Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], penny and 167 guests

Honor awakened a sleeping GIANT

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor awakened a sleeping GIANT
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:01 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I'm not at all sure that Technodyne-- which I guess is somewhere in the Verge thought I haven't found it listed on any of the maps-- is anywhere close to the RF. While it would be useful to the Alignment plans for the RF to eventually avail itself of the legitimate construction capacity of that private/no habitable planet system that Technodyne uses for it's main shipyards, how that would come about is not clear.

On the other hand, if the RF should move to bring the Transtellar -which is what Technodyne is- into it's political alliance orbit, that could have a distinct downside. Zilwicki is part of the group who is tracking leads to the Alignment and used- another things- the delivery of weapons to the X PRH SS ships that were used in the attempted genocide at Torch.
Cataphracts.......they show up in the oddest places and, with Torch, before they seem to appear in the SLN arsenal of weapons. So they do come into the SLN but when and what is the development sequencing of the system itself and it's several variants. Newer versions (at Torch) appear to show up before "older" versions with the SLN and eventually that is going to end up leading to questions. Harrington took the entire archives at the Ganymede Naval Station in the process of forcing the surrender of the SLN. While the Alignment is very good at diversion, were they good enough to firmly cover the ultimate source of the Cataphract designs as not having actual been done at Technodyne or the SLN R&D with the transtellar being licensed to produce them in volume for the SLN? The Ghost Hunters can did at SLN R&D.

More data for Zilwicki, Ruth and company.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:30 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:I'm not at all sure that Technodyne-- which I guess is somewhere in the Verge thought I haven't found it listed on any of the maps-- is anywhere close to the RF.

Technodyne is a company, not a system. It's headquartered in Yildun, which is in League space, but not a member of the League. I don't think it's appeared in any map.

I don't think the system has been described in books, but RFC did describe it in some past threads about attacking it. IIRC, it's got a wormhole.

While it would be useful to the Alignment plans for the RF to eventually avail itself of the legitimate construction capacity of that private/no habitable planet system that Technodyne uses for it's main shipyards, how that would come about is not clear.

I don't think they need Yildun. They'd had Galton until just now. Systems without inhabitable planets and with debris lying around exist by the millions. Statistically speaking, the other two termini of the Felix Junction should lead to such systems, though it seems that HV wormholes are not randomly distributed.

If the MAlign needs a replacement for Galton, it can choose any of the 100 stars within 5.5 pc (18 light-years) of Darius. Their problem however is time.

On the other hand, if the RF should move to bring the Transtellar -which is what Technodyne is- into it's political alliance orbit, that could have a distinct downside. Zilwicki is part of the group who is tracking leads to the Alignment and used- another things- the delivery of weapons to the X PRH SS ships that were used in the attempted genocide at Torch.
Cataphracts.......they show up in the oddest places and, with Torch, before they seem to appear in the SLN arsenal of weapons. So they do come into the SLN but when and what is the development sequencing of the system itself and it's several variants. Newer versions (at Torch) appear to show up before "older" versions with the SLN and eventually that is going to end up leading to questions. Harrington took the entire archives at the Ganymede Naval Station in the process of forcing the surrender of the SLN. While the Alignment is very good at diversion, were they good enough to firmly cover the ultimate source of the Cataphract designs as not having actual been done at Technodyne or the SLN R&D with the transtellar being licensed to produce them in volume for the SLN? The Ghost Hunters can did at SLN R&D.

Very good point. There isn't any data leading from the RF to TIY, but there's also no need to give something for Zilwicki and Ruth Winton to investigate.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:20 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Technodyne could be expanded to manufacture warships for the RF. It would not be a smart thing for the RF to have warships which could be determined to be of Galton design.

Technodyne is in the business of making money. Their allegiance would be to the Navy which makes them the most profit. They don't owe the League anything. And the League don't own them. Technodyne may have a few old bones in the closet to pick against the SL anyway.

Technodyne reminds me of "Maytag" and Erewhon and its relationship with Manticore. If you snooze you lose.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Technodyne could be expanded to manufacture warships for the RF. It would not be a smart thing for the RF to have warships which could be determined to be of Galton design.

Technodyne is in the business of making money. Their allegiance would be to the Navy which makes them the most profit. They don't owe the League anything. And the League don't own them. Technodyne may have a few old bones in the closet to pick against the SL anyway.

Technodyne reminds me of "Maytag" and Erewhon and its relationship with Manticore. If you snooze you lose.

I am simply hard pressed to believe that the Alignment - in its ability to look many chess moves ahead -- overlooked the fact that the RF will need production capabilities. Would they want to start from the bottom?

If there can be sleeper families, then surely entire systems can be sleepers as well. Systems with ready made production facilities. Technodyne seems to be a perfect possibility for that. Also, consider that Technodyne may have had access to all of the League's breakthroughs, both civilian and classified.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:52 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I am simply hard pressed to believe that the Alignment - in its ability to look many chess moves ahead -- overlooked the fact that the RF will need production capabilities. Would they want to start from the bottom?

If there can be sleeper families, then surely entire systems can be sleepers as well. Systems with ready made production facilities. Technodyne seems to be a perfect possibility for that. Also, consider that Technodyne may have had access to all of the League's breakthroughs, both civilian and classified.

