Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

How does Honor know so much?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How does Honor know so much?
Post by penny   » Mon May 06, 2024 10:00 am

penny
Commodore

I sure would love to see Honor's transcripts all through school from year one to graduating at the Academy.

Honor is obviously very intelligent, and I always imagined her being somewhat of an overachiever all through school. But there is an uncertainty, since I seem to recall the fact that her parents hid the fact that she is a genie. So, I wonder if they insisted that she downplay her high IQ. Since she didn't have a whole lot of friends, her time for her studies would have been total.

Anyway, I sure would love to peer at Honor's transcripts. And I wonder if she had any, ah, negative things on her record, like busting some heads for teasing her. Simply an enquiring mind that wants to know.

Honor had not graduated high school when she was adopted by Nimitz. What did Nimitz do during the day when Honor was at school.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by markusschaber   » Mon May 06, 2024 2:13 pm

markusschaber
Lieutenant Commander

penny wrote:I sure would love to see Honor's transcripts all through school from year one to graduating at the Academy.

Honor is obviously very intelligent, and I always imagined her being somewhat of an overachiever all through school. But there is an uncertainty, since I seem to recall the fact that her parents hid the fact that she is a genie. So, I wonder if they insisted that she downplay her high IQ. Since she didn't have a whole lot of friends, her time for her studies would have been total.

Anyway, I sure would love to peer at Honor's transcripts. And I wonder if she had any, ah, negative things on her record, like busting some heads for teasing her. Simply an enquiring mind that wants to know.

Honor had not graduated high school when she was adopted by Nimitz. What did Nimitz do during the day when Honor was at school.

Don't underestimate a good memory. Lots of things have been taught in school, and long forgotten since by us mere mortals. Books we've read, movies we've seen, tales we've heard, all lost in time. However, her memory might be enhanced to the point that she she remembers everything she just heard or read once.
Post by Theemile   » Mon May 06, 2024 3:47 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

markusschaber wrote:
penny wrote:I sure would love to see Honor's transcripts all through school from year one to graduating at the Academy.

Don't underestimate a good memory. Lots of things have been taught in school, and long forgotten since by us mere mortals. Books we've read, movies we've seen, tales we've heard, all lost in time. However, her memory might be enhanced to the point that she she remembers everything she just heard or read once.

Agreed - I once had a conversation on a point of US Government "rules" from the Constitution with a good friend from High School who claimed not to know it.

Me: They teach it in High School Civics classes.
Him: They didn't teach stuff like that at my High School
Me: You do remember that we graduated High School together, right?
Him: Yeah, Well, they didn't teach that in Mr. Schonamaker's class.
Me: I had Schonamaker too - he taught it.
Him: Well, not in my class.
Me: We had the same class; I sat behind you, remember?

It's amazing how 2 people can experience the same thing and have completely different memories of it just a few years later.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Daryl   » Tue May 07, 2024 3:35 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Some truth in this. Early in my education I realised that sitting about third in class was safer.
I did get caught in my 12 year of school, when an outside government agency introduced IQ tests. I thought, it would be fun, so tried. Whoops right over on the far right of the Belbin Curve. Caused quite a small scandal as the school and government official ended up in conflict about the discrepancy between the score and my middling results.
Many years later at a live in seminar for a Master's Course I was challenged at a drunken party, got a score of 135 even though walking was difficult at the time.
To me the other tests were more important, along the EQ line. The IQ is the power, EQ and others is effectively getting it to the road.

Post by tlb   » Tue May 07, 2024 9:51 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:To me the other tests were more important, along the EQ line. The IQ is the power, EQ and others is effectively getting it to the road.

It seems to me that the Quotient tests that narrow part of intelligence which relates to how good a person is at taking tests. I find it absurd when online trivia quizzes promise that a perfect score means an IQ in the genius range; the makers might be correct that the ability to easily retrieve data correlates to a form of intelligence, but the selection of data is arbitrarily chosen to make people feel good about themselves.

For a counter example of a stupid person with a high IQ, look to the November 2011 case of a divorced UNC theoretical particle physicist, who thought he matched with a bikini model through a dating service and was convinced to retrieve a suitcase "she" had left behind in South America. He ignored friends telling him it was a setup.
Post by penny   » Tue May 07, 2024 10:48 am

penny
Commodore

Deja vu. A friend of mine and I had the same conversation. Where one sits in class affects ones performance. A classroom is as important as spacetime. And where one sits affects his own point of view and observation of local space.

I struggle with grammar, yet I loved all of my English classes and sat right in front of the most beautiful teachers. Two who sat right on the desk in front of me wearing the mini skirts of the day. I had two teacher / student affairs.

I also sat right beside a beautiful brunette in physics class. She was a genius it seemed to me. It made me pay attention in class because we became very competitive. And we are now very good friends.

Same thing happened at Uni in Cosmology. Sitting beside a very beautiful woman made me learn quite a bit. I always sat up front. And I loved addressing the class during book reports, etc. The POV of a teacher is... enlightening to say the least.

Daryl wrote:Some truth in this. Early in my education I realised that sitting about third in class was safer.
I did get caught in my 12 year of school, when an outside government agency introduced IQ tests. I thought, it would be fun, so tried. Whoops right over on the far right of the Belbin Curve. Caused quite a small scandal as the school and government official ended up in conflict about the discrepancy between the score and my middling results.
Many years later at a live in seminar for a Master's Course I was challenged at a drunken party, got a score of 135 even though walking was difficult at the time.
To me the other tests were more important, along the EQ line. The IQ is the power, EQ and others is effectively getting it to the road.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.

Return to Honorverse