Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 104 guests

Wormhole Assault: MA Style

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Wormhole Assault: MA Style
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:46 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I don't recall anything that said that the pairs entry/exit landed were space equally or any other way in a monoplane orientation to the Junction. If they were spaced on a given plain, it could be reasonable to expect that MIGHT be in the same plain as the planets etc that were "natural" bodies obiting the star. Ok, it's a binary system so there MIGHT be a component of such a plane relative to both or favoring one star over the other to some extent.

On the other hand, this a point of very special gravity instability which provides a connection between two or more star systems. There is also no statement that the pairs of lanes are in the same plane so they could be scattered over the spherical (probably spherical) edges of the locus of the junction. That could mean that the pairs could be at a number of vectors not on a plane tied to the star(s) it relates to.

Also keep in mind that it appears that you have two options when entering a wormhole. 1 is you deploy your W-sails in a timely manner and "transition" instantly on entering the wormhole to the other end of that pair of lanes or 2) the ship is destroyed and so far nobody has talked about debris of such an event traveling through/across the area encompassed by the wormhole. It might be that if you try to enter or blunder into it one, that the ship gets very thoroughly ripped down to component atoms (or smaller pieces) and God only knows where they go because they don't come out the other side.

Another also would be that Harvest Joy was looking for an additional possible wormhole associated with the junction but nobody quite said where other than suggesting it was looking near the wormhole to see if it could find evidence of where a wormhole associate with the Junction could be. If all possible transit possibilities associated with a given wormhole are in some sort of elliptic for the locus area of the wormhole, then they very much would only be looking in that sort of orientation to the existing multiple transit lanes to seperate termini. That is NOT what was said. What was said (and I didn't go back and look) was that there was a theory that there could be another terminus but no prior effort was successful so the Harvest Joy was out looking for sensor readings that might indicate where another wormhole might be located. If you are looking around a fairly large sphere it's a lot harder than just keep circling said spear in one plane (carefully avoiding the existing transit lanes).

I also sound like light (possibly somewhat disrupted) can pass though the nominal sphere of a wormhole terminus but would energy fire do the same thing? And how close would the target and ship fireing at it need to be to the Junction (or more importantly how far away) not to have problems with the Junction?

So many questions :)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:51 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:The only way I can see for a ship to get there in the first place be to have already slipped through shells of forts. The point of closest approach would have been somewhere while tiptoeing past the forts. So almost be definition any ship hiding there was already able to sneak past the defenders without any assistance from the turbulence of the terminus.

If you can only hide because of turbulence, then you can't reach the turbulence to hide in. If you can hide without it then it's kind of irrelevant whether or not it might help you hide.

That's true, but I don't think that's what cthia was suggesting as a tactic. The suggestion appears to be about sneaking in using stealth, but using the turbulence to hide from missiles once in place. That would make localising and striking the attacking LD much more difficult, if not impossible.

But even if that were possible, another problem with this operation is its exit strategy (or its lack of one). Is it a suicide mission for the LD and crew? If so, how much economic damage do you anticipate for the cost of the LD and possible loss of the proprietary secret of the spider drive and stealth? If not, then just how are they going to escape past the forts on alert and saturating the Junction area with scans?
Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:The only way I can see for a ship to get there in the first place be to have already slipped through shells of forts. The point of closest approach would have been somewhere while tiptoeing past the forts. So almost be definition any ship hiding there was already able to sneak past the defenders without any assistance from the turbulence of the terminus.

If you can only hide because of turbulence, then you can't reach the turbulence to hide in. If you can hide without it then it's kind of irrelevant whether or not it might help you hide.

That's true, but I don't think that's what cthia was suggesting as a tactic. The suggestion appears to be about sneaking in using stealth, but using the turbulence to hide from missiles once in place. That would make localising and striking the attacking LD much more difficult, if not impossible.

But even if that were possible, another problem with this operation is its exit strategy (or its lack of one). Is it a suicide mission for the LD and crew? If so, how much economic damage do you anticipate for the cost of the LD and possible loss of the proprietary secret of the spider drive and stealth? If not, then just how are they going to escape past the forts on alert and saturating the Junction area with scans?

