Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Joat42 and 17 guests

What's the Point of Raoul?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What's the Point of Raoul?
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Raoul is the product of an Alpha. Even though a child inherits the DNA of the father, I doubt Hamish dumbed him down too much. And Raoul can receive Academy training while in HS and even graduate Saganami early? Providence can do the rest. That Demon Murphy can put him in command. Murphy don't care how old you are. LOL

That's a baseless argument. The two direct ascendants Raoul has in that Alpha line (Honor and Alfred) do not seem to have extraordinary intelligence. Honor had trouble with maths, remember?

They're very good in their own domains and Honor is definitely the best tactician & strategist of her generation, but she didn't graduate early for anything.

:o :o :o

Graduating early is not a prerequisite nor precursor for intelligence. Neither is doing well on tests. I've championed this argument for Honor before. She did NOT have trouble with math. She had trouble with math on formal tests. Actually, Honor was somewhat a natural with math, as long as she didn't think about it. She could essentially do it in her head in a pinch.

At any rate, if being the best strategist and tactician of her time doesn't indicate a very high intelligence, I don't know what does.

Honor didn't graduate early, but Honor didn't have anyone as a role model but Alfred who himself wasn't on the same career track. Plus Honor and her family had to contend with keeping her genie status under wraps, so graduating early wouldn't have been recommended. Plus, Honor may have held Honor back. Did she even know what she wanted to be when she grew up? She may have been content living inside Nimitz' world, plus preoccupied with her "ugliness."

At any rate, there is no way she and Alfred both are not intellectual giants. No way whatsoever.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:17 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:At any rate, there is no way she and Alfred both are not intellectual giants. No way whatsoever.

You're right that they have very good intelligence in certain aspects. But to go from there to saying that Raoul and Katherine will graduate early so that they are Lt. Cmdrs by the age of 25 is quite a leap. In fact, being who they are, it's quite likely they won't do that.

I did mention Katherine for a reason too: for the original plan to work, we need both children to develop fast enough. Even if your argument is right that Raoul will be very intellectually gifted, it doesn't apply to Katherine since she doesn't have Harrington genes. Therefore, even if the lightning strikes once, it won't twice.

No, I think we can assume that Raoul and Katherine will be no more than spectators for the rest of the books. They may figure on a collaboration with some other author that attempts to explore the Human-treecat relationships and the future of the HV, set after the conflict with the Alignment. This is what I predict.
Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:45 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--
ThinksMarkedly wrote:That's a baseless argument. The two direct ascendants Raoul has in that Alpha line (Honor and Alfred) do not seem to have extraordinary intelligence. Honor had trouble with maths, remember?

They're very good in their own domains and Honor is definitely the best tactician & strategist of her generation, but she didn't graduate early for anything.

--ummm, yes, she didn't graduate early. But she was identified effectively on arrival as somewhat a "whiz kid", because of the infrequency of someone with "yeoman origins" being among the elite student rather quickly. That tag followed her... but primarily because she also lived up to the RMN's honor code.

That said, there's a big "ummm no..." to be mentioned. In Ashes of Victory, Allison is trying to explain to Honor why she thinks so many Harrington's were adopted by treecat over the years, and she says,
... So far, I've found only three Harringtons who placed below the ninety-fifth percentile in general intelligence, and well over eighty-five percent of those I've been able to check placed in the ninety-nine-plus percentile. You tend to be very smart people, and if I hadn't wound up in the same select company according to my own test scores, I'd probably come all over inferior feeling or something of the sort."

...meaning... in our old fuddy-duddy, pre-diaspora terms... Only 3 of all the Harringtons researched had IQs lower than around 125. 85% of the rest? 140+. Which buys a person nothing if it is not backed up by hard work and mental discipline, which in this plotline, the Harringtons have in abundance. And since Allison gives herself an equal rating from her meritocratic homeworld, we can assume she's a 99th percentiler herself. Plus a wicked sense of humor, what's not to like?

What I can tell you real-world wise, is that the truly gifted AND insighted folks who have put the work in within their chose areas of expertise make connections between factoids, etc. very very quickly. Meaning that HH is not a Mary Sue in this series.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all

Return to Honorverse