Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 163 guests

Any insights?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Any insights?
Post by JoseWilson   » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:47 am

JoseWilson
Midshipman

As I was revisiting "Storm from the Shadows," I encountered this passage: "Artemis' combat information center had analyzed the (slowly) arriving sublight transmissions from the recon probes." I previously believed that radio waves and, of course, "whisker beams," traveled at the speed of light. Do you have any insights on this matter?
Re: Any insights?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:19 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

JoseWilson wrote:As I was revisiting "Storm from the Shadows," I encountered this passage: "Artemis' combat information center had analyzed the (slowly) arriving sublight transmissions from the recon probes." I previously believed that radio waves and, of course, "whisker beams," traveled at the speed of light. Do you have any insights on this matter?

Doing a search, while 99% of the time David Weber used that word it was in relation to ships, LACs, shuttles, or missiles there were two other spots it was used in reference to communication.

"Time of response to our sublight challenge, Harper?" Honor asked her com officer. [War of Honor]

And she was continuing to transmit her sublight challenges and demands that he identify himself as she came. [War of Honor]

However I believe is all three cases it was used as a sloppy shorthand for "non-FTL communication" from a navy that had become used to grav-based FTL communication links; rather than some kind of actually slower than laser, or slower than radio, signal.
Post by kzt   » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:57 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Recon drones typically use FTL comms, but they have alternatives.

I have no idea why David wrote it that way (maybe he should let Baen edit him?) but I think he is saying light speed comms.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:15 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Recon drones typically use FTL comms, but they have alternatives.

I have no idea why David wrote it that way (maybe he should let Baen edit him?) but I think he is saying light speed comms.

We could be pedantic - even light does not move at c in 99% of observable conditions - Since light speed (c) is defined as the speed of light in a vacuum (ie, with ZERO particle interactions) and even the interstellar medium is not a perfect vacuum, Light will always be observed to move Slightly slower than the definition of "The Speed of Light" (c).

So TECHNICALLY, Sub-Light is correct terminology.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Daryl   » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:43 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Fully agree. We can become too "trainspotterish" about fine details.
Sublight obviously means not FTL" in the author's fictional story.

Jonathan_S wrote:
JoseWilson wrote:As I was revisiting "Storm from the Shadows," I encountered this passage: "Artemis' combat information center had analyzed the (slowly) arriving sublight transmissions from the recon probes." I previously believed that radio waves and, of course, "whisker beams," traveled at the speed of light. Do you have any insights on this matter?

Doing a search, while 99% of the time David Weber used that word it was in relation to ships, LACs, shuttles, or missiles there were two other spots it was used in reference to communication.

"Time of response to our sublight challenge, Harper?" Honor asked her com officer. [War of Honor]

And she was continuing to transmit her sublight challenges and demands that he identify himself as she came. [War of Honor]

However I believe is all three cases it was used as a sloppy shorthand for "non-FTL communication" from a navy that had become used to grav-based FTL communication links; rather than some kind of actually slower than laser, or slower than radio, signal.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:25 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:We could be pedantic - even light does not move at c in 99% of observable conditions - Since light speed (c) is defined as the speed of light in a vacuum (ie, with ZERO particle interactions) and even the interstellar medium is not a perfect vacuum, Light will always be observed to move Slightly slower than the definition of "The Speed of Light" (c).

So TECHNICALLY, Sub-Light is correct terminology.

Plus, transceivers introduce non-zero delays because computers (even molycirc ones) aren't instantaneous.

But it seems that "sublight" is used in the Honorverse novels to mean "light-speed".
Post by Joat42   » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:05 pm

Joat42
Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:But it seems that "sublight" is used in the Honorverse novels to mean "light-speed".

I think its just a brainfart, don't read too much into it. Ships moving in hyper are traveling FTL but are considered sublight in normal space - rfc mistakenly carried that thinking over to communications in this instance since everywhere else it is referred to as lightspeed comms.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:47 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:I think its just a brainfart, don't read too much into it. Ships moving in hyper are traveling FTL but are considered sublight in normal space - rfc mistakenly carried that thinking over to communications in this instance since everywhere else it is referred to as lightspeed comms.

You can always just explain it away by saying that the characters use physically-erroneous expressions, but RFC knew all along.

Return to Honorverse