Exactly. I think the misunderstanding is caused by my own use of the word "hiding." Which is why I initially included it in quotation marks. The turbulence zone would become a buffer zone destroying any missiles. The LDs would be effectively using it as a shield. The LDs are already hidden by their own stealth.

Oftentimes a strategy is formulated to draw the other side into an inferior position. And sometimes sacrificing in the exchange for a much bigger prize. This strategy could be used to temporarily shut down the WH. Consider if Honor couldn't have transited in the nick of time at the Battle of Manticore. If an LD achieves it's objective, it is an LD well spent. Surely no one would argue against the MA's willingness to use anyone or anything as a pawn. And, an exit strategy that leaves no tech to be recovered is a vector directly into the turbulence.

"Bonsai!"

Do consider that the MA will be looking to perfect the recipe for "a short victorious war."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:41 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Exactly. I think the misunderstanding is caused by my own use of the word "hiding." Which is why I initially included it in quotation marks. The turbulence zone would become a buffer zone destroying any missiles. The LDs would be effectively using it as a shield. The LDs are already hidden by their own stealth.

Fair enough. But that's still a pretty limited buffer.

I guess we don't know exactly how large the no-impeller zone around the terminus is; though we know the departure/arrival lanes that extend from it are less than 30,000 km in radius (because ships within them can be engaged by laserhead warheads that themselves are outside the turbulence zone).

However it can't be very much larger because we know how long those "narrow" lanes extend from the terminus and that sharply limits how big the central turbulent zone could be. (the Junction lanes are about 90,000 km long between terminus and the end of the lane, while Trevor's Star's are shorter than that, so if the central area was even 90,000 km in radius you wouldn't have a lane at all - and certainly not one you could reach with laserheads).

I'd argue that if there is a central zone, from which the lanes extend, then it would have been mentioned when describing how laserheads can to used to attack transiting ships, unless it wasn't a significant impact (say less than 50,000 km in diameter; so it doesn't provide a safe space where laserheads can't reach)

But even if it's so vast a laserhead can't reach a ship within it, it's not a great place to be. You're still encircled by the concentric shells of defensive forts. And, as far as we know, a ship can only survive in that area by using an active sail. And at that point blank range you can't hide a sail from the sensors of the defenders; so they'll know exactly where you are.

And the defending forts can easily reach any part of that entire zone with their energy mounts, since they could use impellers to get to within 100,000 km (still beyond the end of any transit lane) and reach out not only to the center of the terminus, but another 400,000 km beyond it (effective range against a sidewall protected target).
But it gets worse. Since the forts are beyond the turbulence they can use sidewalls; so beyond 500,000 km from an enemy they're effective immune to its energy weapons, but their mounts are effective against targets that lack sidewalls all the way out to a million km. But conventional sidewalls (which spider ships don't have anyway) can't work within the turbulence zone. So a ship in there is both visible (thanks to needing sails) and poorly defended. (And most likely still vulnerable to laserheads engaging from beyond the no-impeller zone.

And even if the LD does pack a bubble sidewall, which could be used within the zone, that just makes them even more visible. And the very worst case, if the zone is big enough to keep laserheads from reaching it's heart, the defensive forts move in for a convnetional energy range duel with both side protected by sidewalls. That's a fair fight - but one where the spider ship is almost certainly badly outnumbered by the defending forts.

Now it can avoid becoming visible by staying outside the no-impeller zone. But now you've got the problem that you're still surrounded by forts, because multiple concentric shells of defensive forts surround the entire junction area.

So the minority of forts that are directly on the far side of the terminus from you can't direct fire missiles at you. But as I showed above, I think the no-fly zone around the terminus is no more than about 50,000 km in diameter, so even their missiles don't need much of a detour to still engage you. But worse you've got about half the defending forts on the same side of the terminus as you and so they've got clear lines of sight. (And even the ones on the other half of the defensive sphere most of them are far enough off to one side (left, right, up or down) of the direct line through the terminus that it isn't an obstacle.

(Well, if the lanes poke out at random some forts will likely have to detour their missiles around one of more lanes. But we know those lanes are less than 30,000 km in radius; so again it's a small detour)

I still can't help thinking that sneaking into a spot where you're surrounded is a really bad plan; especially if you then plan to alert everybody that they've got an enemy in there. Hang way back and sneak your expendable (and stealthier) graser torps in there. since they self-destruct when fired you don't care if they're surrounded when they engage.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:39 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

I still can't help thinking that sneaking into a spot where you're surrounded is a really bad plan; especially if you then plan to alert everybody that they've got an enemy in there. Hang way back and sneak your expendable (and stealthier) graser torps in there. since they self-destruct when fired you don't care if they're surrounded when they engage.

My mind keep calling this "a plan to sneak into Fort Bragg and hide in the marigolds surrounding the base flag pole."
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:51 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Exactly. I think the misunderstanding is caused by my own use of the word "hiding." Which is why I initially included it in quotation marks. The turbulence zone would become a buffer zone destroying any missiles. The LDs would be effectively using it as a shield. The LDs are already hidden by their own stealth.

I guess we don't know exactly how large the no-impeller zone around the terminus is; though we know the departure/arrival lanes that extend from it are less than 30,000 km in radius (because ships within them can be engaged by laserhead warheads that themselves are outside the turbulence zone).

However it can't be very much larger because we know how long those "narrow" lanes extend from the terminus and that sharply limits how big the central turbulent zone could be. (the Junction lanes are about 90,000 km long between terminus and the end of the lane, while Trevor's Star's are shorter than that, so if the central area was even 90,000 km in radius you wouldn't have a lane at all - and certainly not one you could reach with laserheads).

I'd argue that if there is a central zone, from which the lanes extend, then it would have been mentioned when describing how laserheads can to used to attack transiting ships, unless it wasn't a significant impact (say less than 50,000 km in diameter; so it doesn't provide a safe space where laserheads can't reach)

But even if it's so vast a laserhead can't reach a ship within it, it's not a great place to be. You're still encircled by the concentric shells of defensive forts. And, as far as we know, a ship can only survive in that area by using an active sail. And at that point blank range you can't hide a sail from the sensors of the defenders; so they'll know exactly where you are.

And the defending forts can easily reach any part of that entire zone with their energy mounts, since they could use impellers to get to within 100,000 km (still beyond the end of any transit lane) and reach out not only to the center of the terminus, but another 400,000 km beyond it (effective range against a sidewall protected target).
But it gets worse. Since the forts are beyond the turbulence they can use sidewalls; so beyond 500,000 km from an enemy they're effective immune to its energy weapons, but their mounts are effective against targets that lack sidewalls all the way out to a million km. But conventional sidewalls (which spider ships don't have anyway) can't work within the turbulence zone. So a ship in there is both visible (thanks to needing sails) and poorly defended. (And most likely still vulnerable to laserheads engaging from beyond the no-impeller zone.

And even if the LD does pack a bubble sidewall, which could be used within the zone, that just makes them even more visible. And the very worst case, if the zone is big enough to keep laserheads from reaching it's heart, the defensive forts move in for a convnetional energy range duel with both side protected by sidewalls. That's a fair fight - but one where the spider ship is almost certainly badly outnumbered by the defending forts.

Now it can avoid becoming visible by staying outside the no-impeller zone. But now you've got the problem that you're still surrounded by forts, because multiple concentric shells of defensive forts surround the entire junction area.

So the minority of forts that are directly on the far side of the terminus from you can't direct fire missiles at you. But as I showed above, I think the no-fly zone around the terminus is no more than about 50,000 km in diameter, so even their missiles don't need much of a detour to still engage you. But worse you've got about half the defending forts on the same side of the terminus as you and so they've got clear lines of sight. (And even the ones on the other half of the defensive sphere most of them are far enough off to one side (left, right, up or down) of the direct line through the terminus that it isn't an obstacle.

(Well, if the lanes poke out at random some forts will likely have to detour their missiles around one of more lanes. But we know those lanes are less than 30,000 km in radius; so again it's a small detour)

Let's also not forget that forts are not just firing their own weapons, they control clouds of pre-placed pods, Sensor drones, bomb pumped and laser head mines, and IEWPs (Independent Energy Weapons Platforms) so every fort is not a point source, but a cloud 10s or 100s of thousands of KM across of weapons and sensors in their area of responsibility. Add in the Fleet supporting the junction and 100s of LACs patrolling at any time (several thousand are stationed at the junction), and there are probably close to a million weapons platforms guarding the junction from threats inside and out.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by munroburton   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:

My mind keep calling this "a plan to sneak into Fort Bragg and hide in the marigolds surrounding the base flag pole."

It's more like trying to hide "behind" Saturn from all of Saturn's moons and rings.
Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

That is certainly an interesting twist to it that I had missed. I never envisioned a region safe from energy weapons, but the possibility of it turning out to be the case is quite interesting. Though I'd wager it is not the case. Perhaps a region that further hinders detection even more, and perhaps deflects energy fire enough to rule out accuracy I'd agree. Beyond that is anyone's haphazard guess.

Jonathan_S wrote:But even if it's so vast a laserhead can't reach a ship within it, it's not a great place to be. You're still encircled by the concentric shells of defensive forts. And, as far as we know, a ship can only survive in that area by using an active sail. And at that point blank range you can't hide a sail from the sensors of the defenders; so they'll know exactly where you are.

Not necessarily. I'm considering the actual shape of the "nook or cranny" the LD actually chooses. Consider the shapes of American states on a map. There are states shaped like a gun, a mitten, a heel, a heart, a shoe. Idaho has a boot and several states have panhandles.

Railroads and other forces helped form these shapes, but they are as irregular as Earth's great wonders. If the turbulence zones have neat little nooks and crannies - a handle a boot or a shoe formed by these zones jutting out - where an LD can descend into without being affected by the turbulence, that would be ideal and much more problematic for the GA. The turbulence is probably not a perfect concentric circle, but rather "pockets." These pockets would be even more impossible to target with missiles.

Waiting until it is time to serve that wine, the LD only has to hold out until its objective is achieved. I keep envisioning hours or days long shootouts at fortifications or encampments until the enemy - or criminals - runs out of bullets.

Jonathan_S wrote:And the defending forts can easily reach any part of that entire zone with their energy mounts, since they could use impellers to get to within 100,000 km (still beyond the end of any transit lane) and reach out not only to the center of the terminus, but another 400,000 km beyond it (effective range against a sidewall protected target).

They won't need sails if they are sitting in a "depression" which would also make it all the more impossible to hit with missiles.

I'm also hesitant to accept they can easily be detected by GR drones if embedded within turbulence. Probably so, but it isn't written in stone. And I'd think GR drones would be picked off by the MA. Didn't the MA detect and destroy stealthy GA platforms in the last book? It is not poorly defended if you can't see it, especially with other fires being lit beforehand. Forts may suddenly start exploding or coming under attack giving them their own problems, and surely other LDs which are in the system along with the eggs ALL of the LDs have laid are busy hatching and raising hell. It may turn out to be too late when the RMN discovers they have a fly, err spider in the ointment.

Jonathan_S wrote:And even if the LD does pack a bubble sidewall, which could be used within the zone, that just makes them even more visible. And the very worst case, if the zone is big enough to keep laserheads from reaching it's heart, the defensive forts move in for a convnetional energy range duel with both side protected by sidewalls. That's a fair fight - but one where the spider ship is almost certainly badly outnumbered by the defending forts.

Again, that is certainly an interesting scenario. But the LD will have friends and booby traps it has set, and other items and surprises it brought along to the party. And the small little problem of this party's "Pound Cake" being lit all over the quadrant.

Jonathan_S wrote:Now it can avoid becoming visible by staying outside the no-impeller zone. But now you've got the problem that you're still surrounded by forts, because multiple concentric shells of defensive forts surround the entire junction area.

None of that will matter until the LD is localized. And if the LD is nestled inside some depression protected on all sides by turbulence, missiles are just plain useless, especially not knowing exactly where it is.

Jonathan_S wrote:(Well, if the lanes poke out at random some forts will likely have to detour their missiles around one of more lanes. But we know those lanes are less than 30,000 km in radius; so again it's a small detour)

Eventually the LD may be found. But then it has to be successfully engaged. And all within the allotted time frame the MA's plan needs for it to be successful. I keep thinking about the "detour" missiles have to make trying for an up the kilt shot, which isn't easy even when they can see what they're aiming at.

Jonathan_S wrote:I still can't help thinking that sneaking into a spot where you're surrounded is a really bad plan; especially if you then plan to alert everybody that they've got an enemy in there. Hang way back and sneak your expendable (and stealthier) graser torps in there. since they self-destruct when fired you don't care if they're surrounded when they engage.

I'm sure that tactic can be used in conjunction. The opening phase of a real attack by the LDs will be for all of the marbles, truly a short victorious war. Any small part of the plan only has to hold out "long enough." We all can list exhausting instances of a small fortified force holding out and fending off insurmountable odds for inconceivable amounts of time. War is full of such examples. By the time it is discovered there's a spider in your hair, he has already bitten you, laid eggs and spun web.

Another point. This plan will call for the MA having a full map of the region. I think they already have that, or can easily get their hands on it, with the original survey data. It may come down to the MA being more familiar with the "exact" details of the region than the RMN, other than general data. Think of the movies and TV shows whereby someone had to quickly fetch the schematics of a building and all of the possible hidden crevices, crawlspaces, drain pipes and the like. Some which are no longer on the map. The entire area is probably mapped right down to the last grav wave as far as the entry and exit lanes of the WH. But what about the fine detail that no one expects is even worth noting.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:39 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:That is certainly an interesting twist to it that I had missed. I never envisioned a region safe from energy weapons, but the possibility of it turning out to be the case is quite interesting. Though I'd wager it is not the case. Perhaps a region that further hinders detection even more, and perhaps deflects energy fire enough to rule out accuracy I'd agree. Beyond that is anyone's haphazard guess.

We do know that energy engagements in grav waves are possible, but missile engagements are not because missiles do not have sails. And you can't survive the shear zone and the wormhole transit without a sail because the wormhole is a grav event. So put the two together and you have the conclusion that the grav shear of the wormhole transit lanes does not sufficiently hinder energy weapons.

Not necessarily. I'm considering the actual shape of the "nook or cranny" the LD actually chooses. Consider the shapes of American states on a map. There are states shaped like a gun, a mitten, a heel, a heart, a shoe. Idaho has a boot and several states have panhandles.

Railroads and other forces helped form these shapes, but they are as irregular as Earth's great wonders. If the turbulence zones have neat little nooks and crannies - a handle a boot or a shoe formed by these zones jutting out - where an LD can descend into without being affected by the turbulence, that would be ideal and much more problematic for the GA. The turbulence is probably not a perfect concentric circle, but rather "pockets." These pockets would be even more impossible to target with missiles.

We do know LDs have sails, but it can't be using one to reach this position. The sail is a 200-km wide gravity event, so it's extremely brilliant. And it can be detected with FTL.

Since the LD didn't use its sails to reach this position, it stands to reason that the missiles can also reach this position using just their wedges. And between the RMN and the MAN, one of them has better maps of the Junction nooks and crannies. You can make your guess which one. Hint: it's not the MAN.

So this and the above lead to the single conclusion that if the RMN can locate a target, they can hit it. It doesn't matter if that is because of nooks and crannies, a negative transit lanes or what have you. I don't think there can be any further discussion on this point.

The only way the LD can survive there is stealth. And that means it can't fire its weapon mounts, be it for offence or defence.

Waiting until it is time to serve that wine, the LD only has to hold out until its objective is achieved. I keep envisioning hours or days long shootouts at fortifications or encampments until the enemy - or criminals - runs out of bullets.

That may be so, but I think it's the opposite of what you're thinking. The forts have way more ammunition than any LD could conceivably carry, even if it has a resupply freighter waiting in hyper and is able to sneak in and out.

They won't need sails if they are sitting in a "depression" which would also make it all the more impossible to hit with missiles.

As above: that's simply not a valid conclusion. If the LD can get to where it is, so can the missiles.

And it doesn't matter if the missiles need to go real slowly to navigate the passage. And if missiles are limited by capacitor charge endurance, Ghost Riders aren't. You can send the GRs on a collision course. That will make a big boom.

Or, you know, LACs. With those BC-sized graser spinal mounts. Again, the LD can't shoot at them lest it reveal its position (see below).

I'm also hesitant to accept they can easily be detected by GR drones if embedded within turbulence. Probably so, but it isn't written in stone. And I'd think GR drones would be picked off by the MA. Didn't the MA detect and destroy stealthy GA platforms in the last book? It is not poorly defended if you can't see it, especially with other fires being lit beforehand. Forts may suddenly start exploding or coming under attack giving them their own problems, and surely other LDs which are in the system along with the eggs ALL of the LDs have laid are busy hatching and raising hell. It may turn out to be too late when the RMN discovers they have a fly, err spider in the ointment.

Shooting at the GRs or LACs or missiles reveals your position. There are two dozen forts within a 1.5-light-second radius. In the three seconds it takes for the light of the PDLCs to reach the fort sensors and the graser beam to arrive back, the LD can't move more than 3.6 km, which maybe one full length. And this is assuming the worst case scenario: all forts are 1.5 light-seconds away and have no FTL drones closer by. The scenario the MAN needs to plan for is that there is a fort that can deliver a graser beam to the source of the shot in under half a second -- a 612-meter max displacement.

Add to that that each fort has a easily dozen graser mounts and there will be at least a dozen of them in range. That means a full gross (144) of graser beams bracketing your position. And this is assuming there aren't LACs even closer by.

That means the LD can't use its weapon mounts.
Jonathan_S wrote:And even if the LD does pack a bubble sidewall, which could be used within the zone, that just makes them even more visible. And the very worst case, if the zone is big enough to keep laserheads from reaching it's heart, the defensive forts move in for a convnetional energy range duel with both side protected by sidewalls. That's a fair fight - but one where the spider ship is almost certainly badly outnumbered by the defending forts.

Eh, no. The LD is outgunned by a single fort. Two dozen on one is not a fair fight.

The LD's redeeming quality is to have deployed its full payload of graser torpedoes to target such forts. But it should have done that before the stand-by forts raise their bubblewalls. That won't work on the action-ready ones, though.

Again, that is certainly an interesting scenario. But the LD will have friends and booby traps it has set, and other items and surprises it brought along to the party. And the small little problem of this party's "Pound Cake" being lit all over the quadrant.

That might be true, but not in the strategy you describe. If the LD or LDs are going to engage the forts, then their main operational goal is engaging the forts and defending military ships, not commerce-raiding the ships transiting the Junction, of which there's only one per minute per terminus. That calls for a different plan, one that does not put the LD inside the energy range of the forts it's engaging.

If the MAN brings 4 squadrons of LDs and deploys Silver Bullets to take out the non-action-ready forts before they bring up their sidewalls and placing weapon platforms near the transit lanes from Trevor's Star and Basilisk, it might be an interesting battle. The forts may even lose. We'd then move to a discussion on whether the LD squadrons can hold the Junction against Home Fleet, arriving in 45-90 minutes, depending on where it's sitting inside the Manticore-A hyperlimit (answer: they can't).

But again, this is not the assault you're describing. The attack on commerce is secondary. The moment something happens, the ships in the transit queue that do transit will advise the other termini not to send any ships until All Clear is received (authenticated by RMN and ACS, so the MAN can't fake it). Any ship outside the Junction's hyperlimit transits away, while those inside of it will scatter. If the MAN has weapons to spare, it can target the fixed infrastructure in the Junction zone. So it can create a lot of economic damage to Manticore and cause it considerable loss of prestige.

But disrupting the Junction means attacking everyone's economic interest. Even the RF will feel some of that.

Eventually the LD may be found. But then it has to be successfully engaged. And all within the allotted time frame the MA's plan needs for it to be successful. I keep thinking about the "detour" missiles have to make trying for an up the kilt shot, which isn't easy even when they can see what they're aiming at.

And what is that allotted time? There's one transit per minute per terminus, so 6 targets of opportunity per minute, until that dries up by the messages carried by ships that transited or by the other sides realising that incoming transit has stopped. So if I'm generous, I give it 10 minutes, meaning the LD can take out 60 incoming ships (assuming all termini are sending at max transit rate) and maybe another dozen that were outgoing and in range.

Meanwhile, every time it fires, the targetting solutions from the defending ships get much better. Every minute that passes, the forts, LACs and other defending ships get closer so they get a more probable energy weapon shot.

