Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 29 guests

How to avoid "they haven't fought a real war in centuries"?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How to avoid "they haven't fought a real war in centurie
Post by kzt   » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:31 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:
It's a well known approach. There is a minor police action. It is used to test all the neato new weapons, and see which of them actually work and which of them do not.

The problem is that Afghanistan doesn't exactly test critical stuff, like your air defense, air-to-air combat, ballistic missile defenses, or how susceptible you are to REC or electronic attack. It tests your logistics and basic tactical skill.
So you slap each other on the back about how great you are when you don't know. And all your generals write glowing progress reports on how the war is going and the progress they have made. Which turn out to be lies.
Post by phillies   » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:39 am

phillies
Admiral

kzt wrote:
phillies wrote:
It's a well known approach. There is a minor police action. It is used to test all the neato new weapons, and see which of them actually work and which of them do not.

The problem is that Afghanistan doesn't exactly test critical stuff, like your air defense, air-to-air combat, ballistic missile defenses, or how susceptible you are to REC or electronic attack. It tests your logistics and basic tactical skill.
So you slap each other on the back about how great you are when you don't know. And all your generals write glowing progress reports on how the war is going and the progress they have made. Which turn out to be lies.

Well, you need a competent military. And something a bit more dramatic...a Special Military Operation.
Post by kzt   » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:55 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Well, you need a competent military. And something a bit more dramatic...a Special Military Operation.

A three day special military operation! Our generals say that the billions invested has produced a hugely effective force, our intelligence services tell us that the billions they have spent of recruiting agents and propaganda means we will be greeted with flowers as liberators and the enemy military won't fight, with a new government all ready to take over. What could possibly go wrong?

If you have any questions please call me, my 200 meter super yacht in Marina di San Lorenzo has excellent communications facilities.
Post by Fireflair   » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:50 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

I brought this up before I retired from the Navy, in a more moderate way. My primary complaint which I strove to address while I was in was that the USN has become a highly administrative organization. A great deal of what the average sailor does on a daily basis is grounded in paperwork getting completed. This is not to say that individuals are not highly skilled or capable, but the processes which are in place do not encourage skilled individuals but the best administrators.

In part I feel that this stems from the fact that the majority of the USN does not engage in active combat exercises, but also because I feel that those in charge do not see the USN as having any peer challengers, so there is nothing to concern the powers that be.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:39 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Fireflair wrote:I brought this up before I retired from the Navy, in a more moderate way. My primary complaint which I strove to address while I was in was that the USN has become a highly administrative organization. A great deal of what the average sailor does on a daily basis is grounded in paperwork getting completed. This is not to say that individuals are not highly skilled or capable, but the processes which are in place do not encourage skilled individuals but the best administrators.

In part I feel that this stems from the fact that the majority of the USN does not engage in active combat exercises, but also because I feel that those in charge do not see the USN as having any peer challengers, so there is nothing to concern the powers that be.

What was that quote? - " No Inspection ready unit was prepared for combat, and no combat hardened unit would pass inspection."
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:31 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Fireflair wrote:I brought this up before I retired from the Navy, in a more moderate way. My primary complaint which I strove to address while I was in was that the USN has become a highly administrative organization. A great deal of what the average sailor does on a daily basis is grounded in paperwork getting completed. This is not to say that individuals are not highly skilled or capable, but the processes which are in place do not encourage skilled individuals but the best administrators.

I forget exactly what percentage of US sub COs were relieved within 6 months of Pearl Harbor, but it was a huge percentage. Like 2/3rds. The things that made you an outstanding peacetime CO usually made you a terrible wartime CO.

The last time the USN lost a ship was in 1945. The last vaguely serious naval engagement was Operation Preying Mantis, 35 years ago.

The 'leadership' of the USN is laser-like focused on leftist politics, not with naval combat. How long do you think it will be before you have race riots on carriers again?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:13 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

I can't it find now, but I once saw what was supposed to be a letter from Sir Arthur Wellesley (not yet the Duke of Marlborough) to London, during the campaign in Spain, on what his troops priority was (the choices being filling out all the paperwork desired by the clerks in London or fighting the French).
Last edited by Robert_A_Woodward on Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:19 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:

I forget exactly what percentage of US sub COs were relieved within 6 months of Pearl Harbor, but it was a huge percentage. Like 2/3rds. The things that made you an outstanding peacetime CO usually made you a terrible wartime CO.

IIRC, more than a few of those commanders were relieved because they persisted in complaining that the torpedoes didn't work as explanation on why they didn't sink anything.

BTW, the torpedoes didn't work (there were at least 3 problems) and it took at least 2 years to fix them (with the Navy bureaucracy resisting the whole way).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by robert132   » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:49 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:

The last time the USN lost a ship was in 1945. The last vaguely serious naval engagement was Operation Preying Mantis, 35 years ago.

The 'leadership' of the USN is laser-like focused on leftist politics, not with naval combat. How long do you think it will be before you have race riots on carriers again?

Preying Mantis wasn't even against a "peer" Navy, it was against the Iranians and undertaken in part as a response for attacking oil tankers with ships and aircraft as well as laying the mines that nearly sunk USS SAMUEL B ROBERTS as well as damaging a number of merchant ships.

Our Navy sunk ONE frigate, damaged another and took out two drilling platforms that were being used for maritime surveillance.

Our national military leadership as well as our Navy's leadership had best be preparing to face off against China, a true peer because sooner or later (probably sooner) the Chinese ARE going to start using that military machine they've been building.

I can guarantee you that the Chinese are training for war and have the numbers of conventional (non-nuclear) forces to pull it off.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by kzt   » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:19 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:
Our national military leadership as well as our Navy's leadership had best be preparing to face off against China, a true peer because sooner or later (probably sooner) the Chinese ARE going to start using that military machine they've been building.

I can guarantee you that the Chinese are training for war and have the numbers of conventional (non-nuclear) forces to pull it off.

The US leadership are not preparing to do anything involving combat. They Navy is a DIE bureaucracy that runs ships. Their plan for confronting the PLAN buildup is to get rid of the Nimitz and 30% of the VLS tubes today and cross my heart promise to replace them in a decade or two.

Return to Honorverse