Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests

1924 PD - Rebuilding the Solarian League Navy

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: 1924 PD - Rebuilding the Solarian League Navy
Post by Joat42   » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:31 am

Joat42
Admiral

Isn't Ziska kind of useless when you have missiles that can maneuver and make an oblique approach? Especially if you have recon-drones roaming about giving up to date targeting info?

In regards of dirty nukes, aren't those made of fissile material while "modern" nukes are grav-pumped fusion bombs? Or did I miss something?

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:03 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:Isn't Ziska kind of useless when you have missiles that can maneuver and make an oblique approach? Especially if you have recon-drones roaming about giving up to date targeting info?

Yes. Which is why it largely failed even on it's first use. And that was against pre-Apollo MDMs.

I'm sure their pre-programmed divert maneuver cost some accuracy -- but any blinding or burning out of sensors that Haven hoped to achieve simply failed.
Post by phillies   » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:56 pm

phillies
Admiral

Rebuilding...why waste the money? The League is so large that Manticore and friends cannot reasonably hope to conquer it. Current battlecruisers and light cruisers should be more than adequate for piracy suppression. A competent intelligence operation reaching as far out as there are inhabited worlds will let you know what is happening, and let you sic Manticore on anything interesting. The cost of rebuilding Sol, at least so that residents do not starve, is so huge as to empty the budget, assuming that the rest of the League does not abandon Sol as too expensive to fix.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:35 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Rebuilding...why waste the money? The League is so large that Manticore and friends cannot reasonably hope to conquer it. Current battlecruisers and light cruisers should be more than adequate for piracy suppression. A competent intelligence operation reaching as far out as there are inhabited worlds will let you know what is happening, and let you sic Manticore on anything interesting. The cost of rebuilding Sol, at least so that residents do not starve, is so huge as to empty the budget, assuming that the rest of the League does not abandon Sol as too expensive to fix.

All sound, logical reasons, but they won't cut it. The SL and SLN cannot abide by "siccing Manticore on anything interesting."
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Rebuilding...why waste the money? The League is so large that Manticore and friends cannot reasonably hope to conquer it. Current battlecruisers and light cruisers should be more than adequate for piracy suppression. A competent intelligence operation reaching as far out as there are inhabited worlds will let you know what is happening, and let you sic Manticore on anything interesting. The cost of rebuilding Sol, at least so that residents do not starve, is so huge as to empty the budget, assuming that the rest of the League does not abandon Sol as too expensive to fix.

I commend you for your faith in mankind. He who can quit cold-turkey from generations of indoctrinated arrogance of "Made in the SL" is worth noting. The SL has a reputation to uphold, even if it isn't just personal. At any rate, it is human nature.

If you sleep through a Category 5 hurricane and wake up with your house teetering on the edge, you pull back. Waaay back. It is only human nature that the huge SL will be on top again.

One thing I'd like to know is whether the GA has the right to, and whether they would, use the situation to keep an eye on the technology being tested in the SL. Much like we keep an eye on the "Rocket Man" in Korea.

And if one of the GA's ships happen to witness incredible technology, will the powers that be believe it? Or will it be dismissed as impossible. Should the GA try and capture said technology?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I just cannot stop wondering what the dynamics of the HV would be like if the SL threw the GA a curve and allied itself with someone else. After all, one good curve deserves another. Does it not, Grayson and Haven?

But who would they pitch in with? The Andermani perhaps? Could the union between those two somehow turn out to be advantageous for both of them after the Andermani was once worried about SL aggression?

At any rate, after the dust settles, should the SLN gobble up Technodyne as both a punishment and for the resource?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:53 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I just cannot stop wondering what the dynamics of the HV would be like if the SL threw the GA a curve and allied itself with someone else. After all, one good curve deserves another. Does it not, Grayson and Haven?

But who would they pitch in with? The Andermani perhaps? Could the union between those two somehow turn out to be advantageous for both of them after the Andermani was once worried about SL aggression?

The Andermani were part of the Grand Alliance as an outcome of the partitioning of the Silesian Confederacy, but agreed to be neutral in the fight against the Solarian League. I expect the agreement to ally with Manticore, Haven and Grayson (and others?) is still in place, since they are getting the latest GA weapon systems.

Why shouldn't the new Solarian League work to a point where they can get a Pact with the Grand Alliance?
Post by Joat42   » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:25 pm

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:I just cannot stop wondering what the dynamics of the HV would be like if the SL threw the GA a curve and allied itself with someone else. After all, one good curve deserves another. Does it not, Grayson and Haven?

At any rate, after the dust settles, should the SLN gobble up Technodyne as both a punishment and for the resource?

Why would anyone willingly ally themselves with the SL? And what type of alliance are you talking about? Economic? Trade? Military?

If they are powerful enough for the SL to consider them as possible ally, what would they gain and what would they loose?

If they aren't powerful enough and considering the track record of how SL have treated the Verge systems, no one in their right mind would want to ally with the SL because so far if you couldn't stand up to the SL you where just a money piñata for the SL to smash. Until the SL have proven that they have changed their stripes, a system would have to be particularly desperate to accept an alliance.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by phillies   » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:57 pm

phillies
Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

All sound, logical reasons, but they won't cut it. The SL and SLN cannot abide by "siccing Manticore on anything interesting."

The SLN and its bureaucrats are now firmly under the thumb of the elected government, which is unlikely to put up with nonsense about 'we cannot abide'. The answer is 'you will abide, or we will cut your budget another 50%, and shut down your R&D effort.
Post by Relax   » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:31 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:The SLN and its bureaucrats are now firmly under the thumb of the elected government, which is unlikely to put up with nonsense about 'we cannot abide'. The answer is 'you will abide, or we will cut your budget another 50%, and shut down your R&D effort.

Yea....... and then there is the equivalent of the 1940 Naval appropriations Act "Two Ocean Navy"
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse