Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Pulsar Ballistics

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Pulsar Ballistics
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:10 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The most common personal small arm employed in the Honorverse is the Pulsar. Weber gives the impression that this is a gravity driven projectile weapon with very high velocity. I'll comment on this later, but what are everyone's thoughts on probable calibers, projectile masses and velocities?

Given the fact that the velocities of modern projectile weapons are about 1 kilometer per second and the speed of sound in most human tissues is 1,500 meters per second, what would be different about the effects of projectiles at 2-4 kilometres per second?
Re: Pulsar Ballistics
Post by tlb   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:28 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The most common personal small arm employed in the Honorverse is the Pulsar. Weber gives the impression that this is a gravity driven projectile weapon with very high velocity. I'll comment on this later, but what are everyone's thoughts on probable calibers, projectile masses and velocities?

Given the fact that the velocities of modern projectile weapons are about 1 kilometer per second and the speed of sound in most human tissues is 1,500 meters per second, what would be different about the effects of projectiles at 2-4 kilometres per second?

House of Steel gives the Marine grav pulse rifle as 4x37mm (which I take as being the diameter and length of the projectile) and I assume this is a Spitzer point with a boat-tail shape. The speed of even the pistol is stated to be hyper-velocity, so somewhere over 3000 meters per second (about 9 times the speed of sound). This reminds me most of the anti-tank penetrator of the sabot round.

I recall that Maxxq commented at one time about the tri-barrel and maybe more; so I will see of I can dredge that up.

Here is the thread I remembered:
Heavy Tri-barrels

I expect that the size of the pistol round might be more like 2x16mm with less velocity because of the smaller impeller size.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:58 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:House of Steel gives the Marine grav pulse rifle as 4x37mm (which I take as being the diameter and length of the projectile) and I assume this is a Spitzer point with a boat-tail shape. The speed of even the pistol is stated to be hyper-velocity, so somewhere over 3000 meters per second (about 9 times the speed of sound). This reminds me most of the anti-tank penetrator of the sabot round.

I recall that Maxxq commented at one time about the tri-barrel and maybe more; so I will see of I can dredge that up.

Here is the thread I remembered:
Heavy Tri-barrels

I expect that the size of the pistol round might be more like 2x16mm with less velocity because of the smaller impeller size.

Jayne's has the following on the M7 hand pulser:

M7 Pulser
The M7 Pulse Pistol is the Navy designation for the civilian MT P339 pulse pistol, supplied under contract. Both the 12-coil and 9-coil versions are issued, the 9-coil version designated as the M9. The darts (3x24mm) are loaded into a 78-round, three column
magazine, flanked on either side by power cells. The feed system pushes each dart in-line with the barrel, allowing the feed coil to strip it off and propel it forward into the coil system. There is no barrel per-se, as any object between the grav coils and the dart would be subject to the same gravitational forces as the dart itself. The coils themselves impart a spin on the dart as it travels down the barrel.

Unlike some systems with a variable-state capacitor system, the M7 uses a separate capacitor for each grav coil. The added complexity of the system increases cycle times slightly, but does allow for variable barrel length models with a minimum of re-engineering. As soon as the dart trips the timing circuit forward of the coil, the power cell begins to recharge the capacitor for that cell. The thumb selector has standard settings for safe, semi-automatic and three round burst.

The back half of the frame consists of the power system. The M7 uses a non-removable power cell combined with cells in the magazines themselves. Between the two systems the weapon has enough power for just under 200 rounds of fire, as each subsystem serves as a backup for the other. Under the power cell is the slide, which can be pulled back to manually check the chamber and physically disconnect the power cell from the grav coil system, thus rendering the weapon intrinsically safe. On the left side of the frame, just forward of the fire selector is the magazine readout, also a variable light display system, accurate to approximately 5 rounds. Below that is the thumb button magazine release.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by tlb   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:17 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Good; bigger than I guessed, but still military issue and so probably on the higher end of the civilian market. Unlike the gun that Cachet wanted in chatper 40 of Torch of Freedom:
"What's he want?"
"A Kettridge Model A-3."
That was an awfully small gun. Easy to hide and deadly enough, if you were a good shot. But most people wanted something quite a bit more powerful, especially mercs.
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:20 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The most common personal small arm employed in the Honorverse is the Pulsar. Weber gives the impression that this is a gravity driven projectile weapon with very high velocity. I'll comment on this later, but what are everyone's thoughts on probable calibers, projectile masses and velocities?

That's one hell of a big gun, makes the BFG in Doom look like a toy :mrgreen: :D

Sorry couldn't help it :lol:
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

The projectiles will be a lot more damaging because they're supersonic. Note, however, that the small size will mean it will slow down rapidly.
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Shameless advertisement. :D

The Blue Book

Back to your scheduled programming.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Daryl   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:06 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

The interesting point for me is that having a rapid firing hand gun with similar muzzle energy to a 50 cal, would indicate yet some more tricky Honorverse physics to handle the recoil. A heavy semi auto Barret is a shoulder buster, how would you control a light pistol?
Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:The interesting point for me is that having a rapid firing hand gun with similar muzzle energy to a 50 cal, would indicate yet some more tricky Honorverse physics to handle the recoil. A heavy semi auto Barret is a shoulder buster, how would you control a light pistol?

I don't think that would be tricky physics at all. Just physics.

It is called a fuzzler. Here in the Sol system we have silencers which we can install on our weapons. Some tongues refer to it as a muzzler.

To deal with the incessant kick of a gun in the Honorverse, an equal and opposite force is sent along the outside of the gun, thus cancelling each other out. A force muzzler. Hence, fuzzler. The opposite force hits a plate which disperses the energy. It is an ingenious mechanism perfectly "synchronizing" Newton's third law.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:16 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:The interesting point for me is that having a rapid firing hand gun with similar muzzle energy to a 50 cal, would indicate yet some more tricky Honorverse physics to handle the recoil. A heavy semi auto Barret is a shoulder buster, how would you control a light pistol?

cthia wrote:I don't think that would be tricky physics at all. Just physics.

It is called a fuzzler. Here in the Sol system we have silencers which we can install on our weapons. Some tongues refer to it as a muzzler.

To deal with the incessant kick of a gun in the Honorverse, an equal and opposite force is sent along the outside of the gun, thus cancelling each other out. A force muzzler. Hence, fuzzler. The opposite force hits a plate which disperses the energy. It is an ingenious mechanism perfectly "synchronizing" Newton's third law.

If it hits a plate to stop, then all that momentum of stopping is transmitted to the shooter. The way to avoid that is to stop the counterweight slowly, so the momentum transfer occurs over a longer, more manageable level; eliminating the peak by spreading it. However, we do have things in the Honorverse that violate Newton's Laws, the most well known is the compensator (that somehow catches momentum changes and discharges them into a wedge or grav wave). Another is the mass driver that is used in missile pod, since if it behaved in a Newtonian way it would be moving backwards faster than the velocity it could impart to that last missile.

PS. It is called a "silencer" because that is what Maxim called his invention (the son of the machine gun inventor). He developed it as a result of developing the auto muffler. It does not completely silence a gunshot, but it does suppress the sound by eliminating some and spreading the rest of the muzzle blast. So a word that is preferred in some circles is "suppressor".

Return to Honorverse