Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests

Honorverse opinions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse opinions
Post by tlb   » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:30 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:So you did begin the series by way of the Basilisk terminal first? Are you due an apology and a late RSVP?

tlb wrote:Why would anyone be due an RSVP, unless they invited you to something?

RSVP = "Répondez s'il vous plaît" = Respond, if you please.

cthia wrote:Dude, please pump your breaks, you're destroying the pads. And for the love of God, please drink decaf if coffee you must! You are the only one that didn't get that reference. Try reading my posts and holster that sidearm. Gees. Read the RSVP link on the previous page. If you still can't figure it out then, I don't know what to tell you.

In another thread where I included so much substance, you choose to argue the current accepted usage for "bought the farm." ??? Now I know what trolling is! If you want me to continue to respond to you. Get a grip.

I only just questioned the usage "bought the farm" in this thread; I have never questioned it before in another thread; so I do not know what you are talking about.

I showed above what Snopes.com had to say about "bought the farm". If you are aware of any other currently accepted usage, then bring it out. Every reference I can find says it means to die, usually in a military context.

I had never read your "Honor, Inner Circle" thread before, so I did not realize that you were misusing RSVP to mean an invitation (in that case to join Honor's inner circle). But it does not mean an invitation, since an invitation might have an "RSVP" (meaning tell the host whether or not you will attend) , it might have "Regrets Only" (tell the host only if you will not attend) or it might have nothing (meaning it is okay to show up or not as you please).
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:11 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:So you did begin the series by way of the Basilisk terminal first? Are you due an apology and a late RSVP?

tlb wrote:Why would anyone be due an RSVP, unless they invited you to something?

RSVP = "Répondez s'il vous plaît" = Respond, if you please.

cthia wrote:Dude, please pump your breaks, you're destroying the pads. And for the love of God, please drink decaf if coffee you must! You are the only one that didn't get that reference. Try reading my posts and holster that sidearm. Gees. Read the RSVP link on the previous page. If you still can't figure it out then, I don't know what to tell you.

In another thread where I included so much substance, you choose to argue the current accepted usage for "bought the farm." ??? Now I know what trolling is! If you want me to continue to respond to you. Get a grip.

I only just questioned the usage "bought the farm" in this thread; I have never questioned it before in another thread; so I do not know what you are talking about.

I showed above what Snopes.com had to say about "bought the farm". If you are aware of any other currently accepted usage, then bring it out. Every reference I can find says it means to die, usually in a military context.

I had never read your "Honor, Inner Circle" thread before, so I did not realize that you were misusing RSVP to mean an invitation (in that case to join Honor's inner circle). But it does not mean an invitation, since an invitation might have an "RSVP" (meaning tell the host whether or not you will attend) , it might have "Regrets Only" (tell the host only if you will not attend) or it might have nothing (meaning it is okay to show up or not as you please).

Misusing RSVP?

First I had to explain Karma to you.
Then it was treason.
Then "bought the farm."
Now, RSVP.

Whew! Do you intend to discuss the entire dictionary?

Son, my family has been sending out RSVPs, and I've been receiving them all of my life.

It is obvious you've never received a gold envelope with simply the letters RSVP.

DECAF. PLEASE.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Daryl   » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:34 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I'm an old participant here and still unsure about RSVP, as I have been responding to them for 50+ years, but missed any context here. The "pumping your breaks", is also obscure, or did you mean "using your brakes"?
Post by tlb   » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:56 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Then "bought the farm."
Now, RSVP.

Son, my family has been sending out RSVPs, and I've been receiving them all of my life.

It is obvious you've never received a gold envelope with simply the letters RSVP.

A letter with just "RSVP" does not have the what, where or when that is the heart of the invitation. Are you saying that you then call up the person that sent you the note to ask what the occasion is and when and where it is to be?

So far you have not explained what you think the currently accepted meaning of "bought the farm" might be. I have used Google to check my recollection and gave you what Snopes.com wrote on the previous page of this thread. There not an alternate meaning that I can find.

Daryl: I am not so unreasonable that I am going to question an obvious misspelling in "pumping your breaks". But since you have joined into the discussion, please answer this question: When you receive an invitation with the mark "RSVP", are you suggesting that is the only thing written on the note? Also no one has ever written you an invitation with the notation "Regrets Only"?
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:21 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:Then "bought the farm."
Now, RSVP.

A letter with just "RSVP" does not have the what, where or when that is the heart of the invitation. Are you saying that you then call up the person that sent you the note to ask what the occasion is and when and where it is to be?

So far you have not explained what you think the currently accepted meaning of "bought the farm" might be. I have used Google to check my recollection and gave you what Snopes.com wrote on the previous page of this thread. There not an alternate meaning that I can find.

Daryl: I am not so unreasonable that I am going to question an obvious misspelling in "pumping your breaks". But since you have joined into the discussion, please answer this question: When you receive an invitation with the mark "RSVP", are you suggesting that is the only thing written on the note? Also no one has ever written you an invitation with the notation "Regrets Only"?

I've never seen an envelope without an inside. I'll check back in the forum when this silliness fades.

BTW, it would be nice if everyone used just one alias.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:16 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:BTW, it would be nice if everyone used just one alias.

??? Please tell us more.

PS. I searched the entire forum and in only two place do you use the phrase "buy the farm" in the way that is different than I expect (you even played around with it in the case of Cordelia Ransom): one was earlier in this thread and the other was in Honorverse rumblings and musings where you wrote the following.
Besides, like all mothers teach their daughters, why buy the farm when you can get the milk for free.
That is usually said the following way:"a man will not buy the cow, when he can get the milk for free'.
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:BTW, it would be nice if everyone used just one alias.

??? Please tell us more.

PS. I searched the entire forum and in only two place do you use the phrase "buy the farm" in the way that is different than I expect (you even played around with it in the case of Cordelia Ransom): one was earlier in this thread and the other was in Honorverse rumblings and musings where you wrote the following.
Besides, like all mothers teach their daughters, why buy the farm when you can get the milk for free.
That is usually said the following way:"a man will not buy the cow, when he can get the milk for free'.

This screen name has been placed on my personal ban list. Informing you, affords you a bit more respect, and consideration, than you give me.

Post by tlb   » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:20 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:This screen name has been placed on my personal ban list. Informing you, affords you a bit more respect, and consideration, than you give me.

One more thing to add to the list of items that I do not understand. This seems to state that I must have a second ID in this forum, but I have no idea why I would want such a thing. However that denial will never reach you, if you have turned off any view of my posts.

It is not clear to me what precipitated this exclusion, not that I think either of us will be hurt by it. It is true that we have we have both written things about each other that would prevent us from being friends, however (without having kept score) I would have imagined that you had given as much as you got.

In this particular thread there are only two things that I can see would set this off:

1. When you wrote about Emily "buying the farm", I questioned the phrase since I understood you to be referring to her submitting to the marriage (since it was to that subject which you had responded), but made it clear that phrase could encompass her death. On rereading what you wrote, it is ambiguous whether you meant death or marriage. The fact that that you have used the phrase numerous times in the forum in the way that I expect, probably means that I was wrong in my immediate interpretation.

2. The use of "RSVP" as a shorthand for a formal invitation is simply something that I had never before encountered. Although I have received engraved wedding invitations, most social gatherings that I am familiar with just involve an email announcing a possible get together. Certainly getting so many formal invitations that I would needs a short name for them is foreign to me.
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:This screen name has been placed on my personal ban list. Informing you, affords you a bit more respect, and consideration, than you give me.

One more thing to add to the list of items that I do not understand. This seems to state that I must have a second ID in this forum, but I have no idea why I would want such a thing. However that denial will never reach you, if you have turned off any view of my posts.

It is not clear to me what precipitated this exclusion, not that I think either of us will be hurt by it. It is true that we have we have both written things about each other that would prevent us from being friends, however (without having kept score) I would have imagined that you had given as much as you got.

In this particular thread there are only two things that I can see would set this off:

1. When you wrote about Emily "buying the farm", I questioned the phrase since I understood you to be referring to her submitting to the marriage (since it was to that subject which you had responded), but made it clear that phrase could encompass her death. On rereading what you wrote, it is ambiguous whether you meant death or marriage. The fact that that you have used the phrase numerous times in the forum in the way that I expect, probably means that I was wrong in my immediate interpretation.

2. The use of "RSVP" as a shorthand for a formal invitation is simply something that I had never before encountered. Although I have received engraved wedding invitations, most social gatherings that I am familiar with just involve an email announcing a possible get together. Certainly getting so many formal invitations that I would needs a short name for them is foreign to me.

You have not been added to the list yet. It was to be completed before I log out.

1. You cannot take things out of context. And I have appealed to you on many occasions to actually read my posts. Granted, my tendency to write incomplete sentences because of my limited time—and because I light so many fires and open so many cans of worms and try to support them all, my way less than perfect mastery of the English language, my typing skills' inability to keep pace with my brain and my uppity spellchecker and yadda—I admit, may all conspire to make my posts unclear. But you often compound it by drawing your sidearm while reading, and read out of context, it doesn't do either of us any good.

I was intensely annoyed because it is obvious you weren't following the conversation, when it is you who opened that vein of thought. You said you were disappointed by how quickly the issue with the marriage was resolved with simply a stroke of the pen, after the author had dragged it out so long. I said that I wasn't surprised because religion and tradition tends to be complicated and cannot be solved so quickly. Especially since it affects two religions, two planets, two societies and two systems. I also suggest/imply that the ease of which it was settled does not necessarily mean that hell and brimstone isn't going on behind the scenes in the churches, and the congregations. On both planets. I went on to question/imply/suggest that the unmentioned church in this conversation—Weber's-and his own convictions since he is a Christian—may have been the reason of Emily's "death."

2. I try not to harp on the fact that I was raised differently, it seems. Or that I was fortunate to have had benefit of certain things in my way of life, although manners should not be dependent on money. But it is often made difficult to maintain that policy in this forum.

RSVP is used as a noun in my social circles. And has been for my entire life. "Have you received your RSVP?" I remember a time it didn't mean as much to me as it should have. Adolescent boys don't care about such things. IN MY SOCIAL CIRCLES, they are used as a method to imply IMPORTANCE and to simultaneously convey EXCLUSIVITY. The type of people who crash a party are not likely to crash an RSVP. NEITHER are RSVPs LIKELY to be crashed. I have saved quite a few of them from my past as keepsakes, and they have a tendency to be HAND DELIVERED.

Post by tlb   » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:33 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:You have not been added to the list yet. It was to be completed before I log out.

It might be better if you did add me to that list, since then I will not be able to annoy you by asking for explanations.

But before you do, why would you think that I operate under more than one alias? If that is what you meant. Who do you believe is my alter ego? This answer will probably annoy someone.

Return to Honorverse