Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 158 guests

Attacking Darius:

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Attacking Darius:
Post by penny   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:14 am

penny
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
markusschaber wrote:As far as I remember, there has been some technologies (especially the spider drives) which were not available to Galton to begin with, but nothing has been "taken away" from Galton which they had before. They produced as much of the newest generation weapons as their infrastructure could sustain, including FTL and rather good stealth. It's just cutting edge technology, and only a single star system, so their production capacity has been limited and still ramping up.

There's also no proof that the extra MAlign technology would have helped. Well, literally, because they haven't been in use against an enemy.

Oh come on! If the extra tech works, it would have helped. If Galton had access to a few LDs, Imperator and its CO would be dead. Galton managed to sucker punch Honor without an LD.

Thinksmarkedly wrote:But I will say that the spiders and the full MAlign package could not have saved Galton. First, at least at this point in the timeline, there's no way that Galton could have produced enough hardware to even come close to what I imagine penny imagines the Darius system will be protected with. There would be no LDs available; the biggest ships would be Sharks and those can't fire torpedoes internally. The torpedoes would have been a nasty surprise and would have taken some toll on the GF, but it would be a matter of time until the GF found a workaround and the Galtonians ran out of them anyway.

Second, Gail was right: even if Galton managed to stop the GF short by inflicting debilitating losses, the Galton infrastructure would be gone but the GA's wouldn't. The GF would reform and come back in a few months. Meanwhile, Galton wouldn't have anything new (if suddenly new hardware appeared, then the existence of Darius would be obvious).

Oh, the GA will definitely have to reform and come back after showing up without an invite. Neobarbs.

But methinks your prediction that Darius' infrastructure will be gone is in error. You cannot destroy what you can not see.

Darius won't have anything new? It will be new enough. And don't you think you're getting ahead of yourself by thinking there will be anything left of your posse to hyper out. We're invisible, you might not even get a ship out to warn the MBS. Thinking about detaching a ship? We'll detach it for you. LOL

Thinksmarkedly wrote:Third, because I don't think even Darius can withstand the determined GF. It may take multiple battles, but once the lair is found, the GA wins due to its superior navy and industry sizes and quality.

Superior navy my abs. Superior against a traditional enemy with wedges, yes. But against the MA, you brought the wrong tools.

You can't bring a wedge to a spider-drive fight.

Besides, you might find yourself highly outclassed by Darius' SDs.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by penny   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:21 am

penny
Captain of the List

Okay, everybody. What other officer are you planning on sentencing to death when he / she attacks Darius?

Who? ... since Honor is retired.

Post by tlb   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:54 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Okay, everybody. What other officer are you planning on sentencing to death when he / she attacks Darius?

Who? ... since Honor is retired.

It is up to the author whether the Commander dies attacking Darius. Even Honor could die if he decides.
Post by munroburton   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:11 am

munroburton
Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
markusschaber wrote:As far as I remember, there has been some technologies (especially the spider drives) which were not available to Galton to begin with, but nothing has been "taken away" from Galton which they had before. They produced as much of the newest generation weapons as their infrastructure could sustain, including FTL and rather good stealth. It's just cutting edge technology, and only a single star system, so their production capacity has been limited and still ramping up.

There's also no proof that the extra MAlign technology would have helped. Well, literally, because they haven't been in use against an enemy.

And there's pretty good proof that it wouldn't have helped. The MAlign's best tactician(at Darius) was sinking into depression whilst running sims on defending Galton from a GA attack. At one point she wishes she could use everything the Alignment had access to, but concedes that it would not make a difference to Galton's fate, merely increase the GA's butcher bill.

