Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 152 guests

Fall 1924 – RMN/GSN Tactical changes

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Fall 1924 – RMN/GSN Tactical changes
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed May 25, 2022 3:27 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:So, it seems that under the pressure of pod based combat and MDMs that Manticore, and presumably Haven as well, have been beefing up the quality of their individual PDLCs, not just how many they stick on a hull.

That's a typical arms race: reacting to the changing threat environment. If you get these huge numbers of missiles crashing down on you, you need something to take them out. The Alliance and the RHN had to have done something to survive each other's salvos, otherwise battles would just end in Double K.O. So they did: push out the engagement range with LACs, longer-ranged CMs, more CM salvos, better intercept ratio, and better and more plentiful PDLCs. The flip side of that was the Battle of Spindle: Terekhov's 12000-missile salvo had more warheads missiles (that's discounting the Mk23E control and all the decoys & pen-aids) than Crandall's counter-missile batteries could hope to intercept. The whole SLN formation could launch exactly one salvo of ~2100 counter-missiles.

It might be that we'll see this swing to the other side for a while: the quality of the defences goes up so much that missiles hardly penetrate any more, for a launch by a similarly-sized formation. We're not there yet -- or at least, we haven't seen that type of battle.
Post by Relax   » Thu May 26, 2022 6:29 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

My reply to Thinksmarkedly.

First of all one must remember Theemiles first post:

“The “What Should be Built Next” question leans into 3 additional questions: how should we change the existing production to suit evolving tactics and resolve capability shortfalls observed, what roles are added/gained by each class and how should new designs reflect those changes, and how should tactics evolve in the post Galton era. The “What Should be Built Next” question leans into 3 additional questions: how should we change the existing production to suit evolving tactics and resolve capability shortfalls observed, what roles are added/gained by each class and how should new designs reflect those changes, and how should tactics evolve in the post Galton era.

Next will address your post in reverse I think is best way
2nd, one must remember that tonnage as a cost consideration is useless as an indicator. Today, the hull cost of a ship is pennies on the dollar compared to systems cost, personnel cost, maintenance cost. This will only become MORE true in the future. As RFC has stated: Pearls of Weber: Warship construction costs (thefifthimperium.com)

“And, frankly, armor in the Honorverse is about as dirt cheap as any building component comes. Now, the primary weapons cost for a podnought is to be found in its missiles, not its shipboard weapon mounts, but we're talking construction here.”

So, if true for a podnaught, then should be true of a BC as well. The systems = $$$, not the ship itself.

RFC has stated build times for different classes of ships from SD to BC to CA to DD. Pearls of Weber: Shipbuilding times (thefifthimperium.com) And I am having difficulty finding where DW stated build times for BC/CA. Maybe Lunan never archived that post?

“you can build 10,000 tons of a superdreadnought faster than you can build 10,000 tons of a destroyer, but the destroyer is so much smaller, that even though you can build it only at a slower rate, the total construction time is less than 15% of the construction time of the superdreadnought, “
“8,000,000-ton SD in 18 months in a "hard yard" and 20 months in a "dispersed yard," 

So, Destroyer takes ~2.5months build time.
If I remember correctly BC(L) required 14months , BC'P: 12, CA: 8

So, build time BC(L) 14/18 or ~80% the hull cost of an SD'P minus the missiles

Then we have a couple other gems: Pearls of Weber: A comparative look at the BC(P) vs BC(L) (thefifthimperium.com)

"Where Nike most closely resembles the Alaska design concept is that her designers deliberately stayed away from three-stage MDM capabilities. One of the big weaknesses of the original battlecruiser design (I'm speaking here about the Invincible) was that when you put battleship-sized guns onto a ship the size of the battleship, sooner or later it was going to be used as a battleship, whether that was its designed function or not.
AND later

Essentially, the BC(L) is envisioned by the Royal Manticoran Navy as the minimum platform capable of performing the traditional battlecruiser roles of long-range, extended patrol; long-range interdiction; construction of commerce raiders (not necessarily the same thing as convoy protection); flag showing and rear area security missions; screening heavier ships and critical convoys; and force projection against anything "below the wall," in an era of multidrive missiles. By pre-First Havenite War standards, they are huge, expensive units; compared to a current Manticoran SD(P), they are an austere, extremely economical means for projecting the required capabilities,"

Key phrase: Projecting required capabilities--> in a very large navy . Effectively this is a Battleship class, not BC. So if one wishes to argue the BC class already disappeared, I am open to the debate.

