Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: edgeworthy and 95 guests

SOS - Control Links and Salvos

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SOS - Control Links and Salvos
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:47 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

jchilds wrote:
Echoes of Honor, Ch. 3 wrote:"These are another innovation—for now we're calling them 'Beta-Squared' nodes—which are much more powerful than older nodes. In addition, they've been fitted with a new version of our FTL com—one with a much higher pulse repetition rate—which should make the Shrikes very useful as manned long-range scouts. I imagine we'll be seeing something like it in larger ships in the not too distant future. What matters for our present purposes, however, is that the new nodes are very nearly as powerful as old-style alpha nodes, and we've also built much heavier sidewall generators into the Shrike to go with them. The result is a sidewall which is about five times as tough as anything ever previously mounted in a LAC.

House of Steel states Beta-squared nodes became standard on all Manticoran construction by 1921 PD, as stated in the Shrike-class entry.

Oh yeah, I seem to recall that now. LACs doubled as pre Apollo recon drones. Which seems to suggest the FTL tech had to go thru several iterations of miniaturization before ready for Apollo. I simply couldn't recall when bandwidth had increased, and the slow rate of Morse Code communicating the kinds of detailed conversations at long range implied by text should have been painfully slow. Thanks jchilds.

The SL has a lot of hurdles to jump. I wonder how many kids they'll mistakenly shrink before they get there. "Honey, I shrunk the kids." :o :P :oops:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:31 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Oh yeah, I seem to recall that now. LACs doubled as pre Apollo recon drones. Which seems to suggest the FTL tech had to go thru several iterations of miniaturization before ready for Apollo. I simply couldn't recall when bandwidth had increased, and the slow rate of Morse Code communicating the kinds of detailed conversations at long range implied by text should have been painfully slow. Thanks jchilds.

The SL has a lot of hurdles to jump. I wonder how many kids they'll mistakenly shrink before they get there. "Honey, I shrunk the kids." :o :P :oops:

And Haven was belatedly following approximately that same FTL curve - though on a slightly different trajectory. We didn't see them deploying Morse-code recon drones (though they may have them) - but during Thunderbolt we saw that they'd finally been able to shrink reasonable bandwidth FTL into their recon LACs. Though they used them more as drone controllers with lightspeed links to recon drones pushed somewhat further out than the LACs. But the drone's feeds were being FTLd by the LAC back to the fleet.
Post by Theemile   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Brigade XO, I missed the fact that Megan had deployed GR to send a message to the cavalry. That brings me to a question which always confused me because I didn't get another memo. When did the GR drones begin to be able to communicate so much info in storyline? I recall initially that RMN FTL had a much limited bandwidth. In what book did they gain a larger vocabulary? I knew the vocabulary had grown beyond a Kindergarten's vocabulary, I just missed when. I experienced a, 'When did they get access to Webster's entire dictionary' type of feeling.

Theemile, thanks for breaking down Megan's loadout and number of available launches. Thanks also for explaining how she got away with keeping her position concealed, because I also missed that she swam her missiles out ballistically. But isn't the same method normally used for tube fired launches? With the only difference being the delay in lighting off? At any rate, I wondered how she would remain hidden had she needed to keep rinsing and repeating. Your post gives me ideas. She could have swam several launches out with the first launch. Activating each as needed. With several more launches ready to go from a new location. Damn she's sneaky. Did she take one of Honor's classes? "How to Stick it to the Man 101"

Which us what she did, she fire 3 launches from each launcher and had them fire together as one salvo - ie stacking launches. Everytime you stack launches, you are essentially giving the earlier launches more ballistic flight time before you light off their drives. But what if you waited 2 additional minutes and aimed them all.... Over there. And the next salvo.... Way over there. In short, your ship is moving along one vector, but the missiles appear to be launched somewhere unassociated with it.

Normally, missiles turn on their wedge almost immediately after they clear their mothership's wedge. Old school, small ships could stack broadsides by spining, firing the first broadside with a few seconds of ballistic cruising programmed in before they fire off their drive, then firing the 2nd broadside when that face aligns with the target, and timing the wedges so both salvos arrive as one. You could add this pause in wedge activation to any launch, but rarely was there an advantage. Ships rarely had the fire control to control more than 2-300% of their broadside, and missiles launched quickly fall behind a moving ship, making them more difficult to control.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:12 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Normally, missiles turn on their wedge almost immediately after they clear their mothership's wedge. Old school, small ships could stack broadsides by spining, firing the first broadside with a few seconds of ballistic cruising programmed in before they fire off their drive, then firing the 2nd broadside when that face aligns with the target, and timing the wedges so both salvos arrive as one. You could add this pause in wedge activation to any launch, but rarely was there an advantage. Ships rarely had the fire control to control more than 2-300% of their broadside, and missiles launched quickly fall behind a moving ship, making them more difficult to control.

And they did that because they could spin at high enough RPM to get the other broadside's missiles off in less time that it would take for the original broadside to reload and fire again.

