Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Welcome to recent new member Shannon Foraker!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Welcome to recent new member Shannon Foraker!
Post by sonex   » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:43 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Love your posts, Shannon. Foraker is one of my favorite characters in the Honorverse. I'm just an occasional poster, with Alzheimer's, and have read all the books five times, and starting on my sixth. Worked with computers for 33 years at Douglas/Mcdonnell Douglas. Retired early and took up building and flying Experimental aircraft. I had enough of the old workplace!

B.D.Harrington
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Re: Welcome to recent new member Shannon Foraker!
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:55 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Thanks! This means a lot!
Post by sonex   » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:06 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Here's a question for our forum friends ( :mrgreen: ).
Just how many of us are "Tech nerds".
Start a list.
1. Sonex
2. Shannon Foraker
Post by sonex   » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:49 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

sonex wrote:Here's a question for our forum friends ( :mrgreen: ).
Start a list.
1. Sonex
2. Shannon Foraker

What? No takers? I know you are out there!!!! :o :shock: :lol:
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:14 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

sonex wrote:
Start a list.
1. Sonex
2. Shannon Foraker

What? No takers? I know you are out there!!!! :o :shock: :lol:

I know Sonex and I can't be the only ones...
Post by tlb   » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:58 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Start a list.
1. Sonex
2. Shannon Foraker

sonex wrote:What? No takers? I know you are out there!!!! :o :shock: :lol:

Shannon_Foraker wrote:I know Sonex and I can't be the only ones...

Although I studied physics, I actually made a career as a programmer on business software. Not sure whether I am a nerd, probably more of a dweeb (now retired).
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:11 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Start a list.
1. Sonex
2. Shannon Foraker

sonex wrote:What? No takers? I know you are out there!!!! :o :shock: :lol:

Shannon_Foraker wrote:I know Sonex and I can't be the only ones...

tlb wrote:Although I studied physics, I actually made a career as a programmer on business software. Not sure whether I am a nerd, probably more of a dweeb (now retired).

I suppose I am straddling the fence. I am a civil engineer and programmer, and I love theory. But in school I was also a jock who happened to excel in my studies. I wanted to get into the college of my choice.

But my friends would never accept me calling myself a nerd, because being a jock all through school also made me, hmm, lucky with the ladies. Nerds are not usually accepted as lovers. I was some kind of freak accident I was told. I have also traveled the globe, getting "an education not found in text books," my mother was so fond of saying.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by sonex   » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:45 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

I know there are more of us out there! 8-)
During my ten years getting my BA, my first major was Physics.
Then Biology (for AI), then finally math just to graduate. I lacked one Physics course and the lab for a BS in Physics.
But during the last 8 years I worked full time plus 16 months as an Army Reservist (remember the Draft in the '60s) and went to UCLA part time.
My full-time work started operating big scientific computers for Douglas Aircraft for 7 years, then switched to programming the same computers for 26 years, mostly on the Operating Systems.
The last 11 of those years was supporting a Black project.
Retired at 55, built two Kit aircraft, helped many others with their homebuilt projects. Got my Private Pilot License in 1965 and flew airplanes until dementia hit about 8 years ago.
I have always been called a Nerd starting with High School in the '50s. And no student loans!
:geek:
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:45 am

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

I enjoy astronomy, tech, astrophotography, Star Wars, the Honorverse, fanfic writing, and more. I also somehow became the smart kid who replaced most social skills with academic or hobby skills (I don't enjoy group work, and prefer to work alone on school projects).

I find tech nerding to be a good stress reliever from in-person interaction with lots of loud people. I also like the forum, to chat about the books, and characters (I just finished Mission of Honor (as well as SI2, and most of CoS), but don't care about spoilers).

When will we get our next scene with Shannon at Bolthole (does ART have some, or is it just UH)?
Post by sonex   » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:37 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Shannon_Foraker wrote:I enjoy astronomy, tech, astrophotography, Star Wars, the Honorverse, fanfic writing, and more. I also somehow became the smart kid who replaced most social skills with academic or hobby skills (I don't enjoy group work, and prefer to work alone on school projects).

I find tech nerding to be a good stress reliever from in-person interaction with lots of loud people. I also like the forum, to chat about the books, and characters (I just finished Mission of Honor (as well as SI2, and most of CoS), but don't care about spoilers).

When will we get our next scene with Shannon at Bolthole (does ART have some, or is it just UH)?

I also enjoy anything relative to the cosmos. Like what if the universe is infinite (big bangs all over the place!).

I have problems chatting about the books even right after I have read one (Alzheimer's). I just finished the 3 Star Kingdom books and await the next one coming out in June. I had to reread twice the last chapter of Treecat Wars to try to remember Karl's new treecat name! Wait, what was it? I grab my Kindle. Ah, Shining Sunlight. :roll:

There are several reading lists suggesting reading order.

Return to Honorverse