Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

Titles we wish we could read

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Titles we wish we could read
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:The Crusher, folowing one of the many, many officers I like from the setting through the story's namesake. Or even better Worlds of Honor # The Crusher with each story following a different character through the anthology's namesake. Every time a New Worlds of Honor comes out the I keep hoping that the Honor story will be about her time in the Crusher but no luck so far.

My time as <Insert all the ranks and titles she has by the point the story is written here> Harrington's student. A story following Abigail Hearns through the courses taught by Honor and some of Honor's dinner and simulation parties.

Darn tootin! I'm all for this. Start up the press!

But. I'd like to have fodder of a few of the assholes going thru the Crusher as well. Like Pavel Young. Surely Young used the Honorverse equivalent of Schaum's Outlines. Or perhaps his father purchased copies of the exam! Young was so crooked, I'm sure he was graded on a curve.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by niethil   » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:58 pm

niethil
Commander

These are not as much titles I wish I could read as titles I am afraid people in the Honorverse will have to live with.

1- An all time-space classic : the acronymic master piece of personal development (until next year, when the author's next book goes on sales and becomes the real master piece that is)
Random Personal Development Guru wrote:Creative, Enthusiastic, Lucky, Enterprising and Relaxed You
Change yourself and learn how to bring out your inner Treecat.

2- The self-serving, history-rewriting autobiography for the ego
Sir Simon Chakrabarti wrote:Under Friendly Fire
An insider account of the Admiralty during First Lord of Admiralty Janacek's era

3- Talking from experience
Dr. Allison Benton-Ramirez y Chou Harrington wrote:The Harrington Method
How to raise a bonded child.

4- The erudite, if a little boring, history treaty
Lady Sarah Harrington wrote:The Bonded Harringtons's Papers
The Harrington familly's personal records of treecat lives and bonds published for the first time.
Last edited by niethil on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by saber964   » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:03 pm

saber964
Admiral

niethil wrote:These are not as much titles I wish I could read as titles I am afraid people in the Honorverse will have to live with.

1- An all time-space classic : the acronymic master piece of personal development (until next year, when the author's next book goes on sales and becomes the real master piece that is)
Random Personal Development Guru wrote:Creative, Enthusiastic, Lucky, Enterprising and Relaxed You
Change yourself and learn how to bring out your inner Treecat.

2- The self-serving, history-rewriting autobiography for the ego
Sir Simon Chakrabarti wrote:Under Friendly Fire
An insider account of the Admiralty during First Space Lord Janacek's era

3- Talking from experience
Dr. Allison Benton-Ramirez y Chou Harrington wrote:The Harrington Method
How to raise a bonded child.

4- The erudite, if a little boring, history treaty
Lady Sarah Harrington wrote:The Bonded Harringtons's Papers
The Harrington familly's personal records of treecat lives and bonds published for the first time.

Nit pick. Chakrabarti was the First Space Lord. Janacek was the First Lord of the Admiralty.
Post by stewart   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:18 am

stewart
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:"SWM"]"saber964""SWM"]
You do realize that you are responding to a post made four years ago, right? The person you are responding to is no longer even on the forum.

Your wrong their I'am still around and kicking.[/quote]
Oh! Didn't realize you had changed your name. I saw that the last post by John964 was in 2012. Sorry about the confusion! :)[/quote]

My computer went boink and I couldn't get my passwords to work so I changed all of them.[/quote]

---------

Isn't technology wonderful.

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:19 am

stewart
Captain of the List

phillies wrote:Mindful that the illustrious author has his own plans.

I believe someone gave us "Lieutenant Hearns Takes Command".

There is always "Glorious Triumphs of the Omnipotent Solarian League Navy". It has the positive feature of breaking the mold...it can be very short.

--------------
or deal with early space history

-- Stewart
Post by niethil   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:58 am

niethil
Commander

saber964 wrote:Nit pick. Chakrabarti was the First Space Lord. Janacek was the First Lord of the Admiralty.

You are right (I edited it).

I found this morning that I had forgotten two more evident items in the list :
First, with the personal development scam of course go the conspiracy theorist scam :
Random conspiracy Theorist wrote:Weighing on Our Minds
How the Treecats plan to take control of the human race.

And then the science fiction novel :
Sings Nonsense wrote:Hymn of War
Quick Learner was looking forward to this space trip. But thanks to pirates attacking the liner, and taking his Person prisoner, his life is now a mess. Alone on a foreign ship, trapped by technology he doesn't understand, he needs to find a solution and rescue his Person fast, or his precious vacation will be ruined. Being patient is not something Quick Learner has ever been accused of, and those pirates have seriously pissed him off. It's time for a little payback.

Now if he could just find the celery stash ...
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

"Eloise Boulevard: An Avenue To A Resurrected Republic"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by stewart   » Sun May 03, 2015 11:37 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:The Coronation of Empress of the Known Universe Honor the third.
How Vampires saved Manticore (on second thoughts perhaps not).
Solarian SD driving instructions, one forward gear and 15 reverse.

--------------

Shades of Nassar's tanks during the 6-Day War

--- Stewart
Post by Meshakhad   » Mon May 04, 2015 1:56 pm

Meshakhad
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Here's one story I'd like to read: a depiction of capital ship combat in the pre-laser head days. What was it like when two walls of battle entered mutual energy range?
Post by SWM   » Mon May 04, 2015 2:06 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Meshakhad wrote:Here's one story I'd like to read: a depiction of capital ship combat in the pre-laser head days. What was it like when two walls of battle entered mutual energy range?

It's not clear whether there ever were any battles worth the name between full walls of battle back then. Given how few star nations have a wall of battle, there can't have been many. But you're right, it would be interesting.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse