Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 164 guests

First Havenite war

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: First Havenite war
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:20 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:So while there might not be a lot of ships that return to Manticore promptly, Haven can't necessarily determine how many surviving ships can return directly. Any good military planner will expect a high figure can return directly, and plan for that.

Indeed, but you know when they left and you can play a game of cat and mouse in the Haven system preventing their return without committing to a battle that will seriously damage them. They either leave quickly or they leave with damage, as damage accumulating is going do erode fighting capability.

If the fleet from Seaford Nine takes 6 extra days to arrive compared to the shortest, direct course from Haven, it should arrive in the window where the least damaged units have arrived, but the bulk of the units, with damage, haven't. The commander on the scene has the option of disengaging without attacking if the defences prove too formidable.

Two problems with this plan: first, I don't think 6 days is enough. The distance delta itself should make up 6 days, because Seaford Nine is probably not on the direct line between the two. More importantly, the fleet ready won't be ready to ship at a moment's notice. A fast turnaround time would have been 2 days, and I doubt that the PN would have been able to achieve that. The fleet probably wouldn't be drilled to attacking the MBS, so wouldn't do a good accounting of itself if the defences were prepared.

The second is that those defences may be a deception themselves, like Honor and Theisman did during Filareta's visit. They may trick the PN into attacking by having too little visible in terms of defences, while the bulk is hiding. Similarly, they could trick the Capital Fleet into thinking they were attacking with bigger forces than they actually were.
Re: First Havenite war
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:18 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:If you can't get to the top bands, then that's a big problem. But again I don't expect that to be a major problem: they appear to be able to get to any band in hyper or not at all. The hypergenerator doesn't appear to be a distributed component susceptible to damage. I could be wrong here, because it would make more physical sense if it were distributed (using the nodes, perhaps) because it needs to envelop the ship.

I'd point out the counter-example of the armed liner Artemins from HAE. She took hyper generator damage to "both upper stage governors; their molycircs fried when the power runs went. The basic system's intact, but if we try to go higher than the delta bands, the harmonics'll rip us apart."
As she had most of the systems of a RMN Battlecruiser she'd normally have been able to cruise the Theta bands; but that damage cut her strategic speed by somewhat over half!

Also Alpha node damage, which often occurs in combat, can prevent a ship from forming sails. If the system they're in is in a grav wave then they're trapped - but, if like most, it's not inability to switch to sails might still add significant delays to their route home. For example if they have to divert around an intervening grav wave. Or if that wave doesn't reach all the way down to the Alpha bands they might need to 'dive' into those lower bands to work their way past it. Either would cause massive delay.

Return to Honorverse