Why do you think that the RF does not have home grown production facilities, the same as Galton? If they do, then Yildun would be a bonus, but not a necessity. After all, the Malign most likely has access to everything that Technodyne knows.
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:I am simply hard pressed to believe that the Alignment - in its ability to look many chess moves ahead -- overlooked the fact that the RF will need production capabilities. Would they want to start from the bottom?

Why do you think that the RF does not have home grown production facilities, the same as Galton? If they do, then Yildun would be a bonus, but not a necessity. After all, the Malign most likely has access to everything that Technodyne knows.

Good point! TBH, I simply never considered the RF could have a hidden system cranking out technology for it. And possibly even warships as well? At any rate, I just assumed the RF -- which is supposed to be made up of splintered SL states -- has nothing by the way of production facilities. Unless there is another hidden system, somewhere. I don't think it would be smart for Galton or Darius to produce warships for the RF.

Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:I'm not at all sure that Technodyne-- which I guess is somewhere in the Verge thought I haven't found it listed on any of the maps-- is anywhere close to the RF. While it would be useful to the Alignment plans for the RF to eventually avail itself of the legitimate construction capacity of that private/no habitable planet system that Technodyne uses for it's main shipyards, how that would come about is not clear.

I have been mulling over your post for some time. Honestly, you may have exposed how totally clueless I might be about Technodyne. I never considered that the entire company could be controlled, or even owned, by the MA.

I thought that Technodyne was simply duped by the MA, the same as the SL, Mesa and Galton. The MA are puppet masters. There is nothing wrong with turning a profit, and Technodyne certainly had that right.

But what can Technodyne be taken to task for by the SL or even the GA? The company may not have knowingly done anything wrong. And anyone associated with the company who might be guilty of anything are either long gone or will simply drop dead.

Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:20 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Good point! TBH, I simply never considered the RF could have a hidden system cranking out technology for it. And possibly even warships as well? At any rate, I just assumed the RF -- which is supposed to be made up of splintered SL states -- has nothing by the way of production facilities. Unless there is another hidden system, somewhere. I don't think it would be smart for Galton or Darius to produce warships for the RF.

Currently, the only large Military in the RF is Mannerheim, per David, the rest are limited SDF level (LACs), up to Mesa level (a few BC squadrons.). Visigoth, with their own wormhole, didn't even have the power to force off a reinforced RMN BC squadron which took control of their wormhole.

So I doubt the RF has a current version of bolthole. That doesn't mean that one isn't planned or in the works though. Mannerheim should have their own internal capability to care for their DNs, if not the ability to produce their own ships.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:25 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:I'm not at all sure that Technodyne-- which I guess is somewhere in the Verge thought I haven't found it listed on any of the maps-- is anywhere close to the RF. While it would be useful to the Alignment plans for the RF to eventually avail itself of the legitimate construction capacity of that private/no habitable planet system that Technodyne uses for it's main shipyards, how that would come about is not clear.

I have been mulling over your post for some time. Honestly, you may have exposed how totally clueless I might be about Technodyne. I never considered that the entire company could be controlled, or even owned, by the MA.

I thought that Technodyne was simply duped by the MA, the same as the SL, Mesa and Galton. The MA are puppet masters. There is nothing wrong with turning a profit, and Technodyne certainly had that right.

But what can Technodyne be taken to task for by the SL or even the GA? The company may not have knowingly done anything wrong. And anyone associated with the company who might be guilty of anything are either long gone or will simply drop dead.

Some Technodyne execs were in the pocket of (if not in bed with) Mesa, as we saw, they were actively part of the plot to wrestle the Talbott Quadrant away from Manticore, and they were part of the supply chain for the Cataphracts, and supplies 28 BCs for the PNiE and the attack on the Lynx wormhole.

Could it be that they had a division on Mesa and they got too involved with Mesa, maybe.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by tlb   » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:53 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Good point! TBH, I simply never considered the RF could have a hidden system cranking out technology for it. And possibly even warships as well? At any rate, I just assumed the RF -- which is supposed to be made up of splintered SL states -- has nothing by the way of production facilities. Unless there is another hidden system, somewhere. I don't think it would be smart for Galton or Darius to produce warships for the RF.

Theemile wrote:Currently, the only large Military in the RF is Mannerheim, per David, the rest are limited SDF level (LACs), up to Mesa level (a few BC squadrons.). Visigoth, with their own wormhole, didn't even have the power to force off a reinforced RMN BC squadron which took control of their wormhole.

So I doubt the RF has a current version of bolthole. That doesn't mean that one isn't planned or in the works though. Mannerheim should have their own internal capability to care for their DNs, if not the ability to produce their own ships.

I was not trying to suggest an equivalent to Bolthole; instead I was suggesting that any and all of the planets of the RF might have the production capabilities of a Core World, so there is no burning need to add Technodyne in order to implement any needed manufacturing.

We do not know much about them, aside from Mannerheim's navy; so we simply do not know how economically advanced they are. But if they were not economically advanced, then how could the Malign expect them to be the core of a successor state to the Solarian League? Don't the members of the RF have to be equal in economic power to the worlds they expect to get from the breakup of the SL?

Return to Honorverse