Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 155 guests

in In Fire Forged - Ruthless

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
in In Fire Forged - Ruthless
Post by JamieMacPherson   » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:39 pm

JamieMacPherson
Ensign

I am reading though the series in chronological order with all the audible i can get and https://honorverse.fandom.com/wiki/Honorverse_novels lists Ruthless as taking place before On Basilisk station 1894 PD but Judith references the Grayson Treaty which doesn'st take place till the honor of the queen is the list order wrong or am I mistaken and Grayson treaty happened prior to Admiral Raoul Courvosier and Honors mission to Grayson?

Thanks,
Jamie
Re: in In Fire Forged - Ruthless
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:46 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

JamieMacPherson wrote:I am reading though the series in chronological order with all the audible i can get and https://honorverse.fandom.com/wiki/Honorverse_novels lists Ruthless as taking place before On Basilisk station 1894 PD but Judith references the Grayson Treaty which doesn'st take place till the honor of the queen is the list order wrong or am I mistaken and Grayson treaty happened prior to Admiral Raoul Courvosier and Honors mission to Grayson?

She must be referring to some other treaty. There may be two treaties with similar names.

Though 1894 PD would make Ruth nearly 10 years older than Berry, which makes one passing for the other during Crown of Slaves doubtful. Though it's still possible, with Ruth having received third generation prolong at a young age (pre-adolescence), while Berry only got them after she was rescued after the Manpower Incident, when she was already 13 or 14. Plus, they both got cosmetic alterations to make them look similar.

Either way, there's no way Ruthless could have happened after HotQ, because then Ruth would only be 16 or 17 at the time of CS1 and it's doubtful Queen Elizabeth would send Ruth to represent the Kingdom to Hieronymus Stein's funeral if she were that young.
Post by kzt   » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:16 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

There are some issues with the timeline for those stories. They are great stories, but they don’t fit the timeline very well. Ask yourself why the minor detail of Ruth didn’t get mentioned by anyone in HotQ. So don’t lift the curtain very high…
Post by Theemile   » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:12 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:There are some issues with the timeline for those stories. They are great stories, but they don’t fit the timeline very well. Ask yourself why the minor detail of Ruth didn’t get mentioned by anyone in HotQ. So don’t lift the curtain very high…

One would have thought the recent incident with the Queen's brother would have been part of the background brief about the Masada/Grayson relationship. Perhaps it was "off-camera". (In the real world such details hadn't been thought of yet - such are the perils of writing a series out of order, and having 3rd parties writing random stories in the universe.)
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by saber964   » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:45 pm

saber964
Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
JamieMacPherson wrote:I am reading though the series in chronological order with all the audible i can get and https://honorverse.fandom.com/wiki/Honorverse_novels lists Ruthless as taking place before On Basilisk station 1894 PD but Judith references the Grayson Treaty which doesn'st take place till the honor of the queen is the list order wrong or am I mistaken and Grayson treaty happened prior to Admiral Raoul Courvosier and Honors mission to Grayson?

She must be referring to some other treaty. There may be two treaties with similar names.

Though 1894 PD would make Ruth nearly 10 years older than Berry, which makes one passing for the other during Crown of Slaves doubtful. Though it's still possible, with Ruth having received third generation prolong at a young age (pre-adolescence), while Berry only got them after she was rescued after the Manpower Incident, when she was already 13 or 14. Plus, they both got cosmetic alterations to make them look similar.

Either way, there's no way Ruthless could have happened after HotQ, because then Ruth would only be 16 or 17 at the time of CS1 and it's doubtful Queen Elizabeth would send Ruth to represent the Kingdom to Hieronymus Stein's funeral if she were that young.

Ruths age in COS is stated as 23. Barry's is 17. But was 13 in FtH which took place in 1914PD.

The timeline around the Winton's tend to be mushy as hell
Post by Relax   » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:40 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Well I see your problem...

You think wiki is a source. It is not.
It is a source of angst. Half is made of hot air.

http://www.thefifthimperium.com and collected words of DW is a source. His books are a source. EDIT: website works just fine

Ruthless by date due to Berry/Ruth's ages has to have happened ~congruently roughly speaking with On Basilisk Station.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:05 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:Well I see your problem...

You think wiki is a source. It is not.
It is a source of angst. Half is made of hot air.

http://www.thefifthimperium.com and collected words of DW is a source. His books are a source. EDIT: website works just fine

Ruthless by date due to Berry/Ruth's ages has to have happened ~congruently roughly speaking with On Basilisk Station.

Yeah, reference the Wiki, but never trust it. lots of stuff has appeared in the wiki that was invented out of thin air, and there is no way to tell (from a glance) which is true or not.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse