Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 122 guests

about the alignment (sort of spoilers)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: about the alignment (sort of spoilers)
Post by tinfoil   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:21 pm

tinfoil
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Duckk wrote:
jeremysaint wrote:not the reference i was thinking of Duckk, but in the last chapter of the most recent book, President Prichart states that the alignment requires the destruction, not defeat, but destruction of both manticore and the republic of haven. i so desperately wish i could remember where the actual reference i was remembering is.

Which is correct, in that the government and way of life for the peoples of the Haven Quadrant would be subsumed by the Alignment's ultimate goals. Haven's rabid egalitarianism has little recognition for people who are supposedly born superior. Manticore (despite the now defunct Conservative Association), Erewhon, and Beowulf likewise have little in common with the Alignment since both are in their own ways very merit driven societies.

as for the alignments crazy plan...

unless the alignment is especially foolish, they would know that you promote ideas with logic, not violence. education, not guns. and if you have the time and resources to enact a centuries long scheme, surely you could have done a great job of educating society and promoting your ideas in that time.

what is more, and i think this is very important, skrags and the like were relevant in earths "final war" because (i assume) that infantry combat was relevant then. people were afraid of super genetically engineered boogeymen with impossible reflexes and strength.

infantry combat is utterly irrelevant in interstellar warfare such as that found in the manticore-haven wars. the entire marine corp of either manticore or haven could have been genetically engineered super soldiers and it would not have changed a single thing. for that matter, is a skrag in power armor especially more effective than a regular person in power armor?

as such i simply dont understand why people express fear or prejudice towards skrags.

human society has outgrown racial prejudice but has to develop some other unreasonable reason to fear or hate?

The US still is feeling the effects of slavery 150 years after its abolishment. Middle East countries range from distrust to outright hatred of European countries, the root of which can partially be traced back to the Crusades and imperial days. So it's not unfathomable that the most destructive war fought on Earth which produced billions if not tens of billions of deaths, destroyed much of Earth's capacity to sustain life, and preserved in electronic media for all time be remembered and feared.

As for the Mesan Alignment in particular, they did try to approach it in a reasonable, public manner, but was shouted down by Beowulf. And since Beowulf's position has not changed a single iota since Leonard Detweiler's time, the Alignment knows its not going to get a fair hearing at all, ever, unless it changes the context of the debate. Hence the destruction of the League. Could this have been approached in the kind of cold blooded Vulcan-like logic way over the centuries? Possibly. But history shows decisions aren't made by emotionless logic machines, it's made by people. And the people of a ideology or nation tend to counter derision with militancy.

So ultimately, I see no problem with the genesis of the Alignment or the strategy it adopted in light of what happened to the adherents of Leonard Detweiler.

The MA has a goal: improving humanity, and its quality of life (on their own terms).

I suspect that their def'n of humanity mostly includes their own alpha lines, and perhaps the beta/gammas.

Many Mesans in the series seem to be quite willing to enjoy luxuries when available, and care little about the fate of 'common folk'

Under the plan, I suspect that the REST of humanity are going to be relegated to untermensch status. So if a few (say 10-30%) are killed while the galaxy is restructured, oh well.

The only reason why they are hiding and avoiding EE-type atrocities for now is pragmatic: They are afraid of the Sollies. But once the Sollies are broken up, what's to stop them? Don't forget that there has only ever been ONE enforcer of the Eriandi Edict, and they are about to remove that piece from the chessboard.

Create a dark-enough age, kill/starve enough people, and then show that only the MA and their better-life-through-better-genes can save them.

The 'belief system' they follow may be one where better genes make better people make a better universe, but the MA wants to be the ones to decide what 'better' means for everyone.
Post by jeremysaint   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:08 pm

jeremysaint
Ensign

in the past there has only been one enforcer for the EE. but the MA is clearly not too concerned with the SLN anymore, they realize that the technological advantages of manticore or haven totally outclass the SLN militarily. and for that matter, their own technological advancements render any threat of SLN retaliation moot. further, the MA doesnt really care about mesa either, so there would be no one and no where to punish if the MA did go about committing EE violations.

while i agree that they seem to want to subjugate all of humanity, i dont understand why. the rulers of the MA already enjoy unlimited luxury, unlimited freedom to research their genetics, and most importantly, enormous safety and security. they are trading that safety and security to go from subjugating a few billion people to subjugating a few hundred billion people. there would be no material gain to themselves, and they are incurring incredible risk to do it.

duckk,
earth's final war occured almost 2 thousand years prior to the honor harrington books. surely after 2 thousand years they would have begun to think more rationally about genetic engineering.
Post by SWM   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:27 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

jeremysaint wrote:duckk,
earth's final war occured almost 2 thousand years prior to the honor harrington books. surely after 2 thousand years they would have begun to think more rationally about genetic engineering.

Not true. It has only been 1050 years since the end of the Final War. And until 500 years or so ago, sublight colony ships were still arriving at their colonies with people from that era cryogenically frozen.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by jeremysaint   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:20 pm

jeremysaint
Ensign

your sure it has only been about 500 years? the date references in the most recent book are all about 1920 post diaspora.
Post by Potato   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Potato
Captain of the List

The era has no bearing on when the Final War was fought. The Post Diaspora era is merely indicative of when the first colony ship left Earth.
Post by john964   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:48 pm

john964
Commodore

Potato wrote:The era has no bearing on when the Final War was fought. The Post Diaspora era is merely indicative of when the first colony ship left Earth.

Not quite, According to UHH it was when the first manned intersteller ship left solar system. The next intersteller ship left IIRC 50 years later. They probably did not start using the Post Dispora dating system until years later.

According to Honorverse timeline the Final War officialy ended 943 PD.
Post by kzt   » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:08 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

tinfoil wrote:The only reason why they are hiding and avoiding EE-type atrocities for now is pragmatic: They are afraid of the Sollies. But once the Sollies are broken up, what's to stop them? Don't forget that there has only ever been ONE enforcer of the Eriandi Edict, and they are about to remove that piece from the chessboard.

David posted that the reason they avoided it isn't due to the SLN, it's because killing 95% of the population of Manticore (which was TOTALLY within their power) with the tech they used would have eventually been traced to them. And with some 2000 systems in the SL core how many would decide that the universe is too small to accommodate themselves and people who plow up entire planetary populations?

Having a significant percentage of the (non-Beowulf duaghter's) SL systems decide to fight a war to the knife against to MA for reasons like "they will kill us unless we kill them first" is judged as likely to not work out well for the the MA.
Post by Alistair   » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:55 am

Alistair
Rear Admiral

What ever the amount of years it has been a lot.

long enough for people to have long forgotten
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:20 am

namelessfly

[quote="Alistair"]What ever the amount of years it has been a lot.

long enough for people to have long forgotten[/quote

Those who forget history are doomed ton repeat it.

1,000 years is so long in a society where people live for centuries.
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:32 am

namelessfly

It is all about the joy of control. Back in the late 19th and early 20th century, the rich were pushing the Eugenics movement. Late 20th and 21st century sees the rich pushing Th Limits To Growth hokum and Global Warming Theology. If those guys would invest some money on cheap space launchers to build Solar Power Satellytes there would be no energy shortage. Ditto for OTEC which would also sequester CO2. Keep in mind that solving the problem would make them even richer. However, they prefer to bankroll the hysteria and impede any solutions so that they can justify imposing control.

Am I sounding like a Marxist Lenninist Liberal.

tinfoil wrote:
Duckk wrote:
jeremysaint wrote:not the reference i was thinking of Duckk, but in the last chapter of the most recent book, President Prichart states that the alignment requires the destruction, not defeat, but destruction of both manticore and the republic of haven. i so desperately wish i could remember where the actual reference i was remembering is.

Which is correct, in that the government and way of life for the peoples of the Haven Quadrant would be subsumed by the Alignment's ultimate goals. Haven's rabid egalitarianism has little recognition for people who are supposedly born superior. Manticore (despite the now defunct Conservative Association), Erewhon, and Beowulf likewise have little in common with the Alignment since both are in their own ways very merit driven societies.

as for the alignments crazy plan...

unless the alignment is especially foolish, they would know that you promote ideas with logic, not violence. education, not guns. and if you have the time and resources to enact a centuries long scheme, surely you could have done a great job of educating society and promoting your ideas in that time.

what is more, and i think this is very important, skrags and the like were relevant in earths "final war" because (i assume) that infantry combat was relevant then. people were afraid of super genetically engineered boogeymen with impossible reflexes and strength.

infantry combat is utterly irrelevant in interstellar warfare such as that found in the manticore-haven wars. the entire marine corp of either manticore or haven could have been genetically engineered super soldiers and it would not have changed a single thing. for that matter, is a skrag in power armor especially more effective than a regular person in power armor?

as such i simply dont understand why people express fear or prejudice towards skrags.

human society has outgrown racial prejudice but has to develop some other unreasonable reason to fear or hate?

The US still is feeling the effects of slavery 150 years after its abolishment. Middle East countries range from distrust to outright hatred of European countries, the root of which can partially be traced back to the Crusades and imperial days. So it's not unfathomable that the most destructive war fought on Earth which produced billions if not tens of billions of deaths, destroyed much of Earth's capacity to sustain life, and preserved in electronic media for all time be remembered and feared.

As for the Mesan Alignment in particular, they did try to approach it in a reasonable, public manner, but was shouted down by Beowulf. And since Beowulf's position has not changed a single iota since Leonard Detweiler's time, the Alignment knows its not going to get a fair hearing at all, ever, unless it changes the context of the debate. Hence the destruction of the League. Could this have been approached in the kind of cold blooded Vulcan-like logic way over the centuries? Possibly. But history shows decisions aren't made by emotionless logic machines, it's made by people. And the people of a ideology or nation tend to counter derision with militancy.

So ultimately, I see no problem with the genesis of the Alignment or the strategy it adopted in light of what happened to the adherents of Leonard Detweiler.

The MA has a goal: improving humanity, and its quality of life (on their own terms).

I suspect that their def'n of humanity mostly includes their own alpha lines, and perhaps the beta/gammas.

Many Mesans in the series seem to be quite willing to enjoy luxuries when available, and care little about the fate of 'common folk'

Under the plan, I suspect that the REST of humanity are going to be relegated to untermensch status. So if a few (say 10-30%) are killed while the galaxy is restructured, oh well.

The only reason why they are hiding and avoiding EE-type atrocities for now is pragmatic: They are afraid of the Sollies. But once the Sollies are broken up, what's to stop them? Don't forget that there has only ever been ONE enforcer of the Eriandi Edict, and they are about to remove that piece from the chessboard.

Create a dark-enough age, kill/starve enough people, and then show that only the MA and their better-life-through-better-genes can save them.

The 'belief system' they follow may be one where better genes make better people make a better universe, but the MA wants to be the ones to decide what 'better' means for everyone.

Return to Honorverse