Of course DW had this to say about BCL vs BB: Pearls of Weber: The return of battleships as a viable class (thefifthimperium.com)

Impeller nodes: Every ship has exact same layout/number of impeller nodes with the exception being LAC's. LAC's, lack Alpha nodes used to generate a Warshawki sail used in Grav waves/wormholes. No armor exists over impeller nodes, but there is on the sides(SD's have more). Best explanation of this is in OBS as it describes the Q Ship and is a VERY important detail making the story.

Lower class ships have Always been missile centric and their defensive suits reflect this in having far more CM tubes per ton. See my/John's post. As for number of PDLC + emitters per PDLC this is opaque. BC/L vrs SDP assuming the BC/L has same SD grade PDLC, then the PDLC/ton is essentially equal. But if one goes down to CA and latest SAG-C which was shown in Mission of Honor and later in Uncompromising Honor I believe, they essentially have SD class PDLC now as well
SDP:BCL:SAGC 8900:2500kton:480
Broadside 62:30:24
Chase ~23:12:8
Katana 20t with 3 PDLC SD grade

See Johns posts regarding emitters, it is excellent as I have never owned the Honorverse game and its manuals.

See my SD'P modernization post list effectively saying SD'P needs more PDLC and less acceleration if one has a limit on fusion hydrogen being used

Sidewall toughness
If we head on over to... ack... I can't find the post on the notional 300,000t cruiser. Here is a hint that started that different thread: Pearls of Weber: Return of the frigate as a combat-effective unit (thefifthimperium.com) Someone with better kung fu search HELP!

Anyways in this thread, sidewall strength came up and RFC essentially said, DD's could have as tough of sidewalls as an SD, but due to cost etc etc it is not worth it. An example was given of a LAC's bow wall which was as touch as a DN sidewall, but was actually limited in strength due to fact LAC's do not have alpha nodes creating weaker wedges unlike ships with alpha nodes.

Anyways, between a couple of the links above, what BuWeaps has actually said is that THEY, like I, see that there are too many classes of ships in the modern MDM/DDM age. BuWeaps sees the Destroyer disappearing AND the SAG-C disappearing keeping the modern CL, BC(L), CLAC, SD'P. Naturally I argued for keeping a modernized CA instead of the BC(L) as I see the BC's role completely negated by MDM's as the only use of the BCL is beating up on neobarbs who do not have MDM pods... and those folks are going to be just as impressed by a CA.

As for Keyhole you brought up: 1st iteration was 20,000t. Yet, why bother? We have Athena FTL capable ~RD which can send full video + data when a CM only needs 2 dimensional coordinates. The difference in data rate here is literally A million to 1 on the VERY low end. It is beyond absurd one could not use same platform to broadcast information to CM's.

RD's as used as crude Keyhole: Already happened in UH at Ajay.

Cheers.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu May 26, 2022 10:33 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:Then we have a couple other gems: Pearls of Weber: A comparative look at the BC(P) vs BC(L) (thefifthimperium.com)

"Where Nike most closely resembles the Alaska design concept is that her designers deliberately stayed away from three-stage MDM capabilities. One of the big weaknesses of the original battlecruiser design (I'm speaking here about the Invincible) was that when you put battleship-sized guns onto a ship the size of the battleship, sooner or later it was going to be used as a battleship, whether that was its designed function or not.
AND later

Essentially, the BC(L) is envisioned by the Royal Manticoran Navy as the minimum platform capable of performing the traditional battlecruiser roles of long-range, extended patrol; long-range interdiction; construction of commerce raiders (not necessarily the same thing as convoy protection); flag showing and rear area security missions; screening heavier ships and critical convoys; and force projection against anything "below the wall," in an era of multidrive missiles. By pre-First Havenite War standards, they are huge, expensive units; compared to a current Manticoran SD(P), they are an austere, extremely economical means for projecting the required capabilities,"

Key phrase: Projecting required capabilities--> in a very large navy . Effectively this is a Battleship class, not BC. So if one wishes to argue the BC class already disappeared, I am open to the debate.

Of course DW had this to say about BCL vs BB: Pearls of Weber: The return of battleships as a viable class (thefifthimperium.com)

Impeller nodes: Every ship has exact same layout/number of impeller nodes with the exception being LAC's. LAC's, lack Alpha nodes used to generate a Warshawki sail used in Grav waves/wormholes. No armor exists over impeller nodes, but there is on the sides(SD's have more). Best explanation of this is in OBS as it describes the Q Ship and is a VERY important detail making the story.

Two nitpicks on impeller layout -- neither of which affect your key point.

One - while every hyper-capable warship has 2 alpha rings and 2 beta rings (arranged in alpha + beta pairs; fore and aft); modern RMN ships use beta-squared nodes so their beta rings have half as impellers as 'normal' (8 vs 16). (Alpha rings were always 8 nodes).

Two - not all starships use that full layout. Some civilian designs, especially those the operate in the safer environs of the League eschew the beta nodes as a cost saving measure.

(And I'm assuming you meant hyper capable ship, aka starship, when you said ship; since as we all know purely intrasystem ships and craft don't mount alpha nodes and some, especially small craft like shuttles and pinnaces, mount only a single beta ring)

As for calling the BC(L) a battleship -- I'd personally say not. It doesn't fit the doctrinal role of one. Battleships were the main capital ship in a missile oriented era of combat - mounting the most, and heaviest, missiles of any combatant. Then when compensator improvements allowed, and anti-missile defenses improved, you got the dreadnoughts, which fired the same missiles but in addition to being larger and carrying more armor also carried disproportionately heavier energy batteries -- reflecting a shift towards energy mounts as the decisive weapon.
Now after DNs, and later SDs, came on the scene new battleships were very much 2nd line units -- but they still carried capital ship missiles and still seem to have been more missile oriented than DNs. (Probably for similar reasons to the IAN's specialized smaller DNs; to use superior accel to avoid energy range of heavier units while carrying nearly as many missiles despite their lower tonnage)

In that 2nd line capital ship role you could make a better argument for the GSN's Courvosier II-class BC(P)s as the new battleships -- because the GSN normally loads them up with Mk23s. Whereas the BC(L) is restricted to, and the RMN's BC(P)s by policy only carry, cruiser weight missiles.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu May 26, 2022 10:50 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Sorry for breaking up my response into multiple posts
Relax wrote:As for Keyhole you brought up: 1st iteration was 20,000t. Yet, why bother? We have Athena FTL capable ~RD which can send full video + data when a CM only needs 2 dimensional coordinates. The difference in data rate here is literally A million to 1 on the VERY low end. It is beyond absurd one could not use same platform to broadcast information to CM's.

RD's as used as crude Keyhole: Already happened in UH at Ajay.

Cheers.

Where is this "Athena FTL capable ~RD" coming from? I don't recall anything by such a name, and a keyword search through the books only turns up 3 references to "Athena".
1) An Atlas-class liner; like Artemis which we saw in Silesia in HAE.
2) The CL HMS Athena in SVW -- the expected prey for Pierre's BC squadron when they found Bellerophon instead.
3) One of the treecats that followed Honor to Grayson.

