Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 146 guests

Left or Right?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Left or Right?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:26 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Except that she didn't take Nimitz to duels, as he wouldn't have been able to control himself if she lost.

And she didn't wear the RMN Class A uniform to it either.

The artist clearly took a licence in drawing, so Nimitz sitting on her left shoulder is part of it too. Though if she were carrying a weapon, I do expect him to be over her non-dominant arm, either because he knows it may be needed (later in life, I guess, when she has managed to explain the concept of weapons and striking at a distance) or because she just shoved him there.

Also the more reason for him to normally ride her right shoulder: her left arm conceals a weapon.
Post by tlb   » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:44 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Also the more reason for him to normally ride her right shoulder: her left arm conceals a weapon.

That would not be true until Ashes of Victory or War of Honor; so clearly irrelevant for Field of Dishonor.

Also her electronic eye gives her a view from the gun, allowing her to shoot accurately from the hip; so there is no need to disturb the cat on her shoulder (whichever one that is).
Post by Louis R   » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:17 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

For all we know, Manticore has revived the old British practice of saluting on the side closest to the person being complimented.

In which case, either the 'cat does a lot of shuffling, or it's regarded as irrelevant.

phillies wrote:
dscott8 wrote:This is a very trivial question, but I'm obsessed with it.

There are several references to Nimitz riding on Honor's right shoulder. It seems to me that his presence there would interfere with rendering a proper salute, and that by regulation, treecats should ride the left shoulder of personnel in uniform.

Thoughts?

Do we have any idea what a Manticoran salute looks like?
Post by tlb   » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:49 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Louis R wrote:For all we know, Manticore has revived the old British practice of saluting on the side closest to the person being complimented.

In which case, either the 'cat does a lot of shuffling, or it's regarded as irrelevant.

If the cat's claws are dug into the reinforced fabric, then he could just lean back to get out of the way. If his normal position is not too far forward of Honor's face, then he might not have to move very much - if at all.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:21 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Louis R wrote:For all we know, Manticore has revived the old British practice of saluting on the side closest to the person being complimented.

Ha, a 'cat thought of as irrelevant. They probably have a notion about that.

Anyway, that made me think that at least one must have thought it funny to also salute every time their person did. Wasn't there also a ruling that treecats are members of the RMN, not mere passengers, though not officers, enlisted, or warrants?

Speaking of aliens joining the military, couldn't Stilts exercise that right too?
Post by tlb   » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:44 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Speaking of aliens joining the military, couldn't Stilts exercise that right too?

When last seen the Stilty civilization was at a gunpowder level with laws against outsiders bringing advanced technology for them. I would expect that would bar them from serving in any modern military.

When Manticore annexed Basilisk, things may have changed somewhat. But, if so, I am unaware whether enough changed to allow what is suggested.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:20 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

dscott8 wrote:This is a very trivial question, but I'm obsessed with it.

There are several references to Nimitz riding on Honor's right shoulder. It seems to me that his presence there would interfere with rendering a proper salute, and that by regulation, treecats should ride the left shoulder of personnel in uniform.

Thoughts?

To be honest, the illustration looks like the artist might have been told to render a Royal Navy style salute. That would make sense, since the original concept was Hornblower In Space.

The RN salute is to raise the right hand with palm down, by the shortest route, to somewhere in the region of your eyebrow. It’s fairly easy to do with something (like a kit bag) on your shoulder, especially if the ‘something’ is a ‘cat quite capable of adjusting their balance.

Return to Honorverse