She watched the attacking Grand Alliance fleet drive into the teeth of Alpha’s defenses and wished yet again that she’d been allowed to use the graser torpedoes. The spider drive was slower than any impeller-drive missile, but it was also virtually undetectable. If she’d been allowed to deploy a few thousand torpedoes on the attacker’s probable approach vectors, they could have wreaked havoc on the capital ships and LAC carriers that never saw them coming. And they could strike their targets well before the attacker reached her own range of Alpha System’s vital organs. No one had explained to her why she couldn’t employ them, but it was self-evident to her that if her superiors had regarded Alpha’s survival as truly vital, they would have released the torpedoes to her.
Not that it would have made much difference in the end.
And that, she had realized, was what bothered her the most.
This entire effort, everything she, Carpinteria, and their team had put together over the past months, was an exercise in futility. The plain, ugly truth was that no single star system could successfully defend itself against the kind of massive, sophisticated firepower which was the Grand Alliance’s signature. It simply couldn’t be done. Fixed defenses, however powerful, were ultimately doomed against anyone with that sort of long-ranged, stand-off capability and deep enough magazines.
<snip>
At the very least, a sufficiently massive wave of torpedoes had the potential to inflict enough damage to compel the attackers to…reevaluate their own approach. Yet even that would be—could be—only a stay of execution. Because the next time the attackers would know about the torpedoes. They would drop across the wall, acquire their targets, dump their shoals of missiles, and then promptly disappear back into hyper, counting on the Mark 23-E’s sophisticated AI to manage that torrent of destruction*.
<snip>
And neither did the fact that, like every other tactic she’d been able to generate, her victory had been ultimately futile. The Grand Alliance would be back again, assuming Alpha was remotely as important as it appeared to be, and all she’d really accomplished was to kill thirty or forty thousand Grand Alliance spacers.

Forty thousand dead spacers, or the equivalent of 20 SD(P)s, is quite a bloody nose but small beer compared to First Manticore. Haven's donkey surprise was far more devastating.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:23 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:There's also no proof that the extra MAlign technology would have helped. Well, literally, because they haven't been in use against an enemy.

And there's pretty good proof that it wouldn't have helped. The MAlign's best tactician(at Darius) was sinking into depression whilst running sims on defending Galton from a GA attack. At one point she wishes she could use everything the Alignment had access to, but concedes that it would not make a difference to Galton's fate, merely increase the GA's butcher bill.

And for that matter, Gail wouldn't have been able to really factor in Honor's special touch in those simulations. So they're also a solid argument that any competent GA admiral should have done fine at Galton.

Honor is irreplaceable on an emotional level; but in the painful calculus of war the effectiveness of the GA navies doesn't depend on any one person, however skilled and beloved. There are plenty of people who'd be able to pick up and competently get the job done should she be killed.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:40 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:And there's pretty good proof that it wouldn't have helped. The MAlign's best tactician(at Darius) was sinking into depression whilst running sims on defending Galton from a GA attack. At one point she wishes she could use everything the Alignment had access to, but concedes that it would not make a difference to Galton's fate, merely increase the GA's butcher bill.

She watched the attacking Grand Alliance fleet drive into the teeth of Alpha’s defenses and wished yet again that she’d been allowed to use the graser torpedoes. The spider drive was slower than any impeller-drive missile, but it was also virtually undetectable. If she’d been allowed to deploy a few thousand torpedoes on the attacker’s probable approach vectors, they could have wreaked havoc on the capital ships and LAC carriers that never saw them coming. And they could strike their targets well before the attacker reached her own range of Alpha System’s vital organs.
[cut]

Forty thousand dead spacers, or the equivalent of 20 SD(P)s, is quite a bloody nose but small beer compared to First Manticore. Haven's donkey surprise was far more devastating.

Thank you, munro.

But I want to point out another assumption in Gail's tactical plans where she failed to account for reality: in the passage above, she's talking about possibly seeding thousands of torpedoes on the GF's probable approach vectors and inflict damage before the GF ranged on the Galton infrastructure.

But we know Honor did no such thing. Maybe this was Honor's touch, but all she did was not drive in the system. She fired from the hyperlimit and the battle was entirely conducted from some 10 light-minutes away. The "System Alpha" infrastructure was in range the moment that the GF translated from hyper. The Mk23E/F capabilities were actually worse than what Gail assumed would be the fallback option:
They would drop across the wall, acquire their targets, dump their shoals of missiles, and then promptly disappear back into hyper, counting on the Mark 23-E’s sophisticated AI to manage that torrent of destruction.

That's exactly what happened, except for the GF translating back into hyper to escape. So the thousands of g-torps wouldn't have helped because they would be nowhere near the GF.

They'd have had to accelerate into the fleet, like the Hastas III did. Whether they'd be picked up early enough is anyone's guess. But even if they weren't picked, I doubt they could have generated an attack on HMS Imperator itself to exclusion of everyone else.

Gail concluded Galton couldn't be defended with more hardware than Darius could have provided even if they sent everything and the kitchen sink. Like I said, once it was found, it was doomed to fall eventually.

