Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests

Abigale Hearns

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Abigale Hearns
Post by valentitp   » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:32 am

valentitp
Midshipman

Just wondering and hoping we haven't seen the last of her. Comments?
Re: Abigale Hearns
Post by Theemile   » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:19 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

valentitp wrote:Just wondering and hoping we haven't seen the last of her. Comments?

I would think the better question is why would you NO include her as a major character in future stories? Assuming any of the future written stories are set beyond the attack on Sol in the Honorverse Timeline, Honor is no longer a major character - and hasn't truly been for the last 6 or so books.

Abigale, has been one of the major PoV characters of the last 6 or so books, is not involved with Indiana Graham, who will be hunting with Harahap to find the MAlign.

While I have not heard him say so - Abigale is as close to a replacement as the series focus character, as we have. Helen is a close 2nd. Henke, Gwen, Terekhov, etc are all tertiary characters to Abigale and Helen.

So yes, I see Abigale as a major character post 1923pd Honorverse.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by drothgery   » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:42 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
valentitp wrote:Just wondering and hoping we haven't seen the last of her. Comments?

I would think the better question is why would you NO include her as a major character in future stories?

She's in kind of an odd spot to be a major character rather than a side character right now; she's neither a fresh-out-of-the-Academy newbie nor all that close to an independent command. It's kind of hard to make a TO or an XO or a junior staff officer the main character of a story.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:55 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:She's in kind of an odd spot to be a major character rather than a side character right now; she's neither a fresh-out-of-the-Academy newbie nor all that close to an independent command. It's kind of hard to make a TO or an XO or a junior staff officer the main character of a story.

First, valentitp, welcome to the forum! Grab an Old Tilman or hot chocolate mug and make yourself comfortable (coffee is for barbarians).

Second, I think we should be seeing Abigail as a Lt. Cmdr. in the next book, as the Tactical Officer aboard a DD or CL. Depending on how far the book progresses, she might end it as XO.

It also depends on whether the story progresses with her "off screen." We know the first book in the post-1923PD world will be the fourth Crown of Slaves. She might make a cameo (because of Indiana), but the central characters there are the Dynamic Duo plus Harahap. So we may catch up with her only some time in 1925.

An interesting question is when she'll be back in the GSN. Not that we couldn't have a full book on that, quod vide Flag in Exile.
Post by jtg452   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:28 am

jtg452
Captain of the List

It depends on whether or not RFC follows his original idea of doing a jump forward in time for the next arc or not.

The original plan had Raoul and his generation taking down the MA.

If there's a jump or 20-25 or more years involved, I can see how an Admiral Hearns could easily be involved.

Based on her bona fides with the RMN and being a Harrington protege (the first marks her as a real pro, the second marks her as special), I can see even the most traditional GSN male officer having a pause before doubting her abilities. And then, there's Mateo looming over her shoulder.
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Personally, I'm looking forward to Abigail ending up in a Grayson uniform. And since there has already been two attacks on Grayson, it seems they need her. You all know I'm a softie for strong female characters. It seems fitting, in the seemingly female dominated Honorverse, that Grayson's MVP becomes a female, who is also a Steadholder's daughter. How's that for upsetting Grayson's male dominated society's status quo?

Besides, I think RFC has done a fine job of setting the stage for kick-ass peripheral characters, if Megan Petersen is any omen. Also, Michelle Henke still has some time to get more of her name up in lights.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by jtg452   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:05 am

jtg452
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Personally, I'm looking forward to Abigail ending up in a Grayson uniform. And since there has already been two attacks on Grayson, it seems they need her. You all know I'm a softie for strong female characters. It seems fitting, in the seemingly female dominated Honorverse, that Grayson's MVP becomes a female, who is also a Steadholder's daughter. How's that for upsetting Grayson's male dominated society's status quo?

Besides, I think RFC has done a fine job of setting the stage for kick-ass peripheral characters, if Megan Petersen is any omen. Also, Michelle Henke still has some time to get more of her name up in lights.

Abigail also has the Salamander Seal of Approval. That gets more traction in the GSN than being a mere Steadholder's daughter.

Having a San Martino former Manty Marine NCO (Graysons have interacted with the RMN and their Marines to know what that means, too) to take care of her light work won't hurt either. Face it, nobody in the Honorverse does 'silent menace' quite like a San Martino throwing a glare or just a dead eye stare.

I can see Mike being Home Fleet commander or in the Admiralty (if not one of the Lords of the Admiralty) by the time the time jump is done.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:57 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

jtg452 wrote:
cthia wrote:Personally, I'm looking forward to Abigail ending up in a Grayson uniform. And since there has already been two attacks on Grayson, it seems they need her. You all know I'm a softie for strong female characters. It seems fitting, in the seemingly female dominated Honorverse, that Grayson's MVP becomes a female, who is also a Steadholder's daughter. How's that for upsetting Grayson's male dominated society's status quo?

Abigail also has the Salamander Seal of Approval. That gets more traction in the GSN than being a mere Steadholder's daughter.

Having a San Martino former Manty Marine NCO (Graysons have interacted with the RMN and their Marines to know what that means, too) to take care of her light work won't hurt either. Face it, nobody in the Honorverse does 'silent menace' quite like a San Martino throwing a glare or just a dead eye stare.

I can see Mike being Home Fleet commander or in the Admiralty (if not one of the Lords of the Admiralty) by the time the time jump is done.

Also, for a Grayson Female, Abigale is used to giving orders and having people do her bidding. It's been noted several times that her natural Steadholder's daughter persona when dealing with ratings - she naturally assumed a leadership role and gave commands in a tone which conveyed that they should be conveyed without her actually thinking about it. That's something that another Grayson woman woman would have to learn, but something Grayson men are learning to obey from the Manticorian loaners/Emigres.

Any one having any misgivings just needs to see her in action once. Or listen to Mateo tell the story of how she survived against hundreds of pirates while many of his marines... didn't.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:07 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

jtg452 wrote:

Well, knowing human nature and the Newsies, someone is bound to label Abigail, if not one of Honor's actual offsprings, 'Baby Sally.'

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:27 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

jtg452 wrote:It depends on whether or not RFC follows his original idea of doing a jump forward in time for the next arc or not.

The original plan had Raoul and his generation taking down the MA.

Unless he changes his mind again, that plan is scrapped. He's already dropped enough hints and a few concrete details indicating so.

That doesn't mean we'll have shorter time jumps, like the 3 years between OBS and HotQ.

Return to Honorverse