Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Joat42, Theemile and 66 guests

EXTRY! EXTRY! THE SLN CONQUERS THE MBS!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! THE SLN CONQUERS THE MBS!
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:20 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:Many users are assuming that the 1903 Manticore would fight the League.

I don't think they would. If some RMN commander responded to a New Tuscany-style incident the same way Michelle Henke did, that officer would be disavowed and handed over to the League, along with a big fat stack of reparations.

That disables the League constitution's self-defense provisions. Now, to generate a conquest of Manticore, our Mandarins need an unanimous vote by all League members to declare war.

I completely disagree. Two reasons.

First, that couldn't happen. At this point, the RMN has Redoubtabes and Reliants for Battlecruisers, which though much superior to the Indefatigables that the FF would be fielding, are not superior enough to do to them what Henke did to Byng. No BatCruRon CO could at this point in time go in with similarly-numbered forces and take out exactly one enemy. Such a fight would be much messier, which is why it wouldn't take place.

If it did in this format, then yes, the RMN may disavow.

Second, a sane RMN flag officer would come with something bigger, like a division or squadron of DNs, to investigate what happened. Against a wall, the Solarian BatCruRun would indeed lose. But more importantly, in this scenario, the RMN would not disavow. The CO in a DN division or squadron is a Rear Admiral or Vice Admiral, respectively, who would be likely very much in communication with the Admiralty. And that's led by Sir James Bowie Webster and he's not likely to disavow for political reasons.

And I don't see the Government or the Queen paying reparations for what wasn't their fault either.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:58 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Your still "out of the blue".

From 1903 but before the baloon goes up in in the Haven-Manticore War.

What reason does the SL have to push it's way into Manticore other than somebody wants the Junction and all those fees plus control of the various termini......and if SL is going to take Manticore it's going to want full control of any termini that Manticore didn't have full control of before they invaded.

So it's greed on somebody's part or an internal political move in the SL bureaucracies.

Beowulf has an owership share by treaty for the Sigma Draconis terminus. They have excellent realtions with Manticore at so many levels from mutual defence (at least of the SD terminus) plus trade agreements and all sorts of inter-related families.

There has been the 50 year buildup of tension and an arms race beetween Haven and Manticore.
Haven on one side (they have NO allies in this- just people who will sell them information, equipmente and arms- because they have eaten EVRYBODY around them and sucked them down into the same economic hole the created for themselves and their original Republic of systems.

Manticore on the other side who DOES have allies. Beowulf (even it might be very specific and related at the moment on the SD terminus- we don't know but we do know they do a lot of training together) and they have several single system polities who are both trading partners and worried about the ravinous bear (PRH) that has been engulfing systems by gile or straight attack for decades for one reason- strip their economies.

Manticore does have that massive merchant marine in addition to the Junction. For all the people we are told hate Manties because of their attitude, there is envy and jealousy over sucesss and unless there is some compelling reason for SL member worlds to not use Manticoran flagged merchant shipping, there seems to be good economic reasons for them to use them. Remember that if MMM ships didn't deliver at least one compelling compeditve advantage, nobody would use the that didn't have to. They would also find that someone would show up as a competitor to take business away from them. Manticore is NOT strongarming customers to either stay with MMM ships or change to MMM ships from anybody elses. They are represented in the books as good at what they are doing- moving freight on an interstellar basis and do it in a cost effective manner.

That there are SLN people who are unhappy with RMN or MMM individuals or organizations is consistantly portrayed as by comming from people who tried to bully or extort MMM ships/captains and got called on it. Legaly- in courts in the SL and whatever local non-SL system things might have occured and LOST- and had to face the consequences and at least the loss of face for having gotten caught doing something wrong. Perhaps not wrong in the twisted "everybody does it" sense of SLN or the SL bureaucracies or Transtellars, but wrong under the appicable laws in force where things happened.

So, loss of face is a bit thin to just show up one day with twice the number of SD the RMN has for the Home Fleet and either demand surrender of the system or come in in an attack a then- even if you bother to call for surrender and it's refused- shoot up the fleet and anything else that gets in the way and ....compell the surrender of Manticore. In 1903 the SLN (and it's going to have to be Battle Fleet with probably FF as supporting ships below the wall) the SLN is going to find that expensive.

We are are told that apparently the SL has not been paying any real attention or has any sigificant concersn about what Haven has been up to for 50 years. NONE, nada, nothing. No embargoes (and stop the flow of money into the SL, really?) No protests, no diplomatic notes, no word of SLN being sent to "visit" and observe anything. Just one neobarb "Republic" expanding and not something to concern anybody in the League.

If the they were paying attention- and I'm sure they could have at least have started by asking Beowulf what Haven was playing at in the last 50 years- they might have gotten an idea that Haven was expanding the way OFS was expanding the frontiers of the SL and one of the primier targets of that was going to be Manticore and that juicy cash cow of a Junction . But Manticore isn't on the SL frontier. It's a partner with Beowulf. There is a lot of space between SL and Manticore excpet that wormhole.

Funny thing, Manticore isn't and hasn't asked the SL or SLN for anything. Well adherence to it's (the SL's) own laws, but not any kind of defence treaty nor requeset for some show of presence to deflect PRH's covetous looking in thier direction. OFS ins't being invited in. Very specificaly OFS isn't being invited in. Manticore wan't nothing to do with the SL as far as litting it get involved with Manticore excpet to contine normal interstellar trade relations. And the SL has no good or fig leaf reason to object to that.

So, what's the reason SLN shows up and hammers Manticore into submission? All sudden like?
Do you really think that OFS and the Mandarins (who apparently have not been concerned for 50 years) are going to be able to convince themselves that the Solly public and all those independent systems who have trading agreements and other relations with SL member systems and pay all those fees that come into play dealing with a SL member or protectorate system that invading and subjugating Manticore was done for Manticore's protection or to "help" it overcome a catastrophe?

Manticore doesnt' ask for the League's help when it is attacked by PRH.

And just what do you think is going to happen if the SLN does show up in force (that fleet of SDs 2x the number of RMN Home Fleet and says----wer'e from someone elces government and wer's here to save you---all it will cost you is your system and that Junction.

Not a chance in hell.

Pick another topic.
Post by munroburton   » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:36 pm

munroburton
Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
munroburton wrote:Many users are assuming that the 1903 Manticore would fight the League.

I don't think they would. If some RMN commander responded to a New Tuscany-style incident the same way Michelle Henke did, that officer would be disavowed and handed over to the League, along with a big fat stack of reparations.

That disables the League constitution's self-defense provisions. Now, to generate a conquest of Manticore, our Mandarins need an unanimous vote by all League members to declare war.

I completely disagree. Two reasons.

First, that couldn't happen. At this point, the RMN has Redoubtabes and Reliants for Battlecruisers, which though much superior to the Indefatigables that the FF would be fielding, are not superior enough to do to them what Henke did to Byng. No BatCruRon CO could at this point in time go in with similarly-numbered forces and take out exactly one enemy. Such a fight would be much messier, which is why it wouldn't take place.

If it did in this format, then yes, the RMN may disavow.

Second, a sane RMN flag officer would come with something bigger, like a division or squadron of DNs, to investigate what happened. Against a wall, the Solarian BatCruRun would indeed lose. But more importantly, in this scenario, the RMN would not disavow. The CO in a DN division or squadron is a Rear Admiral or Vice Admiral, respectively, who would be likely very much in communication with the Admiralty. And that's led by Sir James Bowie Webster and he's not likely to disavow for political reasons.

And I don't see the Government or the Queen paying reparations for what wasn't their fault either.

By "responding the way Henke did," I meant instantly charging to respond without consulting the home government. It doesn't matter if they do it with BCs or SDs, the eventual SLN response still overwhelms Manticore in the end.

The Manticoran government in 1903 would not be able to stop the SLN militarily, not without the improvements forced by the Haven war. As you point out, they literally do not have the option of outranging and overpowering SLN forces with impunity.

They'd find a way to back down, probably via reducing the transit fees for Solarian freighters to parity with Manticoran ones for a while. As long as they retain the RMN and the MWJ, they can recover.

If there has been a New Tuscany incident, but Byng is not attacked the reparations won't even be that much - and it's as likely the League would be the one paying Manticore eventually.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Out of the wild blue yonder. I guess that is the main speed bump in this thread. It wouldn't be a speed bump if everybody would simply accept the givens in the word problem. It always reminds me of this classmate in Algebra who had a hard time accepting some of the givens in the word problems, "Well why would two trains be on the same track bearing down on each other?" LOL

Again, I'd like to deal with the aftermath. Don't care how it happened. Why can't we proceed from there? Truly, I always wondered what would become of a superpower if it was conquered by an unsavory element, if the RHN, IAN, or RMN is conquered by the greedy League. Is there a reason we can't indulge in this particular thought experiment? Too cerebral, again?

Besides, what reason did the League have for doing most of their crap. Greed!

I totally disagree the SL wasn't kept apprised of the latest developments in the Haven sector. They just never listened. They never listened because there were moles creating holes and misfiling memos. Who knows what the SL would have been capable of doing if the MA had not infiltrated and screwed them so deeply.

What if someone in the SL with half a brain wrote the same type of memo we just read in another thread, one which emphasizes the danger in the Haven sector, and highlights the window of opportunity of ever seizing Manticore is quickly closing. Frankly, I don't know why the SL didn't fear the expanionistic Havenites winning their war with, and getting their muttons on, the MBS.

At any rate, how are we to discuss the aftermath of a mighty navy falling to the arrogance and greed of the SL, if we don't accept that they did as a given. For the sake of conversation? We do still live in a free society, don't we? We're not North Koreans, are we? Is this particular train of thought and mind experiment only suited for an Ivy League setting?

Last edited by cthia on Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by jtg452   » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:51 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Forget Grayson as a bolthole for Manty tech.

Ya'll are forgetting why the Graysons and the Manties were allies in the first place. Both of them realized that the Havenites were sniffing around in their direction looking to expand.

The Manties had the means to resist and the Graysons were in a strategic location according to the current doctrine. Why do you think that there's so many Battle of Yeltsin's Star? The whole 'deep strike' doctrine wasn't in existence back then. You proceeded incrementally through an area of space securing key systems and their flanks.

If the Manties are forced to bail on the Graysons before the podlayer era, Grayson ends up being part of Haven. They don't have the tech, hulls or trained manpower (how many 'loaner' officers are still wearing Grayson blue at the current end of the series?) to do more than die heroically.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

BTW, I like asking the tough questions that nobody dares to touch. I like tackling the tough problems, that nobody dares to touch. I like to peel back and peer a bit deeper than the top layer of skin. I can deal with pitchforks, I've had lots of experience in this forum.

Incidentally, I wonder what would become of our own way of life if America was conquered by a communist regime, haven't any of you thought about that? Our present government comes a bit closer to it than I'm comfortable with.

STRIKE THAT POLITICAL STATEMENT PLEASE!

If we don't stray away from the norm, we miss out on some truly succulent questions. Like what the SL would demand of the Cats, who will certainly be at odds with them. What would be their fate? Would the Cats go into hiding again? What if the Cats become targeted by the Gendarmerie who is occupying Manticore?

What if centuries old frustrations are taken out against the Manticoran population? Like Manticoran citizens and royalty alike being raped?

Oh, simply the big questions even angels fear to tread.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:42 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:The Manticoran government in 1903 would not be able to stop the SLN militarily, not without the improvements forced by the Haven war. As you point out, they literally do not have the option of outranging and overpowering SLN forces with impunity.

They'd find a way to back down, probably via reducing the transit fees for Solarian freighters to parity with Manticoran ones for a while. As long as they retain the RMN and the MWJ, they can recover.

If there has been a New Tuscany incident, but Byng is not attacked the reparations won't even be that much - and it's as likely the League would be the one paying Manticore eventually.

Thanks, that's a plausible solution: pretend to bow down and give some incentives (carrot) while carrying the big stick of Case Lacoön. If the Mandarins are not yet being compelled to further sink the League, they might accept this and move on.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:16 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Again, I'd like to deal with the aftermath. Don't care how it happened. Why can't we proceed from there? Truly, I always wondered what would become of a superpower if it was conquered by an unsavory element, if the RHN, IAN, or RMN is conquered by the greedy League. Is there a reason we can't indulge in this particular thought experiment? Too cerebral, again?

