Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests

Mesan Alignment post war

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Mesan Alignment post war
Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:Again, the whole stink of the sins of the father could wash over them. The philosophy is that the "consequences" of one generation passes to the next. And the next.* There must be a conscious attempt to break the cycle. You posit that attempt as fuel for the discussion. But how successful would it be? Will the sins of past generations, if they have not been properly atoned, sprout from dormant seeds? Remember, these people have to fit into a completely new society quite different than their own.

I do not believe that the "sins of the father" has much hold between nations.

Perhaps the sins has NO hold between nation's at all. What the sins of the father does have is a hold and impact against the sons. It also has a hold on people's perceptions of the sons.

Post WWII the Western Allies partnered with Germany and Japan (after both societies took steps to divorce their militaristic past) against the USSR and China, who had previously been part of the Allies. Governmental leaders are much more concerned with what is happening now or is expected to happen in the near future, than what happened in the distant past or might happen in the distant future. This view is short sighted, but usually there is enough present trouble to keep everyone fully occupied.

Remember how the sins of Haven's fathers hindered the efforts of the restored Republic? The sins of the father is an impediment, it is a disease that cannot be escaped. It is an inheritance. God help me for this one, but. It is Karma.

I believe that is what Sigs is positing, that enough time has passed that even a society with prolong has moved on. So if this newly encountered civilization seems peaceful, then the encounter should prove peaceful.

Exactly, but, the inheritance from the father is deeply ingrained in ways that may not be obvious to all parties involved. Sleeper societies. Deeply ingrained cultural differences. Deeply ingrained humanitarian differences. There will be remnants of their history that will unravel their efforts. See, sins of the previous Havenite regime following them forward and giving Eloise hell.

Will the new regime "accept" the evil the previous generations did? Will they offer reparations? If not, how can there be peace? How can the Treecats accept them if they don't admit to the atrocity -- as indeed being committed, as indeed being atrocious?

America is facing those same questions now. And, it, must, answer. For there to be peace. From truth, peace is born.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Sigs   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Sigs
Rear Admiral

tlb wrote:As for whether this hypothetical outpost of the Malign would choose to live in peace because to do otherwise would "take significant resources and manpower and would carry inherent risk of defeat"; you must have a more idealistic view of human nature than I have. It seems to me that people have gone into every war with the recognition that it would "take significant resources and manpower and would carry inherent risk of defeat".

There is a big difference between invading human occupied space and conquering thousands of systems and what they had originally planned which was to destroy the SL, blunt the Republic and the RF becomes one of if not the biggest nation in Human explored galaxy, an island of safety, strength and stability.

If there is MA nation far removed from humanity, they will be a little more hesitant if they face 4,000-5,000 SD(P)'s from the SLN, 4,000-5,000 SD(P)'s from the GA and 5,000 SD(P)'s from the rest galaxy along with 4,5 or 10 trillion people. They will be operating under the constraints of a nation not a rogue organization.

The MA would have to look at their situation and try to figure out how they can defeat and conquer humanity and at some point it becomes too much even for the galactic superman.
Post by Sigs   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:40 pm

Sigs
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:The whole philosophy of "The sins of the father" comes to mind.

Upon reappearing after so long, the GA may have to be able to definitively prove - not just to themselves but to the galaxy - that they are the perpetrator of past crimes.

The people who suffered because of the attacks are long dead, and the people who authorised and launched those attacks are also long dead. What if they showed up 1,200 years later, 4 or 5 generations down the line would the MA be absolved of the crimes their great-great-great-great grand parents committed against the great-great-great-great grand parents of another nation.
Post by tlb   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:05 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:As for whether this hypothetical outpost of the Malign would choose to live in peace because to do otherwise would "take significant resources and manpower and would carry inherent risk of defeat"; you must have a more idealistic view of human nature than I have. It seems to me that people have gone into every war with the recognition that it would "take significant resources and manpower and would carry inherent risk of defeat".

Sigs wrote:There is a big difference between invading human occupied space and conquering thousands of systems and what they had originally planned which was to destroy the SL, blunt the Republic and the RF becomes one of if not the biggest nation in Human explored galaxy, an island of safety, strength and stability.

