SL and other Political multi-system governments that would be in the vast conflagration of the breaking up of the SL and the ....lets use Dark Ages... of the feud between breakaway systems and all the warlords and and just opportunists, it will have another source. What are the chances that the Technodyne manufacturing system will survive untouched...let me help...next to nothing..as "somebody" will want to remove the major shipyard/military yard from producing anything to slow down the slaughter. One LD, how many manufacturing targets in Yuildin (spelling)....not a problem.

So what are the chances that the Alignment does not now have at least building the capacity to supply the other than Spyder type ships to meet their respective need and to both build all the equipment they expect to need for both themselves and export to the people they are supporting in fighting/revolutions AND supply the large commercial transports.

Oh , and exactly how do we think the Alignment is going to move all that stuff out (and get what they need back) other than through the Felix "secret" wormhole? All the Streak Drives in the universe are not going to recover the "inside the communications " advantage if all that traffic has to start somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 LY outside of explored human space.

No information give on the actual locations of the other ends of the Felix Junction. That reminds me, it is the Felix Junction or is Felix one terminus of a wormhole by the system that contains Darius. That is still unclear to me,.

So many questions,...l:)
Post by penny   » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:29 am

penny
Commodore

tlb wrote:
penny wrote:But something else just occurred to me. How did they obtain those images? Wouldn't those images be from a military grade source? Which still lost the ship as it entered the stealthed area. Even if it wasn't radar or lidar.

Before the invasion, the Malign (through its covert influence of the government) controlled all military grade equipment on Mesa. At the time of the invasion that location was exploded; so why expect that there might exist a military grade investigation of that site? Even the Park Service, responsible for the nature preserve, did not have imagery of that location for the previous five hundred years.

It occurs to me, would military grade sensors be normally directed at the planet where it can take the paint off the hull err skin?

Post by penny   » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:38 am

penny
Commodore

Brigade XO wrote:If the Alignment plan was to use all that "conventional" production from Galton to feed both the various fragments of the SL and other Political multi-system governments that would be in the vast conflagration of the breaking up of the SL and the ....lets use Dark Ages... of the feud between breakaway systems and all the warlords and and just opportunists, it will have another source. What are the chances that the Technodyne manufacturing system will survive untouched...let me help...next to nothing..as "somebody" will want to remove the major shipyard/military yard from producing anything to slow down the slaughter. One LD, how many manufacturing targets in Yuildin (spelling)....not a problem.

So what are the chances that the Alignment does not now have at least building the capacity to supply the other than Spyder type ships to meet their respective need and to both build all the equipment they expect to need for both themselves and export to the people they are supporting in fighting/revolutions AND supply the large commercial transports.

Oh , and exactly how do we think the Alignment is going to move all that stuff out (and get what they need back) other than through the Felix "secret" wormhole? All the Streak Drives in the universe are not going to recover the "inside the communications " advantage if all that traffic has to start somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 LY outside of explored human space.

No information give on the actual locations of the other ends of the Felix Junction. That reminds me, it is the Felix Junction or is Felix one terminus of a wormhole by the system that contains Darius. That is still unclear to me,.

So many questions,...l:)

Interesting thoughts Brigade. First I certainly agree with you on the problem of logistics the MA would have with movement of materials. Import and export. That is one reason I think the MA has their own manufacturing facilities located in Darius Space. And I think Galton is connected to Darius via a local wormhole. I don't understand why the denizens of Galton have not questioned where their hardware comes from. I didn't get the feeling Galton was manufacturing their own ships. Did I miss that? They had warships and podlayers being developed.

Post by tlb   » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:52 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:First I certainly agree with you on the problem of logistics the MA would have with movement of materials. Import and export. That is one reason I think the MA has their own manufacturing facilities located in Darius Space. And I think Galton is connected to Darius via a local wormhole. I don't understand why the denizens of Galton have not questioned where their hardware comes from. I didn't get the feeling Galton was manufacturing their own ships. Did I miss that? They had warships and podlayers being developed.

There is no evidence that that there are any wormholes associated with Galton. That is why it was possible to triangulate Galton's position, because of the delivery of weapons manufactured there. I believe that is even stated in TEif when discussing why Darius became the hiding place for the Detweilers, even though Galton was discovered first.

The idea that citizens of Galton might wonder where they get their equipment, is one major reason why Galton has to be self-sufficient in manufacturing. If they weren't, then the GA would also wonder and the Alamo Contingency would not make it past the first hurdle.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:23 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:No information give on the actual locations of the other ends of the Felix Junction. That reminds me, it is the Felix Junction or is Felix one terminus of a wormhole by the system that contains Darius. That is still unclear to me,.

It's the Felix Junction.

It has 4 explored termini outside of Felix itself: Darius, The Twins, and two more we have yet to be told where they connect to. All three of those termini may have tactical or strategic advantages, but we can't know right now because we haven't been given their astrographic coordinates. We know where Felix is - 12 light-years out from Mannerheim and therefore from the Mannerheim-Warner Warp Bridge, and about 200 light-years from Galton.

Mannerheim-Warner is blocked. It was never unrestricted and free movement because it was too visible a warp bridge. The Mannerheim side was compromised, but the Warner side - an SL member - wasn't, at least not too much. And it's definitely known now, because Zilwicki and Cachat paid a visit there, and both the GA and the SL2.0 are paying attention to it.

The Felix termini are still available to the MAlign. But to go from Darius to any of them, one has to go through Felix. If Felix is discovered, it can be blocked easily. Legally, if Mannerheim and thus the RF do claim the system, they could refuse the GA any right to post ships there. But doing so after Felix is discovered to contain MAlign traffic invites scrutiny on the RF itself. The SLN ONI chief already thinks they're "smarmy."

The legal right to post ships on the junction would not apply to ships out from the junction and just observing it. Therefore, if Felix is discovered, spider-drive ships can't move through it whether it is still guarded by the MAN/RFN or not.
Post by markusschaber   » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:12 am

markusschaber
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

wyrm wrote:(This analysis ignores the fact that Zach MacBride is not on Galton. Both Arianne MacBride and Damien Harahap have expressed an intent to find him. Once Ruth and Anton start tracing Alignment evacuees on Galton, the existence of Dalton will become obvious. I may pursue this in future)

Zach MacBride could just have been killed on the travel, or escaped his guard, or been killed during the battle. His non-existence on Galton might be an indicator, but it's not hard proof.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:19 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

markusschaber wrote:Zach MacBride could just have been killed on the travel, or escaped his guard, or been killed during the battle. His non-existence on Galton might be an indicator, but it's not hard proof.

And we know he almost was.

But his is not an isolated case. There will be too many people who didn't arrive at Galton at all.

Return to Honorverse