Can Darius be defended? I can't if the GA infrastructure is intact, because the GA can come back. Darius can only survive, if found, if the GA home systems are cinders... and possibly quite a few Core Worlds too. If someone is going around and doing EE-level attacks on system infrastructures and I were the president of a wealthy Core World, I'd be wary of being next too so I'd want the threat eliminated.
Post by tlb   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:37 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:But I want to point out another assumption in Gail's tactical plans where she failed to account for reality: in the passage above, she's talking about possibly seeding thousands of torpedoes on the GF's probable approach vectors and inflict damage before the GF ranged on the Galton infrastructure.

But we know Honor did no such thing. Maybe this was Honor's touch, but all she did was not drive in the system. She fired from the hyperlimit and the battle was entirely conducted from some 10 light-minutes away. The "System Alpha" infrastructure was in range the moment that the GF translated from hyper. The Mk23E/F capabilities were actually worse than what Gail assumed would be the fallback option:
They would drop across the wall, acquire their targets, dump their shoals of missiles, and then promptly disappear back into hyper, counting on the Mark 23-E’s sophisticated AI to manage that torrent of destruction.

That's exactly what happened, except for the GF translating back into hyper to escape. So the thousands of g-torps wouldn't have helped because they would be nowhere near the GF.

They'd have had to accelerate into the fleet, like the Hastas III did. Whether they'd be picked up early enough is anyone's guess. But even if they weren't picked, I doubt they could have generated an attack on HMS Imperator itself to exclusion of everyone else.

To be fair, if they had located all those Hasta III's somewhere just outside the hyper limit on the direct approach to Galton, then they would never needed to accelerate; because they would be in firing range of the fleet as it translated. The Malign should have noted how she attacked the Sol System.
Post by munroburton   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:57 pm

munroburton
Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Thank you, munro.

But I want to point out another assumption in Gail's tactical plans where she failed to account for reality: in the passage above, she's talking about possibly seeding thousands of torpedoes on the GF's probable approach vectors and inflict damage before the GF ranged on the Galton infrastructure.

Almost. IIRC, Honor's newest staff officer(I forgot her name) was advocating exactly that approach, to bombard the infrastructure and run away.

It's an interesting point. The issue is that if they had done it that way, they would still have had to enter the hyper limit eventually and expose themselves to any prepositioned weapons which their scouts and recon screen didn't pick up. Granted, without its forts Galton's ability to coordinate those weapons would be compromised.

Of course, in that scenario Galton(or Darius itself) cannot be saved. It has already lost before its weapons even had a chance; all they could do is extract a little vengeance. Even if they annihilated the entire fleet at this point, they do not have anything to rebuild what they'll need to fend off a second GA attack.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:48 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:To be fair, if they had located all those Hasta III's somewhere just outside the hyper limit on the direct approach to Galton, then they would never needed to accelerate; because they would be in firing range of the fleet as it translated. The Malign should have noted how she attacked the Sol System.

And Honor did translate down right on the hyperlimit... which was reckless. Maybe it was slightly off the minimum time course, but still.

Especially since she didn't need to be that close for the opening salvos.
Post by penny   » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:33 pm

penny
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
tlb wrote:To be fair, if they had located all those Hasta III's somewhere just outside the hyper limit on the direct approach to Galton, then they would never needed to accelerate; because they would be in firing range of the fleet as it translated. The Malign should have noted how she attacked the Sol System.

And Honor did translate down right on the hyperlimit... which was reckless. Maybe it was slightly off the minimum time course, but still.

Especially since she didn't need to be that close for the opening salvos.

In my opening post ... Darius' defenses will make the MBS look like a Boy Scout Camp. Shoals of Hasta IIIs will be found all over the system.

The MA has now taken note of Honor's tactics at Sol and Galton. Those Hasta IIIs will force Honor off of the pitcher's mound. If Honor is forced off of the mound, what tactic will be left for her? She could keep hypering out and back in, launching after acquiring, then rinse and repeat.

But it is a dangerous tactic that requires lots of maneuvering in the midst of spider webs. I don't think that tactic will be available to her at Darius anyway. The enemy and their emplacements have to be acquired before launch. What enemy? What emplacements? Where are they?

As I said way upstream in this thread, like the Vietnamese did to the Americans, an entrenched Darius will force the GA to wade through the system taking heavy casualties. It will not be business as usual against an entrenched and heavily fortified Darius with their garage of toys open.

Late edit: If I were the MAN, as soon as the GA hypered in, I would commit several launches of the shoals of g-torps all over the system on preprogrammed paths. They are already in flight. I suppose this is close enough in utility to the RMN's tactic of tractoring pods.

Nice textev munroburton. Kudoses?

Return to Honorverse