Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests

WPV Read Order Question

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
WPV Read Order Question
Post by Caithford   » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:01 pm

Caithford
Midshipman

I've done some googling, and I can't determine if "Deception on Gryphon" should be read before or after "A New Clan." I haven't read "A New Clan" yet because I want to reread the first 3 since it's been like 6 years since the last time I read them.

I've read all the other stories in WPV and they are fantastic.

Also, it is my opinion that First Victory is one of the best stories RFC has written in the last 5 years. Not meant to be a criticism, as I have enjoyed the wrapup of the main series, but it's so very complex that it's hard to track in the last 6-8 books.

My quiet hope is that maybe more stories focus on the society of treecats and their clans AFTER the grand alliance, and how they have improved GA security.
Re: WPV Read Order Question
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:39 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Caithford wrote:I've done some googling, and I can't determine if "Deception on Gryphon" should be read before or after "A New Clan." I haven't read "A New Clan" yet because I want to reread the first 3 since it's been like 6 years since the last time I read them.

I've read all the other stories in WPV and they are fantastic.

Hello Caithford

Chronologically, "A New Clan" happens before "Deception on Gryphon" and if you can, read the book first. The short story happens very short after the end of the book and Stephanie is still a Probationary Ranger (not even 18 T-years old).

But if you can't, then you can still read the short story without losing anything. There's nothing there that depends on the book. There may be a minor spoiler or two for it, like the fourth treecat adoptee, but nothing that will actually spoil the book's conclusions.

Also, it is my opinion that First Victory is one of the best stories RFC has written in the last 5 years. Not meant to be a criticism, as I have enjoyed the wrapup of the main series, but it's so very complex that it's hard to track in the last 6-8 books.

Well... it hasn't wrapped up. It is the end of the Crown of Slaves sub-series, because Eric Flint passed away, though whether it was intended as such or not is unknown (my opinion is that it wasn't, that David wanted to carry on only in sub-series for the moment and now he has to revisit that plan).

I also agree that it is one of David's best.

My quiet hope is that maybe more stories focus on the society of treecats and their clans AFTER the grand alliance, and how they have improved GA security.

That may be something that Jane Lindskold could do after the main series really wraps up. But I think we shouldn't expect much in that area and instead, if she keeps writing, it'll be about the rest of Stephanie's life.
Post by Caithford   » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:48 pm

Caithford
Midshipman

Thanks for the info. I'll sit on it until I finish the novel.

I did see the few updates in the last 12 months that he's going to write 5-ish more books in the honorverse, without Honor as the main POV. I kind of hope we get to see Raphael and Katherine as young adults. Not sure if that'll happen.

Now that the Solarian League is semi-dealt with, and they seem to be tying up loose ends with Mesa, I'm sure the plot hunting down the malign alignment is going to take a bit, and I'm fine with that. Hopefully it gets a little less complex.

My favorite stories are definitely the treecat stories. Changer of Worlds, for example, and the parts of the mainline series after Yamato Crossing was wiped off the face of Sphinx where the treecats came to help the GA against the nanotech assassination (or suicide, really) tech. That's where I'd like to see more character development. The Stephanie Harrington series is *almost* as good, but the treecats can't talk back yet, and hearing their voice through the ears of favorite characters is what I find to be really endearing.

Anyway, I'll go reread the first three SKM books and then read A New Clan.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:19 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Caithford wrote:Thanks for the info. I'll sit on it until I finish the novel.

I did see the few updates in the last 12 months that he's going to write 5-ish more books in the honorverse, without Honor as the main POV. I kind of hope we get to see Raphael and Katherine as young adults. Not sure if that'll happen.

He gave us a list of probable books and counts, but it was a little vague. I do remember him saying "a couple" of Manticore Ascendant books and I said I expect "a couple" to be exactly two. He said that he expects a few more in the mainline series, with a co-author to be announced; I expect 3 to 4 books here. He also said something about the Star Kingdom series but I don't remember the count.

He did say Honor is too senior now to be the main POV character. She's too important to go out in battles, so her contributions are likely to be from Landing City or from one of her three homes. Others will be the main POVs.

But I don't think we'll see the timeline go far enough for Katherine and Raoul to be any more than teenagers. Because of that, I don't expect them to be important in the narrative, nor even get a novel about them like Berry Zilwicki and Ruth Winton did in the first Crown of Slaves. As I've said before here in the forum, the junior roles that were to be filled by them in the Navy and Manticore intelligence have been instead given to Abigail Hearns, Helen Zilwicki, Paulo d'Arezzo, Ruth Winton, etc. Those characters have been built up for several books so it would be a shame not to see them have useful roles.

My favorite stories are definitely the treecat stories. Changer of Worlds, for example, and the parts of the mainline series after Yamato Crossing was wiped off the face of Sphinx where the treecats came to help the GA against the nanotech assassination (or suicide, really) tech. That's where I'd like to see more character development. The Stephanie Harrington series is *almost* as good, but the treecats can't talk back yet, and hearing their voice through the ears of favorite characters is what I find to be really endearing.

I'd also like to see the timeline between Stephanie and Queen Adrienne filled, the same way as between Travis Long and Edward Saganami. Right now, those don't seem to be in David's plans. Given his age, I'm guessing he's not making too many long-term commitments and may be planning to retire at some point, allowing the co-authors to take point.

Don't forget the non-HV books. There's Safehold to finish, Governor to continue; Jacob Holo announced in the Gordian Division forum that they're got a contract for 3 more, ...
Post by Caithford   » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:24 pm

Caithford
Midshipman

You were correct, I probably could have read Deception on Gryphon before A New Clan, but I'm glad I didn't. It was better to read in order.

I didn't find Manticore Ascendant particularly interesting.

I did see his post about which books he wanted to write, and I agree, he should be able to retire when he so wishes.

Oh right, Raoul and Katherine. My bad, it's been a bit since I've read the timeline where they were there.

I agree, any more between Stephanie and Queen Adrienne would be awesome.

I think what I've found that I want more of is just narrative from the perspective of the treecats and their clans. I think the timeline is irrelevant, just more is better imo.

I appreciate all David has given us since the 90's, so I will just try to be grateful for what we get.

I read that like the first three books were a 3 book contract, the next books are a 3 book contract, so we should get 2 more novels after A New Clan.
Post by Louis R   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:41 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

FYI, Jane says she's working on the next one now.

Caithford wrote:You were correct, I probably could have read Deception on Gryphon before A New Clan, but I'm glad I didn't. It was better to read in order.

I didn't find Manticore Ascendant particularly interesting.

I did see his post about which books he wanted to write, and I agree, he should be able to retire when he so wishes.

Oh right, Raoul and Katherine. My bad, it's been a bit since I've read the timeline where they were there.

I agree, any more between Stephanie and Queen Adrienne would be awesome.

I think what I've found that I want more of is just narrative from the perspective of the treecats and their clans. I think the timeline is irrelevant, just more is better imo.

I appreciate all David has given us since the 90's, so I will just try to be grateful for what we get.

I read that like the first three books were a 3 book contract, the next books are a 3 book contract, so we should get 2 more novels after A New Clan.

Return to Honorverse