Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 146 guests

Collin's assassination list

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Collin's assassination list
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Question. Don't the nanites have a shelf life? Whatever interdisciplinary expert it would take, should be able to suggest that the nanites would have a shelf life. If someone is captured and suiciding is triggered by queries, they can simply be put on ice for a couple of years. Or do the nanites kill the subject if their nanites are not refreshed?

Wouldn't the nanites also go on ice, thus extend their shelf life by the same amount?

Oops, I really must stop these drive-by shootings of mine. I meant the second and third meanings of the phrase.

on ice
[on ice]
DEFINITION

2. Delay. Defer. Postpone. (especially of a plan or proposal) held in reserve for future consideration.

"The recommendation was put on ice"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:10 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Or do the nanites kill the subject if their nanites are not refreshed?

It was my impression, in one of the more recent books, that at least some people get a nanite control that will kill them if they do not check in periodically. I do not remember where I read that and do not know how widespread this is. I believe that the refresh was part of a periodic physical exam, so could not be given to most field agents that do not visit Mesa (or now Darius).
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Time limited nanite suicide treatments were being used on Mesa. That undercover (non-seccie) agent hit his time maximum while in the hands of Cachat and died. That he needed to have periodic resets was mentioned in the text as background before he spotted Zilwicki and the security head of Gamma Center.

Remember, this was someone who was on-planet and withing the Mesan/Alighment security enforcement/undercover forces. He would be regularly reporting back and scheduled to come in for things (like medical visits) and not going years or decades off planet. .
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Time limited nanite suicide treatments were being used on Mesa. That undercover (non-seccie) agent hit his time maximum while in the hands of Cachat and died. That he needed to have periodic resets was mentioned in the text as background before he spotted Zilwicki and the security head of Gamma Center.

Remember, this was someone who was on-planet and withing the Mesan/Alighment security enforcement/undercover forces. He would be regularly reporting back and scheduled to come in for things (like medical visits) and not going years or decades off planet. .

I remember discussing the possibility in a thread, but I don't recall it happening. BTW, I can't believe Daddy Detweiler allowed himself to be cornered. Why would the MA risk its most valuable asset? But then, the RMN risked Honor on a mission to cut worms. Peripheral systems?

I know, I know. She wasn't always the MVP.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:11 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Time limited nanite suicide treatments were being used on Mesa. That undercover (non-seccie) agent hit his time maximum while in the hands of Cachat and died. That he needed to have periodic resets was mentioned in the text as background before he spotted Zilwicki and the security head of Gamma Center.

cthia wrote:I remember discussing the possibility in a thread, but I don't recall it happening. BTW, I can't believe Daddy Detweiler allowed himself to be cornered. Why would the MA risk its most valuable asset? But then, the RMN risked Honor on a mission to cut worms. Peripheral systems?

He was stubborn and refused to go until everyone else was in transit. There was no one that could order hin to behave differently.
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

cthia wrote:I remember discussing the possibility in a thread, but I don't recall it happening. BTW, I can't believe Daddy Detweiler allowed himself to be cornered. Why would the MA risk its most valuable asset? But then, the RMN risked Honor on a mission to cut worms. Peripheral systems?

He was stubborn and refused to go until everyone else was in transit. There was no one that could order hin to behave differently.

Now we can see the logic in Oscar's regime using StateSec goons to ride herd on the Navy. Perhaps the RF should ride herd on the Onion. I understand the RF is at the top of the food chain anyway, and the Onion is blowing it with its malodorous odors.

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:10 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Now we can see the logic in Oscar's regime using StateSec goons to ride herd on the Navy. Perhaps the RF should ride herd on the Onion. I understand the RF is at the top of the food chain anyway, and the Onion is blowing it with its malodorous odors.

What? Neither metaphor made sense to me. What food chain are you saying the RF is at the top of? It can't be the food chain of sovereign states nor the internal MAlign politics.

Unless you tried to be ironic.
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Now we can see the logic in Oscar's regime using StateSec goons to ride herd on the Navy. Perhaps the RF should ride herd on the Onion. I understand the RF is at the top of the food chain anyway, and the Onion is blowing it with its malodorous odors.

What? Neither metaphor made sense to me. What food chain are you saying the RF is at the top of? It can't be the food chain of sovereign states nor the internal MAlign politics.

Unless you tried to be ironic.

Wasn't trying to be ironic this time. Instead I misquoted the facts. It is the LRPB at the top of the food chain. Which I never understood. Did Daddy D. lose control of his vision to a Board of Directors? He sold too many stock? LOL

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:40 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Wasn't trying to be ironic this time. Instead I misquoted the facts. It is the LRPB at the top of the food chain. Which I never understood. Did Daddy D. lose control of his vision to a Board of Directors? He sold too many stock? LOL

I don't think you've got it right. The order is probably:
  1. A. Detweiler (deceased)
  2. B through G Detweiler
  3. LRPB
  4. RF leadership
  5. Bardasano (deceased), Anisimovna, and others like them (inner Onion Alpha lines)

Though the RF leadership probably reported directly to Albrecht (and probably now Benjamin), I figure they're subordinate to the LRPB's decisions.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Wasn't trying to be ironic this time. Instead I misquoted the facts. It is the LRPB at the top of the food chain. Which I never understood. Did Daddy D. lose control of his vision to a Board of Directors? He sold too many stock? LOL

I don't think you've got it right. The order is probably:
  1. A. Detweiler (deceased)
  2. B through G Detweiler
  3. LRPB
  4. RF leadership
  5. Bardasano (deceased), Anisimovna, and others like them (inner Onion Alpha lines)

Though the RF leadership probably reported directly to Albrecht (and probably now Benjamin), I figure they're subordinate to the LRPB's decisions.

Well, I agree with your hierarchy, or it is how I intuited it as well. But the forum came to the conclusion the LRPB calls the shots. It came as a complete surprise and shock to me. Another missed memo. Seems you didn't get it either.

The thread.

By the behavior of the Detweilers, they have no one to answer to. If they do, the LRPB needs to reign in its misfits.

Return to Honorverse