Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests

Plastic model

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Plastic model
Post by phillies   » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:05 am

phillies
Admiral

Did anyone ever sell a plastic model or toy representing a Harrington Class SD at a reasonable physical size, say a foot long?
Re: Plastic model
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:15 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Did anyone ever sell a plastic model or toy representing a Harrington Class SD at a reasonable physical size, say a foot long?

Thingiverse has several fan designed models. If you know someone with a 3d printer, they could print you one.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:02 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Did anyone ever sell a plastic model or toy representing a Harrington Class SD at a reasonable physical size, say a foot long?

You can find vaguely dimensional appropriate 'models' at 'adult' stores. Though they are called something else... :P
Post by phillies   » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:59 pm

phillies
Admiral

I don't think you understood my question.

kzt wrote:

You can find vaguely dimensional appropriate 'models' at 'adult' stores. Though they are called something else... :P
Post by kzt   » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:I don't think you understood my question.

Oh I did. David was kind of shocked when someone did a drawing of what he described...
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:36 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

https://imgur.com/gallery/IixES51

Sigh... not even two minutes after uploading the pics, someone HAD to make a comment based on what kzt was referring to.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:https://imgur.com/gallery/IixES51

Sigh... not even two minutes after uploading the pics, someone HAD to make a comment based on what kzt was referring to.

Nice 3D model!
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:47 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Jonathan_S wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:https://imgur.com/gallery/IixES51

Nice 3D model!

Thanks. Figured it was about time I did something physical with all those CG renders I did. That, and I bought a 3D printer to play around with :mrgreen:
Post by kzt   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:49 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Nice work. Was this painted and sanded or did it come out of the printer like that?
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:24 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

kzt wrote:Nice work. Was this painted and sanded or did it come out of the printer like that?

The printer can only handle 230mm x 230mm x 250mm, so the main hull was printed out in 5 parts, glued together, primed with filler/primer (three coats, with heavy sanding in between) with a final, smooth-sanded layer of regular primer. At that point, I glued on all the detail bits, which were barely large enough for the printer to handle that level of detail. After that, a couple light coats of white overall, and brush-painted details.

Still not completely happy with the way it turned out, and I suspect a resin printer will be able to handle the finer detail needed for this scale. My filament printer can probably do it with a smaller nozzle (standard is 0.4mm, I can go down to a 0.2mm nozzle) and the right settings, but I wanted to get this one done, so didn't spend too long fiddling around with my slicer (Cura) settings.

Return to Honorverse