Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 133 guests

Plastic model

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Plastic model
Post by kzt   » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:51 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Wow. That’s way more work than I expected. But nice.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:22 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:https://imgur.com/gallery/IixES51

Sigh... not even two minutes after uploading the pics, someone HAD to make a comment based on what kzt was referring to.

Nice ship Maxx! And you're not satisfied with the level of detail??? That thing is so awesome that certain scenes flashed in my head. Like when Grayson saw their first one and were like kids in the candy store. Now I see why!

Just a lighthearted observation. You said your printer could barely handle it? Just think if you tried a black one to scale. The bigassed damn ships the SLN scream about. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:16 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:

Sigh... not even two minutes after uploading the pics, someone HAD to make a comment based on what kzt was referring to.

Nice ship Maxx! And you're not satisfied with the level of detail??? That thing is so awesome that certain scenes flashed in my head. Like when Grayson saw their first one and were like kids in the candy store. Now I see why!

Just a lighthearted observation. You said your printer could barely handle it? Just think if you tried a black one to scale. The bigassed damn ships the SLN scream about. :lol:

The printer can handle the size just fine. I just need to break the model into smaller pieces (in Blender, my 3D modeling software) to print it. What the printer can't handle is the very fine detail. Look closely at the tips of the impeller nodes. There's supposed to be a little nub there, but they just fall apart at that size.

At some point, I'd like to do a Nike at the same scale. It'll be nearly twice the size as the Fearless. For now, I'm working up a larger scale Fearless, so the detail issues should be easier to deal with, if not gone.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

MaxxQ wrote:The printer can handle the size just fine. I just need to break the model into smaller pieces (in Blender, my 3D modeling software) to print it. What the printer can't handle is the very fine detail. Look closely at the tips of the impeller nodes. There's supposed to be a little nub there, but they just fall apart at that size.

At some point, I'd like to do a Nike at the same scale. It'll be nearly twice the size as the Fearless. For now, I'm working up a larger scale Fearless, so the detail issues should be easier to deal with, if not gone.

Cool. I'm getting warm cozy feelings of a time long ago when I coveted model cars, airplanes and wet Navy ships. Laboring for hours on end while sniffing glue then painstakingly painting them, then whew. Realizing the fun has just begun because the decals were always a beeotch. Thanks for the memories!

Any chance you'll sell any? On the Black Market? We can meet somewhere in the Verge. :mrgreen:

Thought about presenting David with one?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:48 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Nice ship Maxx! And you're not satisfied with the level of detail??? That thing is so awesome that certain scenes flashed in my head. Like when Grayson saw their first one and were like kids in the candy store. Now I see why!

MaxxQ wrote:The printer can handle the size just fine. I just need to break the model into smaller pieces (in Blender, my 3D modeling software) to print it. What the printer can't handle is the very fine detail. Look closely at the tips of the impeller nodes. There's supposed to be a little nub there, but they just fall apart at that size.

cthia wrote:Cool. I'm getting warm cozy feelings of a time long ago when I coveted model cars, airplanes and wet Navy ships. Laboring for hours on end while sniffing glue then painstakingly painting them, then whew. Realizing the fun has just begun because the decals were always a beeotch. Thanks for the memories!

Any chance you'll sell any? On the Black Market? We can meet somewhere in the Verge. :mrgreen:

Thought about presenting David with one?

If you do plan on presenting one to David, don't tell anyone when or where, or you stand a good chance of being mugged by rabid fans <raises hand>.

Absolutely fabulous model - looking forward to seeing additional models.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Even if you were selling them on the Black Market in the Verge, dunno which ship I'd commission. Since I'm a member of Honor's inner circle, because I first hypered into the HV by way of the OBS junction, I suppose the original Fearless would be my cup of tea. No coffee. No cream. However, Grayson's Harrington has a certain appeal sitting in a glass case with a plaque saying "Lady Harrington and No Mercy!"

But hey, I'm willing to settle for a life-sized statue of the Salamander and Nimitz found on Grayson. It'd be a hell of a conversation piece, with narration it was bought on the Black Market out in the Verge, delivered by a freighter whose costs were more than the masterpiece itself! LOL

Which ship would be appropriate for THE wizard?

Post by ZVar   » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:03 pm

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:Which ship would be appropriate for THE wizard?

GNS Honor Harrington of course. :)
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:36 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

that is seriously cool!!
well done indeed.

one little thing that made me smile - those drive nodes looked just like two heavy duty dog collars for some nasty mastiff!
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ZVar wrote:
cthia wrote:Which ship would be appropriate for THE wizard?

GNS Honor Harrington of course. :)

:oops: Dunno why I wasn't sure. It should be a limited run of one. Remember, her name was changed to protect Honor's innocence. :lol:

Post by tlb   » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:30 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ZVar wrote:GNS Honor Harrington of course. :)

cthia wrote: Dunno why I wasn't sure. It should be a limited run of one. Remember, her name was changed to protect Honor's innocence.

The Graysons refused to change the name. It was the RMN that changed the name back to the Medusa class.

Return to Honorverse