If there is MA nation far removed from humanity, they will be a little more hesitant if they face 4,000-5,000 SD(P)'s from the SLN, 4,000-5,000 SD(P)'s from the GA and 5,000 SD(P)'s from the rest galaxy along with 4,5 or 10 trillion people. They will be operating under the constraints of a nation not a rogue organization.

The MA would have to look at their situation and try to figure out how they can defeat and conquer humanity and at some point it becomes too much even for the galactic superman.

There is not reason to believe those numbers for Super Dreadnoughts.

Anyway the RF was intended to conquer all inhabited space in the end; only that way could they implement their eugenics program that was expected to kill so many people.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:10 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Anyway the RF was intended to conquer all inhabited space in the end; only that way could they implement their eugenics program that was expected to kill so many people.

The dialogue with the movie directors, erm, I mean, RF leadership, did not make clear how the RF was supposed to expand. But I didn't get the feeling it was via conquest.

It seems to me they'd play a carrot-and-stick solution: the RF is the carrot and the MAN the stick, with the Leonard Detweilers.
Post by tlb   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:41 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Anyway the RF was intended to conquer all inhabited space in the end; only that way could they implement their eugenics program that was expected to kill so many people.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:The dialogue with the movie directors, erm, I mean, RF leadership, did not make clear how the RF was supposed to expand. But I didn't get the feeling it was via conquest.

It seems to me they'd play a carrot-and-stick solution: the RF is the carrot and the MAN the stick, with the Leonard Detweilers.

Perhaps, but there clearly would be coercion once they started implementing the genetic control board. Also they wanted to do that for all populations and I do not see how it would work without military force.
Post by kzt   » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:12 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:The dialogue with the movie directors, erm, I mean, RF leadership, did not make clear how the RF was supposed to expand. But I didn't get the feeling it was via conquest.

Nah. The will use the RMN. Plant some evidence and have them charge in like a bull in a china shop, making friends everywhere.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Sigs wrote:
cthia wrote:The whole philosophy of "The sins of the father" comes to mind.

Upon reappearing after so long, the GA may have to be able to definitively prove - not just to themselves but to the galaxy - that they are the perpetrator of past crimes.

The people who suffered because of the attacks are long dead, and the people who authorised and launched those attacks are also long dead. What if they showed up 1,200 years later, 4 or 5 generations down the line would the MA be absolved of the crimes their great-great-great-great grand parents committed against the great-great-great-great grand parents of another nation.

Time does not erase the atrocity of murder. Nothing erases the atrocity of murder. The stain will always be there.

Responding to your question directly, if nobody is left alive who cares, then the MA is free to live a changed life. They are free to travel a new path. But, again, the sins of the fathers infects, and the disease sets up deeply in the marrow of the bones. Let me give you just a few examples, by proxy, by perception, of their sins ...

tlb wrote:Perhaps, but there clearly would be coercion once they started implementing the genetic control board. Also they wanted to do that for all populations and I do not see how it would work without military force.
kzt wrote:Nah. The will use the RMN. Plant some evidence and have them charge in like a bull in a china shop, making friends everywhere.

Every MO above is wrapped in sin. It is not from the milk of human kindness that wants to live in peace. If the MA changes its game and wants to live in peace and emerges five generations later, then they have a chance to do it in peace. But only if the destructive turtle has completely cast off its old shell. Do you know what that entails?

What will they do with the sleeper societies who still pass down to the chosen ones, who and what they are? Will they "deal" with those loose strings in the manner they are accustomed? If so, that implies the same old regime.

What about the slave lines? Will they continue to produce people who have a limited shelf life, using them like pure machines? If so, that implies the same old regime.

Will they continue to cull, from babies to adults? They are after perfection and their tolerance of anything less is currently met with the guillotine. If their "perfect lines" begin to show significant imperfections like insanity, homicidal tendencies, schizophrenia, etc., do they also get culled? Will these people be allowed to seek medical help from other medical establishments to correct, or treat, their problem? Like, (cough) Beowulf? Nope? Same old regime.

Will they allow the sub lines to be a part of the government? Nope? Same old regime.

Will there still be an Onion? Inner? Outer? Same old regime.