And I don't see anything in the fight in Ajay [UH] that shows the lighter units are using Ghost Rider drones as CM fire control relays.
Uncompromising Honor wrote:Phantom, Cinqueda, Talwar, and Shikomizue had rolled ship thirty seconds ago. They could do that, because Phantom’s Keyhole platforms gave Ilkova and Albamonte uninterrupted sensor coverage, light-speed telemetry to the attack birds, and FTL links to the Ghost Rider drones, and it was going to make Kotou?’s ships far harder targets than any Solly had ever dreamed of attacking. It just wasn’t going to make them hard enough.
[snip]
The squadron’s point defense lashed out as the incoming missiles streaked “above” and “below” those interposed impeller wedges. She knew hundreds of incoming missiles had just disappeared, ripped to pieces by those strobing laser clusters. But she couldn’t see it; the globe of nuclear explosions completely enveloping TG 110.2 made it impossible.
She tasted blood from her bitten lip as that incredible, glaring ball of plasma erupted. Tens of thousands of warheads exploded, spawning their own bomb-pumped lasers, ripping at sidewalls, bow-walls, battle steel armor…and human flesh and bone. It seemed to take forever, although at a terminal velocity almost half the speed of light the actual attack was over in a heartbeat. In less than a second.
I took that as Phantom was controlling all CMs; via her Keyholes -- while simultaneously updating (via lightspeed) her Mk16s based on the continued FTL take from the Ghost Rider recon drones. The lighter ships had rolled defensively behind their wedges and were using their PDLCs, likely pre-cued by Ghost Rider RD info, to try to outdraw missiles as those crested the edge of the rolled wedge and reached line of sight to the ship.

Now we've seen before that offensively Ghost Rider RDs can boost the effectiveness of a lighter ship's missiles -- but they're still only talking to the ship. However since the ship now sees the enemy in effectively realtime that removes half the normal lightspeed delay of (non-Apollo) missile combat.

But if you've got text that shows RD's acting as fire control relays I'd love to see it.
Post by Relax   » Thu May 26, 2022 11:04 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Whatever the device used by Honor for FTL video is called. Guess it is not Athena. Mind fart for whatever it is that links Manticore A and Manticore B and she and others have used to talk.

Wrong battle in UH. Not Hypatia, Ajay. Pg ~130 or so. So roughly 1/4 way in book.

Yes, I meant hyper capable ship.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu May 26, 2022 11:11 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:Whatever the device used by Honor for FTL video is called. Guess it is not Athena. Mind fart for whatever it is that links Manticore A and Manticore B and she and others have used to talk.

Wrong Greek god name. That's Hermes, not Athena :)
Post by phillies   » Thu May 26, 2022 11:21 am

phillies
Admiral

How long does it take to bring up side walls and bucklers, assuming that the wedge is up?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu May 26, 2022 11:33 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:How long does it take to bring up side walls and bucklers, assuming that the wedge is up?

Seconds. Caught by total surprise, in peacetime, and with junior watchstanders getting some bridge time on their logs running things, the DN Bellerophon had her sidewall up, and helm put over to interpose it in "barely ten seconds". (That was in Short Victorious War)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu May 26, 2022 11:46 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:Next will address your post in reverse I think is best way
2nd, one must remember that tonnage as a cost consideration is useless as an indicator. Today, the hull cost of a ship is pennies on the dollar compared to systems cost, personnel cost, maintenance cost. This will only become MORE true in the future. As RFC has stated: Pearls of Weber: Warship construction costs (thefifthimperium.com)

“And, frankly, armor in the Honorverse is about as dirt cheap as any building component comes. Now, the primary weapons cost for a podnought is to be found in its missiles, not its shipboard weapon mounts, but we're talking construction here.”

So, if true for a podnaught, then should be true of a BC as well. The systems = $$$, not the ship itself.

I wasn't thinking of the cost of armour and building materials themselves as the driving factor. I was using the ship tonnage and its total volume as a proxy and first order approximation for everything else. A ship that is 4x larger than another probably carries 4x as many crew, which means it needs 4x as much consumables for their survival, 4x as many spare parts for its internal components, with 4x as many missiles aboard.

Theemile is completely right that some components will not scale linearly like this. You don't need 4x as many fusion reactors, and you won't need 4x as many main computer cores or ECCM suite. But for a first order approximation, without knowing the full cost breakdown, it's a reasonable meter-stick, especially since the long-term operational costs are probably going to outweigh the cost of building the dry hull.