And what is its exit strategy? Even if all that which you supposed is true, it has to get out of that disturbed region of space, at which point the defenders will be waiting for it. 10 minutes is enough to surround the region of space with missiles, enough to bring the probability of a hit to near certainty (a 3-stage missile can use one stage to accelerate close by and the second stage to decelerate to zero-zero, leaving the third stage to power the warhead). The defenders need only to get lucky a single time, since a missile beam striking will compromise the LD's stealth. The LD needs to get lucky every time, against a conservative estimate of 50 missiles per fort every 20 seconds (150 per minute), for a total of 3600 missiles per minute, for 8 minutes. That's 28800 missiles ready to fire at point blank range.

The LD stealth can be as good as you want it to be. It cannot hide the ship from even a myopic missile sensor at less than 1000 km range.

I'm sure that tactic can be used in conjunction. The opening phase of a real attack by the LDs will be for all of the marbles, truly a short victorious war. Any small part of the plan only has to hold out "long enough." We all can list exhausting instances of a small fortified force holding out and fending off insurmountable odds for inconceivable amounts of time. War is full of such examples. By the time it is discovered there's a spider in your hair, he has already bitten you, laid eggs and spun web.

Then please lay out that strategy, as I did above by engaging the forts first, not the commerce.

And if you want an SVW, what's the strategy for dealing with Home Fleet?

Another point. This plan will call for the MA having a full map of the region. I think they already have that, or can easily get their hands on it, with the original survey data. It may come down to the MA being more familiar with the "exact" details of the region than the RMN, other than general data. Think of the movies and TV shows whereby someone had to quickly fetch the schematics of a building and all of the possible hidden crevices, crawlspaces, drain pipes and the like. Some which are no longer on the map. The entire area is probably mapped right down to the last grav wave as far as the entry and exit lanes of the WH. But what about the fine detail that no one expects is even worth noting.

Sure, the region around the Junction is the single most detailed light-second radius of space in the Known Galaxy. Everyone has maps for it.

But who has the best ones and most up to date, the RMN or the MAN?
Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Very nice post! And I do appreciate the effort!

However, Houston, we have a problem... Communication is breaking up. The problem is probably on my end, but by the time we trace it, the battle may be over . . .

None of that matters if the LD has achieved its objective!

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Then please lay out that strategy, as I did above by engaging the forts first, not the commerce.

Absolutely! Recall my "We shall serve no wine before it's time?" That may have been a bit too cryptic, but "not until the forts begin to explode and fires begin all over the quadrant" should have been clearer.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:And if you want an SVW, what's the strategy for dealing with Home Fleet?

Again. I wouldn't pull the trigger on this plan until the very last minute, or until needed. I would simply let the Spider sit in its perfect little nest until its intended victims transit. By the time the cavalry starts arriving from Trevor's Star and beyond, that means the shit has already hit the fan and the cavalry is needed quickly, like Eighth Fleet.

If the single LD can delay or destroy arriving reinforcements - especially if an attack on Trevor's Star pulls Eighth Fleet out of position - then a single LD riding the back of the WH like a bucking bull just long enough to delay or destroy reinforcements, may be long enough. It will take time to localize the LD then engage it. The GA could elect to waste enormous amounts of missiles if it likes. I'm sure the MA will love that. And energy fire may be a no no for certain forts, if WH infrastructure is in its line of fire. I can't imagine that energy fire is accustomed to being blind fired in the direction of their own infrastructure hoping to hit an invisible Spider in a nest.

At any rate, this is a trap that will be sprung by Eighth Fleet! It is essentially Tourville waiting in hyper for Eighth Fleet to transit springing the trap. It will be different this time because the LD can sit forever. After the LDs objective is accomplished, it won't matter if it is destroyed.

This is an Eighth Fleet killer! Now, Eighth Fleet may never leave the system since it is now Home Fleet. But if it can be pulled out of position with a massive attack on Trevor's Star then the door can be shut behind them.

Roaches check out, but they can't check back in lest destroyed. Or, 8th Fleet can be destroyed while attempting to transit.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Sure, the region around the Junction is the single most detailed light-second radius of space in the Known Galaxy. Everyone has maps for it.

But who has the best ones and most up to date, the RMN or the MAN?

I agree there. The owners will always have the most detailed maps of their own real estate. Most of the time. But will those maps or the people who have knowledge of the minute details be on hand? And will it be fresh in their mind, or will they need time to refresh their memory. Time.

BTW, a Spider could be lurking in nests in several junctions, including Trevor's Star. Destroying any arriving or transiting fleet.

Return to Honorverse