Will they renounce the use of nanites as a weapon like biological warfare? No? Same old regime.

Can some of their most hideous creations live amongst humanity? Will Darius forever be hidden? Why? If they are a changed society who come on peace, why hide?

Will continued research and further alterations to their genetic code be carried out humanely, or will they continue to cut corners, cull babies, and feed the meat grinder?

Will their research be shared with the galaxy? The MA has a lot to overcome. Tackling their own history is the biggest challenge. Especially with the sins of the father as the shell on its back. It's not impossible to do, simply improbable.

And remember, no more clones! If they want to live in peace.

Late Edit! BTW, when they use their new technology, people will know and remember. The Memory Singers will play that song.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:37 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:And remember, no more clones! If they want to live in peace.

Clones are permitted in the Beowulf Code and Manticore Law; from Echoes of Honor, chapter 4:
"For that matter, there's another possibility entirely," Prestwick pointed out. Both of the others looked at him, and he shrugged. "I'm quite certain Lady Harrington's mother has samples of the Steadholder's genetic material, which means it would almost certainly be possible to produce a child of Lady Harrington's even at this date. Or even a direct clone, for that matter!"
"I think we'd better not start getting into those orbits," Benjamin cautioned. "Certainly not without consulting Reverend Sullivan and the Sacristy first, at any rate!" He shuddered at the mere thought of how the more conservative of his subjects might react to the Chancellor's musings. "Besides, a clone would probably only make matters worse. If I remember correctly—and I'm not certain I do, without looking it up—the Star Kingdom's legal code adheres to the Beowulf Life Sciences Code, just as the Solarian League's does."
"Which means?" Clinkscales asked, clearly intrigued by the notion.
"Which means, first of all, that it's completely illegal to use a dead individual's genetic material unless that individual's will or other legal declaration specifically authorized the use. And secondly, it means that a clone is a child of its donor parent or parents, with all the legal protections of any other sentient being, but it is not the same person, and posthumous cloning cannot be used to circumvent the normal laws of inheritance."
"You mean that if Lady Harrington had had herself cloned before her death, then her clone would legally have been her child and could have inherited her title, but that if we have her cloned now, the child couldn't inherit?" Prestwick said, and Benjamin nodded.
"That's exactly what I mean, although it's also possible—and legal—for someone to stipulate in his will that he be cloned following his death and that his posthumous clone inherit. But no one can make that decision for him, which would be essentially what we would be doing if we decided to clone Lady Harrington at this point to solve our difficulties. And if you think about it, there's some sound reasoning behind the prohibition. For example, suppose some unscrupulous relative managed to arrange the death of someone like Klaus Hauptman or Lady Harrington without getting caught. And then that same relative had his victim cloned and himself appointed as the clone child's guardian, thus controlling the Hauptman Cartel—or Harrington Steading—until the clone attained his majority and inherited? And that doesn't even consider the sticky question of when a will would properly be probated! I mean, if a second party could legally produce a posthumous duplicate of the person who wrote the will, would that duplicate's existence supersede the will? Would the clone be entitled to sue those to whom 'his' estate had already legally been distributed—in exact accordance with his 'own' legally written and witnessed directions—for recovery of assets? The ramifications could go on and on forever."
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Sigs, in support of your posts. (BTW, it's a perfectly valid proposition) ...

When I first encountered your premise, I wondered what the hell could have happened on Darius to make the MA see the light. By jove I've got it!

An uprising! A civil war! The slaves on Darius heard about the exploits of one particular slave. Jeremy X. Information cannot be stifled. The grapevine will find an ear, even on Darius. Just as Honor's exploits preceded her to Hell, so too has Jeremy's heroism been carried to the ears of the slaves on Darius to spark an uprising.

CIVIL WAR ON DARIUS!

@tlb;

Thanks for the textev. It is not clones, per se, that is the problem. The problem is cloning Leonard, the original instigator of the horrific plan and crimes. If you truly turn over a new leaf, you must shed the evil, or images of evil, that existed in your past.

In current America those symbols are represented by the Confederate flag, Confederate statues, Confederate names, etc., just to name a few.

Again, walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

Return to Honorverse