So a spinning double-broadside provided a higher rate of fire and required less delay before activating the wedges of the first group of missiles.

Though I think for the best control of the missile you'd have to kill your spin within 90 seconds or so of igniting the first salvo. Otherwise your own spin prevents the ship from maintaining a solid sensor lock and fire control link on the target.

Larger ship didn't bother trying the spinning double-broadside because they didn't spin as quickly - and I think would take longer to build up or cancel out spin. If they wanted a double-broadside they'd simply accept the longer delays and lower firing rated needed to pump 2 launched from the same broadside before missile drive activation.
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:32 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Jonathan_S wrote:
Theemile wrote:Normally, missiles turn on their wedge almost immediately after they clear their mothership's wedge. Old school, small ships could stack broadsides by spining, firing the first broadside with a few seconds of ballistic cruising programmed in before they fire off their drive, then firing the 2nd broadside when that face aligns with the target, and timing the wedges so both salvos arrive as one. You could add this pause in wedge activation to any launch, but rarely was there an advantage. Ships rarely had the fire control to control more than 2-300% of their broadside, and missiles launched quickly fall behind a moving ship, making them more difficult to control.

And they did that because they could spin at high enough RPM to get the other broadside's missiles off in less time that it would take for the original broadside to reload and fire again.

So a spinning double-broadside provided a higher rate of fire and required less delay before activating the wedges of the first group of missiles.

Though I think for the best control of the missile you'd have to kill your spin within 90 seconds or so of igniting the first salvo. Otherwise your own spin prevents the ship from maintaining a solid sensor lock and fire control link on the target.

Larger ship didn't bother trying the spinning double-broadside because they didn't spin as quickly - and I think would take longer to build up or cancel out spin. If they wanted a double-broadside they'd simply accept the longer delays and lower firing rated needed to pump 2 launched from the same broadside before missile drive activation.

I think the only vessels we've seen using the spinning double broadside have been destroyers and maybe light cruisers. CAs, BCs, BBs, and definitely DNs and SDs are too unhandy to use that technique,
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Is there a reason LACs can't swim missiles out with a delay to arrive all at once as well? IINM, LACs have single shot magazines?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:12 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

old style LACs had one shot missile boxes.

As far as I know there is no reason a modern LAC couldn't fire missiles with delayed activation.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:25 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:old style LACs had one shot missile boxes.

As far as I know there is no reason a modern LAC couldn't fire missiles with delayed activation.

The missiles on a Ferret/Shrike are all fired out of their front aspect - you would need to make sure the missiles are not delayed sufficiently that they are still in the path of the ship's wedge as the ship accelerates forward. It's never been stated IIRC how much aiming is done via the missile tube's grav launcher, or if it merely chucks the missile out a pre-defined path. We know, for example, that lasers/grasers can be aimed and the side wall opening is actually the final lensing of the weapon (which tracks with the weapon). If the tubes don't aim (and there is no reason they would), the waiting missiles have potentially merely been thrown on the road in front of the on-charging ship.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:02 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Though at some point you exceed the number of missiles it can simultaneously control. And LACs probably have less excess fire control (for redundancy or pods) than larger hyper-capable warships.

So even though you could in theory delay launch a Ferret's entire magazine in one go it probably can't control most of those missiles if it does that.

And as it was pointed out that RMN/GSN LACs fire forwards, so the LAC wouldn't be able to accelerate while stacking all these missiles; otherwise it would quickly run into the coasting missiles ahead of it. (The missile launch tubes don't impart all that much velocity)

But if you're willing to coast while stacking missiles I don't see any reason a LAC wouldn't be able to stack multiple salvos for a simultaneous delayed activation. (They'd just be restricted to how many salvos they could actually control; with any in excess of that being little more than very expensive and not very effective blind-fired decoys)
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:24 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

Though at some point you exceed the number of missiles it can simultaneously control. And LACs probably have less excess fire control (for redundancy or pods) than larger hyper-capable warships.

So even though you could in theory delay launch a Ferret's entire magazine in one go it probably can't control most of those missiles if it does that.

And as it was pointed out that RMN/GSN LACs fire forwards, so the LAC wouldn't be able to accelerate while stacking all these missiles; otherwise it would quickly run into the coasting missiles ahead of it. (The missile launch tubes don't impart all that much velocity)

But if you're willing to coast while stacking missiles I don't see any reason a LAC wouldn't be able to stack multiple salvos for a simultaneous delayed activation. (They'd just be restricted to how many salvos they could actually control; with any in excess of that being little more than very expensive and not very effective blind-fired decoys)

Another point I just remembered, Shrike revolver launchers cycle in 2 seconds, so the entire 20 missiles a Shrike carries are launched in about 10 seconds, vs. the ~8 seconds a DD/CL missile launcher takes to cycle. In short, a Shrike launch is pretty much coming in as one lengthy salvo anyway, very little ballistic coast is required. More importantly, Shrikes are meant to work in groups, so a single integrated salvo is created by 6 ships, not one.

Return to Honorverse