Or maybe the cost doesn't scale linearly, but inverse-quadratically. That is, a ship 4x bigger costs "only" 2x more. Either way, a BC(L) costs way less than an SD(P).

So, build time BC(L) 14/18 or ~80% the hull cost of an SD'P minus the missiles

That's a MAJOR difference that you can't ignore. The missiles cost a lot. I've been pondering just how much the 2 million missiles that Honor fired at Galton cost overall.

Now, in peace time, you're not supposed to fire those missiles. So their absolute cost is diluted over time, so they're not going to contribute as much to the total cost of operation of the ship as they would at war time. That's not the case for the cost of people, consumables, and spare parts. Please let's not hear again about hexes and quads!

I wish you to reread what you posted and highlighted, especially that semi-colon. RFC's argument was making a comparison: a) in pre-First Havenite War standards, the BC(L)s would be expensive units (semi-colon) but b) today, they are austere, extremely economical compared to an SD(P). So he said that the BC(L)s aren't that expensive, for projecting the required capabilities. I'll concede he didn't compare the BC(L) to a CA(L), but to the SD(P)s. So if those SD(P)s are much more expensive than pre-war SDs, then the BC(L) will look cheap by comparison. And while that is likely the case, the CA(L)s are also likely more expensive than the pre-war Star Knight CAs, and the overall cost for everything has likely gone down anyway due to economies of scale.

He also said that the RMN designed the Nike to be the "minimum platform capable of performing the traditional battlecruiser roles." One caveat with that is that this is what the RMN designed or attempted to design, not the omniscient narrator saying that it is so, so we have to allow for a flawed design. You can also disagree on whether there's any need for the "traditional battlecruiser roles" in the first place. I'd trust the RMN more than you that there is such a need and this is the smallest ship that, in the era of MDMs and pod launches, that can do all those roles without too big a compromise in any of them. Smaller units can perform in some of those roles, like destroyers and light cruisers being used for commerce protection where nothing bigger than a frigate or an older destroyer is likely to ever show up. But they can't do all of the roles.

Anyways, between a couple of the links above, what BuWeaps has actually said is that THEY, like I, see that there are too many classes of ships in the modern MDM/DDM age. BuWeaps sees the Destroyer disappearing AND the SAG-C disappearing keeping the modern CL, BC(L), CLAC, SD'P. Naturally I argued for keeping a modernized CA instead of the BC(L) as I see the BC's role completely negated by MDM's as the only use of the BCL is beating up on neobarbs who do not have MDM pods... and those folks are going to be just as impressed by a CA.

The RMN tends to think about ship types more than ship classes or ship sizes. That's why the Nike is the "smallest battlecruiser" at 2.5 million tonnes and the destroyers have crept up to and leapfrogged the size of light cruisers. So the question is not what ships can perform which roles, but which roles need performing in the first place?

BuWeaps argument seems to be that there is no need for a ship type that fills the role that a CA traditionally does. I don't know what their argument is -- actually, I don't know what the role of a CA is in the first place. Given the RFC quoted text and what you're saying BuWeaps is saying, I could infer that the RMN needs a ship type that can perform some of the battlecruiser roles but not all, and that can be sufficiently achieved with just light cruisers.

I can't completely agree. By definition, the CL can't do all that a BC can do, so that would leave some roles unfulfilled by anything below the BC. So why not have another ship type that complements the CL for some of those other roles?

As for Keyhole you brought up: 1st iteration was 20,000t. Yet, why bother? We have Athena FTL capable ~RD which can send full video + data when a CM only needs 2 dimensional coordinates. The difference in data rate here is literally A million to 1 on the VERY low end. It is beyond absurd one could not use same platform to broadcast information to CM's.

The limitation of the Hermes was identified as one of the important reasons why Honor could not have attacked Tourville at a distance during Beatrice.

Bandwidth isn't everything. The Hermes is a civilian product, built to civilian specifications. So it's possible -- very likely even -- that there are other things it traded off that a military unit would have needed, like for example latency, or its own stealth. If it can be picked off easily in a battlefield, it's not going to help much in controlling missiles.

