Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 18 guests

Treecat Social Dynamics

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Treecat Social Dynamics
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 12869
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:****** *

It isn't beyond a treecat to become criminal. How should a treecat be punished? Should they be imprisoned like a two-leg? If they are going to be citizens they can't be allowed to break the law. We already know they can steal.

Can we apply "two-finger discount" to treecats?

LOL


I believe 2 punishments have been mentioned - Banishment and Corporal. There was mention of a mentally damaged treecat who... abused?... kittens and was permanently removed from society for his crimes.

I would think, being a communal culture, that 4 fingered discounts don't fully exist, but there probably are some societal lines drawn to curb bad behaviors. Attitudes like hording would be highly discouraged.

4 finger discounts? LOL That's twice the sale price of free. LOL

We know they exist because the Cats weren't exactly borrowing celery in the beginning. Remember, they were caught red-handed. Literally red-handed with infrared by Stephanie. So, that type of discount exists for sure. But perhaps not within the clan itself. How can you steal from a species who know you're guilty? But! Stealing from the celery-rich and giving to the celery-poor is doable. It's the Robinhood complex. I wonder what the name of the scout was who led the expeditions. Sir Robin of Sphinxley? LOL

Banishment? Removed from society? What does that mean? Is there a Simba out there plotting revenge?

Wait! What? Abuse kittens?

Could there be a Brotherhood of the Traveling Cats plotting revenge? Could these Cats find the mind-glow of Mesans delectable, since the Cats themselves are such strays, straying so much away from norms?

Theemile, what book did this happen, because OMG, I think I missed Treecat Wars! Whaaaat?! :o

Cover Summary


The fires are out, but the trouble's just beginning for the treecats

On pioneer planet Sphinx, ruined lands and the approach of winter force the now Landless Clan to seek new territory. They have one big problem—there's nowhere to go. Worse, their efforts to find a new home awaken the enmity of the closest treecat clan—a stronger group who's not giving up a single branch without a fight Stephanie Harrington, the treecats' greatest advocate, is off to Manticore for extensive training—and up to her ears in challenges there. That leaves only Stephanie's best friends, Jessica and Anders, to save the treecats from themselves. And now a group of xenoanthropologists is once again after the great secret of the treecats—that they are intelligent, empathic telepaths—and their agenda will lead to nothing less that treecat exploitation.

Finally, Jessica and Anders face problems of their own, including their growing attraction to one another. It is an attraction that seems a betrayal of Stephanie Harrington, the best friend either of them have ever had.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Treecat Social Dynamics
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:49 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 6730
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Virginia, USA

cthia wrote:4 finger discounts? LOL That's twice the sale price of free. LOL

We know they exist because the Cats weren't exactly borrowing celery in the beginning. Remember, they were caught red-handed. Literally red-handed with infrared by Stephanie. So, that type of discount exists for sure. But perhaps not within the clan itself. How can you steal from a species who know you're guilty? But! Stealing from the celery-rich and giving to the celery-poor is doable. It's the Robinhood complex. I wonder what the name of the scout was who led the expeditions. Sir Robin of Sphinxley? LOL

I didn't bother to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure she caught him mauve handed using UV. Weren't the previous attempts to catch celery "thieves" red handed failures because the 'cats can see into the near infrared and avoided stepping into the IR beam "tripwires"?

Also, the fact they were taking the celery doesn't imply they had a concept of ownership and theft. If I said a deer raided my garden and stole my vegetables I don't think that deer actually have a concept of theft :D (That said, I suspect the 'cats do have a concept of personal ownership; even if they don't necessarily apply it to unharvested food. And therefore probably did have a concept of theft. I'm less sure that they've have viewed taking celery from two-legs back then as theft)
Top
Re: Treecat Social Dynamics
Post by Theemile   » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:49 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4155
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: All over the Place - Now Serving Dublin, OH

cthia wrote:
Theemile wrote:
I believe 2 punishments have been mentioned - Banishment and Corporal. There was mention of a mentally damaged treecat who... abused?... kittens and was permanently removed from society for his crimes.

I would think, being a communal culture, that 4 fingered discounts don't fully exist, but there probably are some societal lines drawn to curb bad behaviors. Attitudes like hording would be highly discouraged.

4 finger discounts? LOL That's twice the sale price of free. LOL

We know they exist because the Cats weren't exactly borrowing celery in the beginning. Remember, they were caught red-handed. Literally red-handed with infrared by Stephanie. So, that type of discount exists for sure. But perhaps not within the clan itself. How can you steal from a species who know you're guilty? But! Stealing from the celery-rich and giving to the celery-poor is doable. It's the Robinhood complex. I wonder what the name of the scout was who led the expeditions. Sir Robin of Sphinxley? LOL

Banishment? Removed from society? What does that mean? Is there a Simba out there plotting revenge?

Wait! What? Abuse kittens?

Could there be a Brotherhood of the Traveling Cats plotting revenge? Could these Cats find the mind-glow of Mesans delectable, since the Cats themselves are such strays, straying so much away from norms?

Theemile, what book did this happen, because OMG, I think I missed Treecat Wars! Whaaaat?! :o

Cover Summary


The fires are out, but the trouble's just beginning for the treecats

On pioneer planet Sphinx, ruined lands and the approach of winter force the now Landless Clan to seek new territory. They have one big problem—there's nowhere to go. Worse, their efforts to find a new home awaken the enmity of the closest treecat clan—a stronger group who's not giving up a single branch without a fight Stephanie Harrington, the treecats' greatest advocate, is off to Manticore for extensive training—and up to her ears in challenges there. That leaves only Stephanie's best friends, Jessica and Anders, to save the treecats from themselves. And now a group of xenoanthropologists is once again after the great secret of the treecats—that they are intelligent, empathic telepaths—and their agenda will lead to nothing less that treecat exploitation.

Finally, Jessica and Anders face problems of their own, including their growing attraction to one another. It is an attraction that seems a betrayal of Stephanie Harrington, the best friend either of them have ever had.


It's been awhile since a complete re-read, So I'm not certain where it was at. It was an idle thought from a treecat POV about humans being evil and it's possible for a treecat to become evil as well because of treecat X, who became broke mentally and was caught "hurting" kittens, and was hunted and killed by the tribe's scouts and hunters iirc.
******
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Top
Re: Treecat Social Dynamics
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:22 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 12869
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

cthia wrote:
Theemile wrote:
I believe 2 punishments have been mentioned - Banishment and Corporal. There was mention of a mentally damaged treecat who... abused?... kittens and was permanently removed from society for his crimes.

I would think, being a communal culture, that 4 fingered discounts don't fully exist, but there probably are some societal lines drawn to curb bad behaviors. Attitudes like hording would be highly discouraged.

4 finger discounts? LOL That's twice the sale price of free. LOL

We know they exist because the Cats weren't exactly borrowing celery in the beginning. Remember, they were caught red-handed. Literally red-handed with infrared by Stephanie. So, that type of discount exists for sure. But perhaps not within the clan itself. How can you steal from a species who know you're guilty? But! Stealing from the celery-rich and giving to the celery-poor is doable. It's the Robinhood complex. I wonder what the name of the scout was who led the expeditions. Sir Robin of Sphinxley? LOL

Banishment? Removed from society? What does that mean? Is there a Simba out there plotting revenge?

Wait! What? Abuse kittens?

Could there be a Brotherhood of the Traveling Cats plotting revenge? Could these Cats find the mind-glow of Mesans delectable, since the Cats themselves are such strays, straying so much away from norms?

Theemile, what book did this happen, because OMG, I think I missed Treecat Wars! Whaaaat?! :o

Cover Summary


The fires are out, but the trouble's just beginning for the treecats

On pioneer planet Sphinx, ruined lands and the approach of winter force the now Landless Clan to seek new territory. They have one big problem—there's nowhere to go. Worse, their efforts to find a new home awaken the enmity of the closest treecat clan—a stronger group who's not giving up a single branch without a fight Stephanie Harrington, the treecats' greatest advocate, is off to Manticore for extensive training—and up to her ears in challenges there. That leaves only Stephanie's best friends, Jessica and Anders, to save the treecats from themselves. And now a group of xenoanthropologists is once again after the great secret of the treecats—that they are intelligent, empathic telepaths—and their agenda will lead to nothing less that treecat exploitation.

Finally, Jessica and Anders face problems of their own, including their growing attraction to one another. It is an attraction that seems a betrayal of Stephanie Harrington, the best friend either of them have ever had.


Theemile wrote:It's been awhile since a complete re-read, So I'm not certain where it was at. It was an idle thought from a treecat POV about humans being evil and it's possible for a treecat to become evil as well because of treecat X, who became broke mentally and was caught "hurting" kittens, and was hunted and killed by the tribe's scouts and hunters iirc.

Thanks. I'd sure like to read that, so if anyone else recalls it, I'd be tickled pink with gratitude.

Of course it begs the question of what type of mindglow an evil treecat would like. Would an evil treecat find a malignant mindglow appealing?

