Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 152 guests

Gravitational waves

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Gravitational waves
Post by Daryl   » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:18 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Reported today that they have detected huge universe wide gravitation waves. Created by cosmic events like black hole collisions, but huge and fairly common.
Yet another prediction by RFC that has come true.
Re: Gravitational waves
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:51 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Reported today that they have detected huge universe wide gravitation waves. Created by cosmic events like black hole collisions, but huge and fairly common.

It's the Cosmic Gravitational Background, which had been predicted. But the explanations I'm seeing are that it's not an echo of the Big Bang, like the Cosmic Microwave Background is and how the Cosmic Neutrino Background is expected to be. Instead, it appears to be a constant "hum" from "current events."

The technique has also been talked about for a while, especially since LIGO and VIRGO came online: we can measure minute variances in distances to quasars. What I wasn't aware of is that they had already been doing this data collection for 15 years!
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:59 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Daryl wrote:Reported today that they have detected huge universe wide gravitation waves. Created by cosmic events like black hole collisions, but huge and fairly common.

It's the Cosmic Gravitational Background, which had been predicted. But the explanations I'm seeing are that it's not an echo of the Big Bang, like the Cosmic Microwave Background is and how the Cosmic Neutrino Background is expected to be. Instead, it appears to be a constant "hum" from "current events."

The technique has also been talked about for a while, especially since LIGO and VIRGO came online: we can measure minute variances in distances to quasars. What I wasn't aware of is that they had already been doing this data collection for 15 years!

We're now getting Galactic Spam:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/gravitational_waves.png
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:48 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

That's intergalactic spam.

Return to Honorverse