That said, I do expect that reducing the size of the Keyholes will be a priority, so smaller ships can carry them and/or they take less hull space in the ships that already do. Or more redundancy for SDs. Smaller units may also forego the defensive aspects of Keyhole and focus on FTL control of missiles, but if so, we have to remember that the units that can carry the full defensive Keyhole are that much tougher to get through to.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu May 26, 2022 11:56 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:Whatever the device used by Honor for FTL video is called. Guess it is not Athena. Mind fart for whatever it is that links Manticore A and Manticore B and she and others have used to talk.

Wrong battle in UH. Not Hypatia, Ajay. Pg ~130 or so. So roughly 1/4 way in book.

Yes, I meant hyper capable ship.

Sorry - I found Ajay and then searched for recon drone till I thought I'd found the relivant bit -- didn't realized I'd inadvertently skipped all the way to Hypatia.

Now that's I've gone back and skimmed --
Uncompromising Honor wrote:“Missile defense Reno, aye, Sir,” Wozniak replied. “Missile Defense has good tracking data from the Ghost Riders, and bow walls are active…now.” He looked over his shoulder and smiled at the commodore. “I think these people are in for a surprise, Sir.”
[snip]
Sir Martin Lessem’s Mark 16s weren’t Apollo-capable, and neither were his cruisers. But the Ghost Rider platforms’ FTL links cut the telemetry loop in half. They could see better than any missile’s sensors, they could report what they saw at FTL speeds—just as they were doing now on the massive incoming Solarian salvo—and that meant TG 47.3’s telemetry lasers could continue to update far longer than its Solarian opponents.
[snip]
The first of Lessem’s CMs went out 205 seconds after Isotalo’s launch, one second after the Cataphracts’ second-stage impellers lit off. A second wave of Mark 31s launched ten seconds after that. A third launched ten seconds after that. Then a fourth. The fifth and final wave of counter-missiles launched forty seconds after the first—thirty-five seconds before the Cataphracts could reach attack range. And then, with 2,080 Mark 31s headed downrange, every one of TG 47.3’s units rolled ship, turning up on their sides relative to TF 1027 to present only the bellies of their impeller wedges to the enemy.
[snip]
More to the point at the moment, however, Thomas Wozniak couldn’t manage the defensive engagement nearly as effectively as he might have with Keyhole-One or Keyhole-Two available. His ability to hand off his interceptors between different control platforms was much more limited, and he couldn’t establish direct telemetry links around the “dead spots” created by his own ships’ impeller wedges. What he could do, however, was to spread his Ghost Rider drones as broadly as possible and use their sensors to track the incoming fire. He could also—albeit with a certain degree of risk—roll ship to bring Clas Fleming’s or one of her consorts’ control links to bear on those dead zones and update the counter-missiles’ targeting solutions. At the current range, the risk was small; as the range closed, and time to roll back up disappeared, it could get risky indeed.
Ghost Rider couldn’t substitute for Keyhole’s telemetry links to the CMs, but it could feed the cruiser’s tactical section just fine
[bold added]
Seems pretty clear that there's no fire control relaying going through the Ghost Riders. What they are doing is feeding the cruisers and destroyers FTL sensor data -- so they've got much more up to date info, and so they can see incoming fire much more clearly than trying to look through their own imposed wedge.
But they can't continue to fire and control CM while rolled.

Instead they launched all they could, rolled (which cut telemetry links; except for a few where one ship could angle to get a view of another's CMs), blinded the inbound missiles with dazzlers, brought up Lorelai decoys while the seekers were blinded, and then used Ghost Rider info to have their PDLCs ready to pick off any missiles that were still targeting them.

Effective - but far less so that proper Keyhole.

[Oh, and while Ajay is the more memorable name and easier to search for; this part of the battle was actually on the other end of the Prime-Ajay Hyper Bridge -- ships were sent back through the wormhole to Ajay. The Ajay side was a short range ambush by Shrikes; as was finale of the Prime side]
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Thu May 26, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Honorverse