The problem is that to tell you what the aftermath would be, we need to know what was happening that led to it. The aftermath will vary wildly otherwise.

Let me give three scenarios I can come up with right now:

Scenario One. The Manticoran Government realises it won't be able to hold the PRH back, however much they've spent in building up Project Gram. So they seek admission into the SL in a similar model as the Maya Sector, with the added advantage of a treaty of association with the Republic of Beowulf. In this scenario, there's no more monarchy and the Queen abdicates; the House of Lords becomes a Senate and the RMN becomes the Manticoran Self-Defence Force. A squadron of the wall from the BSDF and one from Battle Fleet is permanently stationed in the MBS.

I know it's not what you meant by "conquer," but it's one scenario. In it, the SKM has negotiated very good preferential treatment. It s probably got a level of influence near that of a Core System, which the SKM technological and industrial base warrants anyway. The goodies from Project Gram are still there. The men and women in the street in Landing feel no change at all.

Scenario Two. The MAlign realises that if the PRH does indeed conquer the SKM, as all models predict it will do, it will be too powerful when the eventual confrontation with the Solarian League happens. Moreover, Harris has realised the folly of the DuQuesne Plan because this agitator called Robert Stanton Pierre has been advocating for reforms, so the MAlign realises its control of the Peeps is slipping. They also implement a reverse of Case Lacoön by denying the MMM passage in League wormholes, so the SKM is pressed financially too. When ten squadrons of SD show up in the MBS ("only" 80 wallers, not 500), the RMN decides resistance is futile.

In this scenario, the RMN evacuates the Queen, the Government and takes all the prototypes from Project Gram. All the Sphinx and Gryphon-class SDs and Bellerophon-class DNs suddenly vanish and the SLN observers think that a force of DNs and SDs numbering no more than 120 is what would be expected anyway (that's still the largest Navy outside of the SLN and PN!). The Queen forms a government in exile in one of the allies or with the Andies. Some of the leading Manticoran companies feel pressure from Solarian transstellars and their corrupt administration, so they help fund a guerilla war to liberate Manticore.

Scenario Three. The one I had above: someone, not the MAlign, engineers a confrontation that causes a diplomatic incident, which escalates. And despite the diplomatic overtures by the SKM, Operation Raging Justice is launched with 500 SDs. That invasion fails and Raging Justice II is launched, which finally succeeds. At that point, the SL's image is in tatters, as they've lost three eighths of their battle fleet and their image of invincibility. They're undeniably the aggressors and are being skewered in the public opinion, led by none other than Beowulf, who as the epic told, rose up to defend the oppressed against The Monster. The SLN controls the Junction plus the Basilisk and Matapan termini, but the Gregor, Trevor's Star and Beowulf termini are closed to all traffic. That means the operation backfired spectacularly!

And to make matters worse, the MAlign realises that the conquest of Manticore is in the way of their own plans. The presence of the SLN in the Haven Sector causes the PRH to suddenly stop expanding, since Harris is no fool to pick a fight with the League. So he swallows the bitter pill and begins those economic reforms, after expunging his government of undesireables who were pushing for a continuation of the DuQuesne Plan (most of whom were MAlign agents). So the MAlign sees having no future path for growth, which makes it too small to confront the SLN when the time comes. So they side with the public opinion in condemning the current Mandarins who did launch the invasion.

What if someone in the SL with half a brain wrote the same type of memo we just read in another thread, one which emphasizes the danger in the Haven sector, and highlights the window of opportunity of ever seizing Manticore is quickly closing. Frankly, I don't know why the SL didn't fear the expanionistic Havenites winning their war with, and getting their muttons on, the MBS.

Then please write the memo or at least give us an outline of the conclusions from it. Fester did a good job in his thread. Because I don't see how the arrogant SL would ever imagine that the Havenites would become a threat. They weren't a threat then and wouldn't become one for centuries, unless there was a paradigm change (and you can't predict those). The League has the momentum on its side: it has far more members, a far bigger Navy and is adding them more every year, and peacefully. Plus their economy is actually healthy, unlike the PRH's.

