Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 41 guests

Expansion of the Empire: where to?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Expansion of the Empire: where to?
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Seems I have time to get this question in. What rights do newly acquired citizens have as far as relocating to Manticore or any other allied nation within the Alliance? I don't think Grayson would be too fond of too many heathens crossing it's borders just for the hell of it. Pun intended.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Expansion of the Empire: where to?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:34 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Seems I have time to get this question in. What rights do newly acquired citizens have as far as relocating to Manticore or any other allied nation within the Alliance? I don't think Grayson would be too fond of too many heathens crossing it's borders just for the hell of it. Pun intended.

Allied nations it'd depend on their specific agreements.
After all the US and UK are allied but that doesn't mean either's citizen can automatically live and work in the other. But the EU does have such rules as part of joining that union. So there are levels of alliance - but I get the impression that the Manticoran Alliance is more NATO and less EU - so I wouldn't expect it to include unrestricted travel/residency/work rights.

And as far as I know Grayson doesn't have open borders with Manticore so any SEM citizen would need to follow the same procedures if they wanted residency there. (Or even to visit there; don't know what customs and immigration rules might apply for tourists to Grayson)

Now if Manticore and Haven go through with their shared/reciprocal citizenship thing then that'd be like the EU but more-so and there wouldn't seem to be anything restricting citizens from living or working in either. (Though from a practical mechanics standpoint it'd work better if they retained their citizenship - unless specifically naturalizing to the other country - but had EU like rights to travel/live/work in either)

We also don't know if the newly added SEM citizen have any kind of probationary level applied to to their citizenship. But presumably Manticore doesn't want to be mobbed by lots of new citizen arriving in the Manticoran Binary System with no way to support themselves. So I guess it's not impossible that they'll have or erect some kind of residency requirement where you need to show evidence of an employment offer or adequate savings to become a resident. Or they may wait and see if it becomes an issue and not make the new SEM-only citizen somehow officially 2nd class to the old-SKM citizens.

Return to Honorverse