Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

What next after To End in Fire

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What next after To End in Fire
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:I finally was able to get around to reading "To End in Fire" and was not impressed... Do not know what I expected but perhaps an end. Perhaps Harrington's children or grandchildren will put a stake through the heart of the Onion for her and that will be the next book.

I definitely agree Senior Chief. Perhaps you and I are the only two in the forum who played with fire enough as kids to remember how hot it is supposed to be.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:26 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:I finally was able to get around to reading "To End in Fire" and was not impressed... Do not know what I expected but perhaps an end. Perhaps Harrington's children or grandchildren will put a stake through the heart of the Onion for her and that will be the next book.

cthia wrote:I definitely agree Senior Chief. Perhaps you and I are the only two in the forum who played with fire enough as kids to remember how hot it is supposed to be.

I do not think that anyone in the forum thought of TEiF as an ending after reading it.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:01 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

tlb wrote:I do not think that anyone in the forum thought of TEiF as an ending after reading it.

TEiF is the start of a decades, if not generations, long pause while the MA regroups, the GA discerns that Galton was not the System That Must Be Protected, and the next generation of Harringtons (Honor/Hamish/Emily's, as well as Allison/ Alfred's little ones) to achieve some experience in their chosen professions, and Abbie, Helen and company to achieve some rank.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:36 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:TEiF is the start of a decades, if not generations, long pause while the MA regroups, the GA discerns that Galton was not the System That Must Be Protected, and the next generation of Harringtons (Honor/Hamish/Emily's, as well as Allison/ Alfred's little ones) to achieve some experience in their chosen professions, and Abbie, Helen and company to achieve some rank.

Maybe, but that contradicts what RFC said about what he's planned a few years ago. He said the long-term story with Raoul in the Navy was scrapped.

He says there are two or three books left in the HV mainline. I don't think that's enough to flesh out the children and still have them make a useful contribution at the end. Instead, it's likely those characters we've already been introduced to (Abby, Helen, Paulo, Terekhov, etc.) will be the ones to be in the centre of the action.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:49 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

TEiF seemed an interlude (except for all the shooting at Galton) but mostly to run the threads of tracking down the Alignment and (as well as sorting out and rebuilding Mesa under Torch guidance) reset parts of the board for the next stage of the game.
I suppose you can't just run from high point to high point in a series without transitions and building what is going on in the background. I read it. I will reread it again in a month or two -other stuff going on- but I'm giving it several months to settle before I take a deeper look.
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Fox2! wrote:TEiF is the start of a decades, if not generations, long pause while the MA regroups, the GA discerns that Galton was not the System That Must Be Protected, and the next generation of Harringtons (Honor/Hamish/Emily's, as well as Allison/ Alfred's little ones) to achieve some experience in their chosen professions, and Abbie, Helen and company to achieve some rank.

Maybe, but that contradicts what RFC said about what he's planned a few years ago. He said the long-term story with Raoul in the Navy was scrapped.

He says there are two or three books left in the HV mainline. I don't think that's enough to flesh out the children and still have them make a useful contribution at the end. Instead, it's likely those characters we've already been introduced to (Abby, Helen, Paulo, Terekhov, etc.) will be the ones to be in the centre of the action.

I am not so sure Raoul can't make a significant contribution very soon even as a babe. He has unprecedented empathic skills himself. He could help break a case wide open without even knowing it.

How about Raoul visit the Catskills on Earth and stumble on a breakthrough with his Cat skills.

Raoul's Cat skills in the Catskills.

This is a tough crowd.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:TEiF seemed an interlude (except for all the shooting at Galton) but mostly to run the threads of tracking down the Alignment and (as well as sorting out and rebuilding Mesa under Torch guidance) reset parts of the board for the next stage of the game.
I suppose you can't just run from high point to high point in a series without transitions and building what is going on in the background. I read it. I will reread it again in a month or two -other stuff going on- but I'm giving it several months to settle before I take a deeper look.

That is a nice way to look at it Brigade. I am allowing my sponge to digest what it has soaked up before a reread as well.

The biggest question for the next novel? Timeline. How much will it jump ahead, if it jumps ahead.

Post by redemption   » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:27 pm

redemption
Ensign

cthia wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:TEiF seemed an interlude (except for all the shooting at Galton) but mostly to run the threads of tracking down the Alignment and (as well as sorting out and rebuilding Mesa under Torch guidance) reset parts of the board for the next stage of the game.