In fact, such a memo is even far more likely to argue for the SL to wait until both sides are depleted and then invade. That would have placed the invasion in 1910 or so, which changes the equation considerably.

At any rate, how are we to discuss the aftermath of a mighty navy falling to the arrogance and greed of the SL, if we don't accept that they did as a given. For the sake of conversation? We do still live in a free society, don't we? We're not North Koreans, are we? Is this particular train of thought and mind experiment only suited for an Ivy League setting?

That has nothing to do with free speech and more about the possible outcomes. Which of the three scenarios above do you want to discuss? Or do you want me to come up with three more? I can come up with one whereby the OFS had been slowly infiltrating the SKM Government too.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:12 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Manticore does have that massive merchant marine in addition to the Junction. For all the people we are told hate Manties because of their attitude, there is envy and jealousy over sucesss and unless there is some compelling reason for SL member worlds to not use Manticoran flagged merchant shipping, there seems to be good economic reasons for them to use them. Remember that if MMM ships didn't deliver at least one compelling compeditve advantage, nobody would use the that didn't have to. They would also find that someone would show up as a competitor to take business away from them. Manticore is NOT strongarming customers to either stay with MMM ships or change to MMM ships from anybody elses. They are represented in the books as good at what they are doing- moving freight on an interstellar basis and do it in a cost effective manner.

Plus many of the people who seem to dislike Manticore are the minor League bureaucrats in port administration, and possibly some customs people, becauese the MMM ships are from the verge but don't show the ingratiation deference (and under the table payments) that the administrators feel is their due. The MMM seem to think their nearly as good as an honest League citizen! The sheer effrontery! Not bowing and scraping for their betters!

Now there's probably some level of annoyance with Manticore's rate structure for the Junction with other League shippers; and it's corresponding resentment that the MMM gets the lowest rates through the wormhole network. But there's less direct interaction between other shippers and the MMM than there is between the MMM and port/customs officials.

But at the Mandarins' level Manticore just weren't a factor until the shooting incident with Byng crops up. And the average citizen could hardly care less about them - because they don't impact the citizens' lives and with the high level bureaucrats indifferent to Manticore there's been no propaganda push to try to make the average citizen care.

So, it seems to me, that proposing the SLN go to war over their annoyance with Manticore is essentially proposing that in 1800s Britain go to war with, say, Brazil simply because Brazilian crew irritate the port officials at Portsmith, Halifax, Cape Town, etc.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:20 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

jtg452 wrote:Forget Grayson as a bolthole for Manty tech.

Ya'll are forgetting why the Graysons and the Manties were allies in the first place. Both of them realized that the Havenites were sniffing around in their direction looking to expand.

The Manties had the means to resist and the Graysons were in a strategic location according to the current doctrine. Why do you think that there's so many Battle of Yeltsin's Star? The whole 'deep strike' doctrine wasn't in existence back then. You proceeded incrementally through an area of space securing key systems and their flanks.

If the Manties are forced to bail on the Graysons before the podlayer era, Grayson ends up being part of Haven. They don't have the tech, hulls or trained manpower (how many 'loaner' officers are still wearing Grayson blue at the current end of the series?) to do more than die heroically.

I argue that this wouldn't be true if Manticore abandoned Grayson because the League had conquered Manticore.

Yes if Manticore unilaterally abandoned Grayson then Haven would likely scoop them up. The Yeltsin system wouldn't be anywhere near as useful to Haven in the middle of a shooting war as it would have been while there was still time, pre-war, to turn it into a forward support base. But it's useful enough.

But in the proposed scenario, with the League occupying Manticore in 1903, Grayson loses all usefulness to Haven. It's a useful position for fighting Manticore; but that now means fighting the League and Haven has zero interest in poking that bear. So strategically it's no longer useful; and by possibly attracting the League's attention the occupation of it is arguably strategically counterproductive. And at this point Grayson doesn't have a large enough economy to temp Haven either.

Instead Haven has to decide, with Manticore neutralized, if they can risk pushing around the flank of this new League incursion into the Haven Sector - letting their begin seizing the prize they originally wanted (Silesia) or whether the League presence make any more military expansion too risky to contemplate. But either way Grayson's of no use to them.

Return to Honorverse