Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Treecat Counter

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Treecat Counter
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:32 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Amish Treecats?

Now All I can think of are treecats with beards and wide brimmed hats.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:02 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Theemile wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Amish Treecats?

Now All I can think of are treecats with beards and wide brimmed hats.

Now there's an image that's hard to unsee.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:00 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Domesticated Treecats? I said a while ago that the 'Cats biggest enemy could be domestication. The Grayson Cats could be in danger of it the most. How much "range" does a Cat have to play with on Grayson? Being Grayson is a domed planet. How many animals does a Cat get to hunt. Beards and moustaches aren't as bad as paralyzing fat. Have you ever seen a criminally obese canine?

The idea of vibroknives seem to be redundant. And it is also a fine example of the dangers of domestication. Anyway, aren't a Cat's claws already the equivalent of vibroblades? Unless they are up against suited enemies in heavy armor.

Special case assaults, and defense, might call for special weapons.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:01 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Domesticated Treecats? I said a while ago that the 'Cats biggest enemy could be domestication. The Grayson Cats could be in danger of it the most. How much "range" does a Cat have to play with on Grayson? Being Grayson is a domed planet. How many animals does a Cat get to hunt. Beards and moustaches aren't as bad as paralyzing fat. Have you ever seen a criminally obese canine?

The idea of vibroknives seem to be redundant. And it is also a fine example of the dangers of domestication. Anyway, aren't a Cat's claws already the equivalent of vibroblades? Unless they are up against suited enemies in heavy armor.

Special case assaults, and defense, might call for special weapons.

Cats are already tool users, and make axes and knives. If they take the step to a modern farming collective ( which they would in order to grow their #s), why would they not want modern tools and techniques? Not to berate what they have naturally, but what they have is a set of pocket knives. A vibro blade could do in moments what they do in minutes. ( I'm not thinking a vibro boy scout knife here, I'm think a vibro Bowie or bigger: sufficient to fell medium trees or lop off hexapuma limbs in a single swipe.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

:idea: A Jedi Cat & lightsaber, using "the force" :!:

<Cut you will, blood I might, spill you die>

—Obi Wan Cat-I-Be

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ZVar   » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:49 am

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote::idea: A Jedi Cat & lightsaber, using "the force" :!:

<Cut you will, blood I might, spill you die>

—Obi Wan Cat-I-Be

Please don't quit your day job. :)
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I think Amish Treecats is an image too far. And your right, the beards and hats idea need to be forgotten. :)

To a great extend, Treecat society is a consensus based one.
We have seen nothing like a religious component which is a major if not the primary reason the Amish do things the way they do and approch things.

The Treecat society does have anchors to it's history and culture in far more effective ways than humans do. They have Memory Singers. They can see and understand what Cats consider important parts of history and culture. Even the colony on Grayson has full access to everything Samantha carries of their culture.

Treecats are stepping more forward into the dealing of humans but it is a choice and not something forced on individual to move from their slowly evolving traditional culture into greater participation with humans. They are NOT being forced to.
Post by orelsi   » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:09 pm

orelsi
Ensign

Since they have cat DNA already... maybe some sort of bio weapon targeted at the cats specifically? The alignment have the expertise and the facilities already. They just need motivation.

Alternatively, poison the essential food supply? Kill the purple thorn with a plague of some kind. Celery plague? :D

Speaking of celery, came upon this the other day and it made me smile:
https://www.popsci.com/story/science/we ... n-history/
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

orelsi wrote:Since they have cat DNA already... maybe some sort of bio weapon targeted at the cats specifically? The alignment have the expertise and the facilities already. They just need motivation.

Alternatively, poison the essential food supply? Kill the purple thorn with a plague of some kind. Celery plague? :D

Speaking of celery, came upon this the other day and it made me smile:
https://www.popsci.com/story/science/we ... n-history/

Hi orelsi!

I posited the same thing. Biological warfare, on a MAlign scale, made possible by operating on the forbidden side of the genetic line must have yielded them some nasty biological weapons.

Plus, to shore up your notion, that cat DNA in their possession could be used to clone a cat, then try all sorts of invasive experiments on it. Like the aforementioned frequencies which may scramble a treecat's mind.

<OMG TURN IT OFF!>

It could be worse than their own claws on a blackboard. At any rate, attacking a treecat's food source is brilliant!

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:24 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

orelsi wrote:Since they have cat DNA already... maybe some sort of bio weapon targeted at the cats specifically? The alignment have the expertise and the facilities already. They just need motivation.

But I'm not sure they have. Until the treecats armed with pulsers start showing up on their field agents' reports, they're not going to realise how important the treecats are. There was a passage when the Detweilers were complaining about losing their moles and agents inside the Alliance, but had no idea how that was being done. We know it was via treecat lie-detection.

Return to Honorverse