In regards to the common BAM! TREECAT LIGHTNING!, we're generally familiar with freakish lightning.

I'm also as curious as any cat as to how a cat lost his marbles. Perhaps it was a result of "losing his mind." LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Treecat Social Dynamics
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:59 pm

Fox2!
Captain of the List

Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:34 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Theemile wrote:It's been awhile since a complete re-read, So I'm not certain where it was at. It was an idle thought from a treecat POV about humans being evil and it's possible for a treecat to become evil as well because of treecat X, who became broke mentally and was caught "hurting" kittens, and was hunted and killed by the tribe's scouts and hunters iirc.

Thanks. I'd sure like to read that, so if anyone else recalls it, I'd be tickled pink with gratitude.

Of course it begs the question of what type of mindglow an evil treecat would like. Would an evil treecat find a malignant mindglow appealing?

In regards to the common BAM! TREECAT LIGHTNING!, we're generally familiar with freakish lightning.

I'm also as curious as any cat as to how a cat lost his marbles. Perhaps it was a result of "losing his mind." LOL[/quote]

I believe that's in the Honor/Nimitz bonding story in Beginnings.
Top
Re: Treecat Social Dynamics
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 12869
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Rid the forest of hexapumas?

Treecat's now have the means to rid their communities of hexapumas. Man certainly wouldn't have lions living in his communities. Should the treecats take advantage of who they know to rid the forest of hexes? At what cost to the forest?

Meyerdahl

Meyerdahl was a planet in the Solarian League, the inhabited world of the Meyerdahl System.

It was colonized around 500 PD, and the Meyerdahl First Wave genetic manipulation was designed to adjust the settlers to the new environment. (SK1, HH9)

By the beginning of the 16th Century PD, it was an extremely domesticated planet with all predators dangerous to humans having been banished to isolated tracts of wilderness which were overseen by the Meyerdahl Forestry Service. Meyerdahl was also the planet from where the Harrington Clan originated: Stephanie Harrington was born and lived in the city of Hollister until she was nine T-years old. (HHA1.1: ABF)

Its population was about six billion when the Harringtons left for Sphinx. (SK1)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Treecat Social Dynamics
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:10 am

ThinksMarkedly
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:39 am

cthia wrote:Rid the forest of hexapumas?

Treecat's now have the means to rid their communities of hexapumas. Man certainly wouldn't have lions living in his communities. Should the treecats take advantage of who they know to rid the forest of hexes? At what cost to the forest?


I don't remember any mention of a hexapuma den inside a clan's range.

In the same forest doesn't count. Man certainly has not killed all the lions living on this planet. Why should treecats kill all hexapumas?
Top
Re: Treecat Social Dynamics
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 12869
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Rid the forest of hexapumas?

Treecat's now have the means to rid their communities of hexapumas. Man certainly wouldn't have lions living in his communities. Should the treecats take advantage of who they know to rid the forest of hexes? At what cost to the forest?


I don't remember any mention of a hexapuma den inside a clan's range.

In the same forest doesn't count. Man certainly has not killed all the lions living on this planet. Why should treecats kill all hexapumas?

Not inside their range or backyard, but they certainly encounter them while going to the mall. Nimitz was returning from the mall - Honor's property - when they encountered the hex. No?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Treecat Social Dynamics
Post by Theemile   » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:00 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4155
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: All over the Place - Now Serving Dublin, OH

cthia wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:
I don't remember any mention of a hexapuma den inside a clan's range.

In the same forest doesn't count. Man certainly has not killed all the lions living on this planet. Why should treecats kill all hexapumas?

Not inside their range or backyard, but they certainly encounter them while going to the mall. Nimitz was returning from the mall - Honor's property - when they encountered the hex. No?


I believe Nimitz and Honor's story was Peak Bears migrating outside their territory due to abnormal weather conditions. Dead shot Honor put an end to their wanderings.

Stephani's story was the Hexapuma.
******
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Top
Re: Treecat Social Dynamics
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:46 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:39 am

Theemile wrote:I believe Nimitz and Honor's story was Peak Bears migrating outside their territory due to abnormal weather conditions. Dead shot Honor put an end to their wanderings.

Stephani's story was the Hexapuma.


And Stephanie crash-landed quite far from her home and the Bright Water Clan's range.

A single treecat is no match for a hexapuma, one on one. But treecats aren't stupid, they attack in groups; hexapumas know not to tangle with groups of treecats. So it stands to reason that treecats do clear the areas near their range of hexapuma and other threats.
Top

Return to Honorverse