Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 88 guests

Treecat vs Earth's apex predators

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Treecat vs Earth's apex predators
Post by Theemile   » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:56 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:I recently read a disturbing article about how Siberian tigers have developed an action plan where two will invade a hibernating Polar Bear's den, to kill and eat it. I assume that surprise and a low metabolism cripples the bear's response.
Possibly it comes down to the American game of scissors, rock and paper. In that the result depends on the circumstances.
A tree cat clan would be irresistible to all but earth's apex predator, prewarned and armed modern mankind.

That has to be some pretty desperate cats, pushed to the limits - surviving that is a 50/50, so survival (via the only remaining large food source) must be on the line.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by tlb   » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:36 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:I recently read a disturbing article about how Siberian tigers have developed an action plan where two will invade a hibernating Polar Bear's den, to kill and eat it. I assume that surprise and a low metabolism cripples the bear's response.

Theemile wrote:That has to be some pretty desperate cats, pushed to the limits - surviving that is a 50/50, so survival (via the only remaining large food source) must be on the line.

I find this article odd, because the reported range does not seem to overlap that of the Polar bear. This from the Oregon Zoo webpage:
What is the Siberian tigers range?
The Amur tiger (formerly known as the Siberian tiger) is found only in the mountain forests of eastern Russia, with a small population ranging across the border into China. This tiger subspecies is adapted to the region's high latitude, harsh climate, and long winters.

-- skip --

About 400 Amur tigers are left in the wild, and they are listed as endangered. They are threatened by habitat loss and poaching of both tigers and their prey, as well as tiger-human conflict and infectious diseases.
Polar bears are not normally in the mountains. Was it writing about some other type of bear?
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:31 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

tlb wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Yes, the 'cat would have lost, but it was a close match even with being constrained by having to protect Stephanie. I don't think Earth has anything remotely at the level of a Hexapuma.

In both cases the tree-cat fought to protect someone dear, despite knowing it had no chance to win, nor even hurt the other animal greatly. In both stories the tree-cat was knocked out of the fight by serious injuries and only saved from death because the Harrington girl had a weapon. In both stories the cats had to be treated by a doctor and Honor's Nimitz had broken ribs and Stephanie's Climbs Quickly probably lost a limb. That is not my idea of a close fight.

A grizzly bear is the equivalent Earth creature and in staged separate fights is reported to have killed both lions and tigers. The gold miners are said to have imported those animals to pit against the bear. A swipe of the bear's paw with its big claws can break the skull of either big cat.

I'm thinking of death by bleeding out, not by direct damage.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:14 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Just checked. In Frozen Planet 11 by Attendbrough.
Post by tlb   » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:51 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Yes, the 'cat would have lost, but it was a close match even with being constrained by having to protect Stephanie. I don't think Earth has anything remotely at the level of a Hexapuma.

tlb wrote:In both cases the tree-cat fought to protect someone dear, despite knowing it had no chance to win, nor even hurt the other animal greatly. In both stories the tree-cat was knocked out of the fight by serious injuries and only saved from death because the Harrington girl had a weapon. In both stories the cats had to be treated by a doctor and Honor's Nimitz had broken ribs and Stephanie's Climbs Quickly probably lost a limb. That is not my idea of a close fight.

A grizzly bear is the equivalent Earth creature and in staged separate fights is reported to have killed both lions and tigers. The gold miners are said to have imported those animals to pit against the bear. A swipe of the bear's paw with its big claws can break the skull of either big cat.

Loren Pechtel wrote:I'm thinking of death by bleeding out, not by direct damage.

I don't know why, the bigger animals were bleeding in both cases; but in both cases that 'cat would have died if the Harrington girl had not used her weapon. I expect the lion or tiger did some damage before they died. I do not know whether the bear died later, but that would not be much consolation to the cat.

This is what "The Best Laid Plans" has to say about the possibility of the 'cat striking a mortal blow.
The huge creature was almost three meters long. It must weight over five hundred kilos, and it howled its fury as the 'cats razor-sharp claws slashed at it. But peak bears' hides were thick, their skins loose, riding on deep layers of fat no treecat's claws were long enough to penetrate. The 'cat could hurt and enrage the monstrous omnivore, but he couldn't possibly defeat it, and he knew it.
A grizzly bear is somewhat smaller and lighter than a peak bear, but still has a comparable skin and fat layer. The would be trouble for a grizzly, if it fought a peak bear; but it should be equally able to handle a single treecat. So how are we scoring a fight where the treecat dies and the bear might (or might not) die later?
Post by tlb   » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:44 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Just checked. In Frozen Planet 11 by Attendbrough.

Although Frozen Planet II talks about Polar Bears and Siberian Tigers, I still have not seen evidence that the two appear in a story together. However I did find this quote in a Q&A by the Frozen Planet II producer:
We continue further north to our next frozen world which is a story about Siberian tigers, incredibly rare and hard to film, that go looking for hibernating black bears. We rigged caves and pathways and we can see the tigers entering the caves to look for prey. That hasn’t been filmed before.
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

There is no reason that treecats cannot sense the emotions of Terran creatures as well. It should give them an edge when fighting if they are able to sense when prey intends to strike. Its crease. Their empathic sense should be a bit like a spider sense, although storyline doesn't speak of it in that manner.

Without a doubt, Nimitz actually detected Burdette's crease. IMO.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:12 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:There is no reason that treecats cannot sense the emotions of Terran creatures as well. It should give them an edge when fighting if they are able to sense when prey intends to strike. Its crease. Their empathic sense should be a bit like a spider sense, although storyline doesn't speak of it in that manner.

You are still stuck with the fact that a treecat cannot defeat, by itself, either a Hexapuma or a Peak Bear; so there is no reason to assume that is enough of an advantage over a grizzly bear (for example).
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:20 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:There is no reason that treecats cannot sense the emotions of Terran creatures as well. It should give them an edge when fighting if they are able to sense when prey intends to strike. Its crease. Their empathic sense should be a bit like a spider sense, although storyline doesn't speak of it in that manner.

You are still stuck with the fact that a treecat cannot defeat, by itself, either a Hexapuma or a Peak Bear; so there is no reason to assume that is enough of an advantage over a grizzly bear (for example).

I don't know how any advantage would allow victory over a Puma. Those things are monstrous. I don't even know how an entire clan of Cats can defeat one of those things. It reminds me of a fight between a male lion and a pack of hyenas.

SCORE: Lion 10 Hyenas 0

But an empathic advantage against a grizzly bear might enable a Cat to blind the bear by clawing out his eyes.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:41 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:But an empathic advantage against a grizzly bear might enable a Cat to blind the bear by clawing out his eyes.

Might. Clawing the eyes would work on any predator, including the Hexapuma and Peak Bear.

Return to Honorverse