Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests

What happens to all that debris?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What happens to all that debris?
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ZVar wrote:
cthia wrote: But, can ships enter hyperspace near the wormhole? And return at that same locus from hyperspace?

Define near.
The MJW has a hyper limt of "less than a million KM" as per OBS. Inside is like inside any star or planet's hyper limit, and outside is well, outside.

Thanks ZVar. Problem is, I never knew why, or what would happen if a ship attempted hyper inside the hyper limit in the HV. Some sci-fi works would have the ship explode. Some would destroy a planet if within it's gravity well. I'm sure trying to enter hyper within a wormhole's hyper limit wouldn't do anything to the wormhole or an enemy would do it intentionally. But does the ship explode or simply fail to hyper?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:52 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:So, if when Haven holds Tervor's Star and is contemplating using it to do what Fillerta ended up trying to do much later, they would have had a fleet waiting just on the Trevor's Star end of the wormhole for a ship to come though with the message that the way was open.

Ok......so other than mines and junction forts, what else could you do to complicate a hostile transit. You could park obsticals in the exit lane. A bit more than large concrete blocks would be nessisary of course.
Perhaps you have a couple of x-Peep SDs that you brought back to the MBS but have determined that they arn't worth refitting though you could strip a lot things out of them and use them as block ships. Now you really can't put full time crews on them as you are going to use them in a manner inconsistant with the health and welfare of any crew. So you set them up as essentialy really large remote control drones and use their wedges as weapons. Have to provide station-keeping ability relative to the exit point of the wormhole from Trevor's Star and really really really close to the point at which ships would materialize. So you have the wedge up on several of these and layer them staggared out from the exit point such that anything comming out is going to at least hit the wedge if not wedge AND the SD. That should make quite the mess of anything transiting the wormhole right after it does that and the debris is going to continue "down" and out from the exit point at - to some extent- at the very low speed that the exiting ship brought with it through the wormhole.

Well you can't use wedges that close to the exit point. From the data RFC's post provided at Trevor's Star you can't use wedges within 10,000 km of there and at the Junction itself not with 90,000 km.

If you want sacrificial SDs parked close to the exit they'd have to be holding position under sail. Still, seems like that could possibly work.

Of course since you've no way to know what will come through - and no way to send a signal ahead - you'd only resort to that if you were happy to have that leg of the Junction totally shut down.

OTOH nobody was likely to survive an assault through the Junction in the first place. And anybody able to defeat all the modern forts ringing the place will make very short work of the block-SDs - since even fully operational modern SDs are hideously vulnerable when stuck in the grav effects, under sail, and unable to use sidewalls, CMs, missiles, or decoys due to being in what it very like a grav wave reaching a short way into normal space.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:55 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Thanks ZVar. Problem is, I never knew why, or what would happen if a ship attempted hyper inside the hyper limit in the HV. Some sci-fi works would have the ship explode. Some would destroy a planet if within it's gravity well. I'm sure trying to enter hyper within a wormhole's hyper limit wouldn't do anything to the wormhole or an enemy would do it intentionally. But does the ship explode or simply fail to hyper?

Hmm, it's stuck in my head that trying to enter hyper while within an Honorverse hyper limit is basically harmless. You don't go anywhere, and the ship takes no damage. You would presumably drain the charge out of the hyper generator though - so depending on ship size it might be up to 35 minutes or so before you could try again.

OTOH I can't remember what I read that made that stick in my head, so take with a major grain of salt.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:03 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:We don't know what would happen to a gaggle of ships trying to transit which exceed the mass limitation. Whether they are destroyed, hit a brick wall or if they simply continue on beyond the wormhole in n-space. Which brings me to another question. Can the wormhole be entered from the opposite direction? I wouldn't think it can. But, can ships enter hyperspace near the wormhole? And return at that same locus from hyperspace?

There is a reason we are discussing emergence and exit lanes - and it isn't just for routing purposes. You have to approach from a certain vector and use your sails and hyper to engage the wormhole. Anything not bound to sail will not go through, because it is the sails pulling the ship through the wormhole.

The whole area around a wormhole is filled with "random" grav eddies and currents which make just "sitting there" difficult, and keep ships from entering hyper - the size varies, but can be a million km across or so.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:06 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Thanks ZVar. Problem is, I never knew why, or what would happen if a ship attempted hyper inside the hyper limit in the HV. Some sci-fi works would have the ship explode. Some would destroy a planet if within it's gravity well. I'm sure trying to enter hyper within a wormhole's hyper limit wouldn't do anything to the wormhole or an enemy would do it intentionally. But does the ship explode or simply fail to hyper?

Hmm, it's stuck in my head that trying to enter hyper while within an Honorverse hyper limit is basically harmless. You don't go anywhere, and the ship takes no damage. You would presumably drain the charge out of the hyper generator though - so depending on ship size it might be up to 35 minutes or so before you could try again.

OTOH I can't remember what I read that made that stick in my head, so take with a major grain of salt.

that's my memory as well for an upward translation in a hyperlimit. downward, the outer 2/3rd? will have the ship bounce off with minor damage, the inner 1/3rds? loses the ship.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Hmm, it's stuck in my head that trying to enter hyper while within an Honorverse hyper limit is basically harmless. You don't go anywhere, and the ship takes no damage. You would presumably drain the charge out of the hyper generator though - so depending on ship size it might be up to 35 minutes or so before you could try again.

that's my memory as well for an upward translation in a hyperlimit. downward, the outer 2/3rd? will have the ship bounce off with minor damage, the inner 1/3rds? loses the ship.

Dowards is the outer 1/5th (20%) actually. I did find that again while looking for entering hyper; it's in EoH.
Echoes of Honor wrote:A ship which attempted to translate out of hyper inside a star's hyper limit couldn't. As long as it made the attempt within the outer twenty percent of the hyper limit, all that happened was that it couldn't get into n-space. If it made the attempt any further in than that, however, Bad Things happened. Someone had once described the result as using a pulse cannon to fire soft-boiled eggs at a stone wall to see if they would bounce.
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Echoes of Honor wrote:A ship which attempted to translate out of hyper inside a star's hyper limit couldn't. As long as it made the attempt within the outer twenty percent of the hyper limit, all that happened was that it couldn't get into n-space. If it made the attempt any further in than that, however, Bad Things happened. Someone had once described the result as using a pulse cannon to fire soft-boiled eggs at a stone wall to see if they would bounce.

So,

There is a chance of total ship destruction, as it is in other sci-fi.

Not trying to bust the author's balls, but that passage seems a bit inconsistent. Intuitively it seems that either something bad happens when trying to enter hyper at all points inside a gravity well or nothing happens. Albeit, in some sci-fi the planet is destroyed when operating deep inside a gravity well.

"Bouncing" off with "little damage" seems a bit vague. And what about casualties? Where do you bounce to? How far do you bounce from the locus of hyper initiation? Can it be used as a last ditch effort to avoid an stl weapon or an avalanche of missiles?

This "bouncing" also gets stuck in my craw. I know the ships are built to be somewhat robust. But bouncing? It reminds me of cringing everytime the Enterprise is hit with a torpedo, the ship absorbs the shock and the crew is tossed about like rag dolls. (I never understood why Kirk was the only one who was provided with a seat belt.)

But I digress. A ship absorbs energy even thru it's shields so why not thru it's sidewalls? I always imagine the crew in the HV getting tossed around as well. Where am I leading? Ramming a ship with a missile should be destructive. But we've beat that horse quite a bit, so I'll just go sit in a corner like "Baby."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:48 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

So,

Not trying to bust the author's balls, but that passage seems a bit inconsistent. Intuitively it seems that either something bad happens when trying to enter hyper at all points inside a gravity well or nothing happens. Albeit, in some sci-fi the planet is destroyed when operating deep inside a gravity well.

"Bouncing" off with "little damage" seems a bit vague. And what about casualties? Where do you bounce to? How far do you bounce from the locus of hyper initiation? Can it be used as a last ditch effort to avoid an stl weapon or an avalanche of missiles?

This "bouncing" also gets stuck in my craw. I know the ships are built to be somewhat robust. But bouncing? It reminds me of cringing everytime the Enterprise is hit with a torpedo, the ship absorbs the shock and the crew is tossed about like rag dolls. (I never understood why Kirk was the only one who was provided with a seat belt.)

But I digress. A ship absorbs energy even thru it's shields so why not thru it's sidewalls? I always imagine the crew in the HV getting tossed around as well. Where am I leading? Ramming a ship with a missile should be destructive. But we've beat that horse quite a bit, so I'll just go sit in a corner like "Baby."

Um - that passed only talks about exiting hyper.

We still haven't located any text-ev or RFC posts about what might if you try to enter hyper from within the system's hyper limit.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

So,

Bouncing was my word, not David's. If you try to a transition downwards from hyper in the outer 1/5 of a hyperlimit, you will simply stay in hyper - I cannot believe the result would be pleasant, especially if trying the same in the inner 4/5ths would destroy your ship.

Shields are not sidewalls. Shields were supposed to be a tech that deflects/absorbs energy/matter. Sidewalls are bands of dense, flowing gravity fields that bend light and sheers matter at a molecular level - like a deep gravity field would. Light rays bend, change frequencies and diffuse, making them less coherent when they emerge on the far side of the sidewall

As for the Enterprise - it would shake if the writers decided on any given day that dropping an untoasted bagel in Engineering should knock the captain off his chair. Their "Tech the tech" attitude to writing the story made every episode very plot driven and completely inconsistent as a series. I wouldn't try to make any comparisons between the 2 series.

(The "Tech the Tech" is from NG series Writer Ronald D Moore. He said that whenever they needed technology to do something to move the plot along, they would write "tech the tech" in the early scripts, and later wrote in some techno gobbledygook to fit the plot. It was totally inconsistent, plot driven and totally unrealistic/scientific. If there was any science involved, it was a science advisor trying to retroactively explain how something could happen.)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:17 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:As for the Enterprise - it would shake if the writers decided on any given day that dropping an untoasted bagel in Engineering should knock the captain off his chair. Their "Tech the tech" attitude to writing the story made every episode very plot driven and completely inconsistent as a series. I wouldn't try to make any comparisons between the 2 series.

It would shake with such wildly-varying gravity fields that different people on the bridge would be thrown off in different directions! The gravity shear also causes consoles to explode despite 20th century technology known as "circuit breakers" and transformed the duotronic and multitronic circuitry into lumps of inert matter that, if you didn't know better, would make you conclude the consoles were full of rocks inside.

Return to Honorverse