Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 168 guests

Honorverse story published on Baen.com

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse story published on Baen.com
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:51 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

dvdscar wrote:I have plans for Timothy. :D

David

ThinksMarkedly wrote:I finished reading it last night. Thank you for the story, it was a really good one! I think you managed to capture Honor's personality really well and helping the family is exactly the sort of thing we'd expect from her.

Now we have to wonder what became of them...

Ohh... Doing another one? :)
Post by saber964   » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:52 pm

saber964
Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:I finished reading it last night. Thank you for the story, it was a really good one! I think you managed to capture Honor's personality really well and helping the family is exactly the sort of thing we'd expect from her.

Now we have to wonder what became of them...

Rebecca Hanks is the director of several orphanages on Grayson.
Timothy Hanks is a Armsman Lieutenant with the Harrington Steadholders Guard and is shift CO of Harrington House.
Elizabeth Hanks is attending ISU on Beowulf and living with Honors grandparents while attending school.
Post by LadyNav   » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:03 pm

LadyNav
Midshipman

Oh, my, that's wonderful! Completely in character for all of them, and the kids are a delight! I'm eager to read their tales - soon, please?
Post by dvdscar   » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:36 am

dvdscar
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

saber964 wrote:Rebecca Hanks is the director of several orphanages on Grayson.
Timothy Hanks is a Armsman Lieutenant with the Harrington Steadholders Guard and is shift CO of Harrington House.
Elizabeth Hanks is attending ISU on Beowulf and living with Honors grandparents while attending school.

Um, nope.

Well, actually, Rebecca might could do something like that. But not a chance for Timothy and Elizabeth.

Timothy will become a fourth generation pastor, following in his father's and illustrious grandfather's footsteps. (I know of a family in modern America who did that. The fourth generation pastor is about 20 years younger than me.)

Elizabeth will either be the one in the Harrington Steadholder's guard, or she'll be at Saganami Island.

;)

David
Post by dvdscar   » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:39 am

dvdscar

Shannon_Foraker wrote:
dvdscar wrote:I have plans for Timothy. :D

David

Ohh... Doing another one? :)

I've proposed an idea to His Weberness and Dame Toni.

David
Post by saber964   » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:19 am

saber964
Admiral

dvdscar wrote:
saber964 wrote:Rebecca Hanks is the director of several orphanages on Grayson.

Um, nope.

Well, actually, Rebecca might could do something like that. But not a chance for Timothy and Elizabeth.

Timothy will become a fourth generation pastor, following in his father's and illustrious grandfather's footsteps. (I know of a family in modern America who did that. The fourth generation pastor is about 20 years younger than me.)

Elizabeth will either be the one in the Harrington Steadholder's guard, or she'll be at Saganami Island.

;)

David

Did I mention that Elizabeth plans on working at the Dr.Jennifer Chou Genetic Clinic.
Post by penny   » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:40 am

penny
Captain of the List

dvdscar wrote:A few years ago, with David Weber's permission and encouragement, I wrote an Honor Harrington short story titled "Requiem". It takes place immediately after the conclusion of the novel Flag In Exile. The original plans for publication didn't gel, and it ended up being published in Grantville Gazette Issue 86 in November 2019.

I moved on.

A few weeks ago David Afsharirad from Baen contacted me and asked if I was interested in having Baen republish that story on Baen.com. I must have been particularly smart that day, as it only took me about a half-second to say YES.

They posted it last week. If you haven't had a chance to read it, go check it out. https://www.baen.com/requiem

Read. Enjoy. Comment.

It's one of my favorites of my own stories, even if it is laid in someone else's universe. ;)

David

David, this is one of the best stories I have read in the Honorverse. It is immeasurably more than its weight in salt; judging by the alarming amount of tears pouring from my face. You certainly understand Honor and other characters quite well. I would simply love to meet little Elizabeth and Timothy! Only way for me to do that, David, is to see them again!!!

But what is it with HV novels causing me to expel liquids from my face? What a wonderfully intimate story. It will forever be one of my most favorite reads. Especially with me being a Christian, the way you presented Reverend Hanks and the way you handled the subject, period. Through tear-filled eyes of joy... THANKS!

"Is it possible for a David on David double hitter? A collaboration???" Cthia coyly asks with eyes beaming like Elizabeth's, with childlike hope and anticipation.

P.S. Now I want to seek out some of your other work!

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by GregD   » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:42 pm

GregD
Commander

dvdscar wrote:A few years ago, with David Weber's permission and encouragement, I wrote an Honor Harrington short story titled "Requiem". It takes place immediately after the conclusion of the novel Flag In Exile. The original plans for publication didn't gel, and it ended up being published in Grantville Gazette Issue 86 in November 2019.

I moved on.

A few weeks ago David Afsharirad from Baen contacted me and asked if I was interested in having Baen republish that story on Baen.com. I must have been particularly smart that day, as it only took me about a half-second to say YES.

They posted it last week. If you haven't had a chance to read it, go check it out. https://www.baen.com/requiem

Read. Enjoy. Comment.

It's one of my favorites of my own stories, even if it is laid in someone else's universe. ;)

David

So I take it this means it is Honorverse canon?

Good story, I enjoyed it.

With Eric Flint dead, will there be any more Jao stories? Or is that universe now done?
Post by dvdscar   » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:05 am

dvdscar

penny wrote:

I moved on.

Read. Enjoy. Comment.

David

David, this is one of the best stories I have read in the Honorverse. It is immeasurably more than its weight in salt; judging by the alarming amount of tears pouring from my face. You certainly understand Honor and other characters quite well. I would simply love to meet little Elizabeth and Timothy! Only way for me to do that, David, is to see them again!!!

But what is it with HV novels causing me to expel liquids from my face? What a wonderfully intimate story. It will forever be one of my most favorite reads. Especially with me being a Christian, the way you presented Reverend Hanks and the way you handled the subject, period. Through tear-filled eyes of joy... THANKS!

"Is it possible for a David on David double hitter? A collaboration???" Cthia coyly asks with eyes beaming like Elizabeth's, with childlike hope and anticipation.

P.S. Now I want to seek out some of your other work!

Thanks for the compliment. This is one of those stories that you know something like this had to have happened, and I wanted to read it, so I got David's permission and I wrote it. :) I've proposed a sequel to DW and Toni. I need to follow up with them.

Feel free to follow up on my other work. Most of it is laid in Eric Flint's Ring of Fire universe, but my most recent book The Blood Is the Life from Baen, is a solo stand-alone that you might really like since you liked "Requiem".

David
Post by dvdscar   » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:17 am

dvdscar

GregD wrote:

I moved on.

Read. Enjoy. Comment.

David

So I take it this means it is Honorverse canon?

Good story, I enjoyed it.

With Eric Flint dead, will there be any more Jao stories? Or is that universe now done?

Well, "Requiem" had DW's stamp of approval when it was first published, so it was at least protocanon at that point. But since it's now been published by Baen, I think it is officially now canon for the Honorverse, yes.

As for the Jao-verse, I'm afraid that's officially a dead project now. Those books were all officially built on outlines by Eric. I'm sure I could write a good solo story for the series, but the writing voice would be so different from the collaborations that I'm afraid it wouldn't sell well.

On the other hand, Eric and I had worked up a collaborative outline some time ago for a totally new space opera novel, tentatively titled Hydra, that I'm currently working on, so keep your eyes peeled for that.

David

Return to Honorverse