That is a nice way to look at it Brigade. I am allowing my sponge to digest what it has soaked up before a reread as well.

The biggest question for the next novel? Timeline. How much will it jump ahead, if it jumps ahead.

There is 2 options really depending on what David Weber wants to do and really Eric Flint for that matter as well.

If it stays in the current timeline: Honestly I think the easiest full proof way Honor and/or GA learns of Darius or atleast the fact there is another system is Audrey O'Hanrahan doubts either intentionally or unitentionally opens up to her or Catherine Montaigne about contact with Phoebe and a 3rd "other alignment" which was clearly distinguished as not the one on Mesa (now known as Engangement). I am sure Harahap Indy Anton and Victor will find other evidence but it is clearly the link that will prove the stepping stone connection point. She was told by Phoebe there is another planet full of detwiller mcbryde and other genotypes with no slaves that is not known to the greater universe. It's hinted even when Honor's talk about the heads of the hydra 2+ months before they left Manticore for the Galton attack. Audrey's inner monologue warned her Honor was right. We also know Zachariah McBryde and Anastasia Chernevsky will figure into the eventual downfall of the alignment in one way or form since even though Anastasia was creating the defense they are in fact on Darius Gama. We also have a clear inner council with Antwone Carpinteria and Evelyn Adebayo that are disgusted with the Yawatta Strike and doesn't agree with the "speciation of the human race", we don't fully know where their janus protocol leads. Is it a direct opposition to the Detwiller or more adjacent on Darius itself. What is their contact with Phoebe? This clearly is a thread that could easily be 2+ more books. But I do think the honorverse mainline deserves a true end soon before it is watered down.

If it timeskips it could easily be the descendants of honor and GA and MA characters and very likely a bloody with ghastly death toll 3rd Battle of Manticore down the road. It would be hard to top the death toll of the Beowulf Strike (43+ mil) but it would have to be even larger really to be the kind of terror campaign Detwillers descendants would engender. I find the timeskip a lot less appealing because it not only waters down the honorverse as a whole you would have a basis of characters that are only relatable due to who their parents and grandparents were. A lot of authors who have gone down that route after a series as influential and ground breaking as honor harrington has been, regret it deeply in the end. Best case example is look at Ryk Brown Frontier Saga which pulled off a sequel series but then tried an embaressing Third series which his fans have all but stopped reading his stuff he even lost his best publisher and editor over it. Glynn Stewart ran into this issue as well with multiple long series the eternal question when is the end, the end.
Last edited by redemption on Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by tlb   » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:00 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

redemption wrote:There is 2 options really depending on what David Weber wants to do and really Eric Flint for that matter as well.

You should be aware that Eric Flint died earlier this year, so perhaps David will get another collaborator.

Bur Eric is significant, because he started the events that wrote Honor's children out of participation in the mainline events. I expect the next novel to follow the efforts by the navies to shut down all slaver activities. Of more interest, are the multiple groups (such as Cachet, Zilwicki, Hanrahap and his cat) that are still digging away in the hunt for clues to anything and everything that the Malign may have tried to hide away. The jackpot would be if they catch signs of the ongoing connections between Darius and the outside world.
Post by redemption   » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:13 pm

redemption
Ensign

tlb wrote:
redemption wrote:There is 2 options really depending on what David Weber wants to do and really Eric Flint for that matter as well.

You should be aware that Eric Flint died earlier this year, so perhaps David will get another collaborator.

Bur Eric is significant, because he started the events that wrote Honor's children out of participation in the mainline events. I expect the next novel to follow the efforts by the navies to shut down all slaver activities. Of more interest, are the multiple groups (such as Cachet, Zilwicki, Hanrahap and his cat) that are still digging away in the hunt for clues to anything and everything that the Malign may have tried to hide away. The jackpot would be if they catch signs of the ongoing connections between Darius and the outside world.

I wasn't aware of that that saddens me deeply.

I see that with Anton Victor Indy Ruth Harahap cats etc.

But I do think there is an entire completly different aspect. The fact we have "other alignment" on old terra will come into fact. What is their relation to the inner council on Darius. What does their Janus protocol mean towards their view against the Detwillers as Antowne pointed out her disagreement with the "speciation of human race". Was Phoebe just touting the party line when she was talking to Audrey and was she or not aware Darius was responsible for the Yawatta and Beowulf strikes. These are questions that I could see could lead to knoweldge of Darius getting out from.

Return to Honorverse