Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 123 guests

Did the MBS corner the market on trade?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Did the MBS corner the market on trade?
Post by Theemile   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:28 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:
cthia wrote:We have discussed Manticore's high-handed trade policies affecting Haven and the SL. How did it affect the Andermani? Whose economy and expansionistic nature, like Haven, should have depended even more on trade.

Well, Manticore has a lot of merchant shipping trading in Silesia, but so does the SL, and we have to presume there are ships from Matapan, Asgard, Haven (well, that could be iffy during the war) Erwhon and places like the Judean League. Not sure if SEM or SL has more in terms of numbers and we don't know what the numbers are for the Andermani though they are the closest (for home system and other systems) in terms of actual hyperspace. Even Manticore doesn't get closer than using the juntion routes via Gregor or Basilisk as would the SL.

From some of the books, some the Andermani are annoyed with the arrogance of Manticorians but mostly that was talked about reguaring RMN. Everybody is annoyed with the SL from that standpoint.
The Andermani see Silesia as their natual and obvioius and nessisary direction of expansion of ownership of systems in the Empire and they are close trade markets. Close is good.

The Andermani don't seem to have any of the massive problems the Peeps had since (though we are not told) they don't have the kind of welfare state with the deliberate crippling of the education system that Haven had. Nor do they have the problem of stripping aquired systems of dam near everything and then adjusting production to Haven's needs and not letting any benift of even higher production accrue to the local population.

Of course, however agrivating and overbearing any Solly merchants may be, it's merchant captains and crews, not SLN which doesn't play any role at all- even "visting" out in Silesia on "good will" tours or showing the flag. That gets to be done by RMN which has the gaul- in the opinions of some expressed in the books, of actualy showing up in Silesia and doing commerce protection and pirate interdiction that the Sillies are mostly not capable of or have the asseets nessisary to do with all their other problems of corruption, politics, breakaway systems etc.
Clearly the Andermani have been doing something similar. They also have not been able to actualy do much about the corruption nor (not addressed) the breakaway systems/revolts but they do run commerce protection. And are probaby at least partialy annoyed that RMN was comming out with (mostly) professional and capable captains & also are covering the same areas that IAN is running commerce protection outside of the AE.
I don't think many RMN think of Silesia as someplace that ought to be "theirs". The Andermani are thinking that was- based on what is presented. At least they believe it should be theirs.....but just how much how fast? Does that the Emperor see that as one chunk he can digest at one time or would be be more like grab pieces off one or two at a time and have to keep the Sillies sufficently cowed for a century our two?

We do see where that washes out when AE and SEM do both get fed up with all the crap in Silesia and split it between them.

In the SITS Situation book on Silesia, it says that the Andermani have 5 Fleet zones. 4 are the various regions of the Empire. the 5th is Silesia, based at a moon in Breslau where they have a perpetual lease. Prior to Silesia, the Empire's growth has been mostly organic. they move into a system and make partnership deals , and slowly become the saviors of the system - more so in some cases. Most individual systems plateau without outside assistance with marginal economies, or reach a point where their political systems are in jeopardy, with a ruling class or family that over time becomes crooked. In most cases, the population has welcomed the interference of the Andermani and it's acquision. With a powerful navy and merchant marine, strong economy, and a strong government which espouses personal freedom - many people have been happy to have a govt that will get stuff done, and make life better for everyone.

My big question has been why they didn't try to get Marsh on the drive to Silesia?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:43 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Well, Manticore has a lot of merchant shipping trading in Silesia, but so does the SL, and we have to presume there are ships from Matapan, Asgard, Haven (well, that could be iffy during the war) Erwhon and places like the Judean League. Not sure if SEM or SL has more in terms of numbers and we don't know what the numbers are for the Andermani though they are the closest (for home system and other systems) in terms of actual hyperspace. Even Manticore doesn't get closer than using the juntion routes via Gregor or Basilisk as would the SL.

From some of the books, some the Andermani are annoyed with the arrogance of Manticorians but mostly that was talked about reguaring RMN. Everybody is annoyed with the SL from that standpoint.
The Andermani see Silesia as their natual and obvioius and nessisary direction of expansion of ownership of systems in the Empire and they are close trade markets. Close is good.

The Andermani don't seem to have any of the massive problems the Peeps had since (though we are not told) they don't have the kind of welfare state with the deliberate crippling of the education system that Haven had. Nor do they have the problem of stripping aquired systems of dam near everything and then adjusting production to Haven's needs and not letting any benift of even higher production accrue to the local population.

Of course, however agrivating and overbearing any Solly merchants may be, it's merchant captains and crews, not SLN which doesn't play any role at all- even "visting" out in Silesia on "good will" tours or showing the flag. That gets to be done by RMN which has the gaul- in the opinions of some expressed in the books, of actualy showing up in Silesia and doing commerce protection and pirate interdiction that the Sillies are mostly not capable of or have the asseets nessisary to do with all their other problems of corruption, politics, breakaway systems etc.
Clearly the Andermani have been doing something similar. They also have not been able to actualy do much about the corruption nor (not addressed) the breakaway systems/revolts but they do run commerce protection. And are probaby at least partialy annoyed that RMN was comming out with (mostly) professional and capable captains & also are covering the same areas that IAN is running commerce protection outside of the AE.
I don't think many RMN think of Silesia as someplace that ought to be "theirs". The Andermani are thinking that was- based on what is presented. At least they believe it should be theirs.....but just how much how fast? Does that the Emperor see that as one chunk he can digest at one time or would be be more like grab pieces off one or two at a time and have to keep the Sillies sufficently cowed for a century our two?

We do see where that washes out when AE and SEM do both get fed up with all the crap in Silesia and split it between them.

Most likely, given that the Andermani prefer to expand by being invited it to help a failing system, they'd have only slowly expanded into Silesia. That lets them come in as helper and given them time to focus on fixing that system before they look to expand again (helping ensure that the inhabitants feel they are directly benefiting from joining the Andermani Empire)

Without the presence and influence of Manticore I suspect the Andermani would have quietly made it known that they'd be willing to accept systems that requested it after succeeding from the Silesian government. Not many independence movements wouldn't want that. But some systems sick of the corruption and piracy and the like presumably would. And the Andis would help clean them up, protect them from pirates and raiders, and general make things better. Which would encourage the next system to defect to them too.

I can't see them grabbing giant lumps of Silesia - it just isn't how they've operated and represents a risk of over-committing and not being able to improve things enough, or at least not soon enough, to keep the new citizens happy with their decision to join up.

In my opinion it'd take the risk of another outside power aiming to scoop up parts of Silesia for them to take the risk of grabbing more at the time than they're used to.
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
In the SITS Situation book on Silesia, it says that the Andermani have 5 Fleet zones. 4 are the various regions of the Empire. the 5th is Silesia, based at a moon in Breslau where they have a perpetual lease. Prior to Silesia, the Empire's growth has been mostly organic. they move into a system and make partnership deals , and slowly become the saviors of the system - more so in some cases. Most individual systems plateau without outside assistance with marginal economies, or reach a point where their political systems are in jeopardy, with a ruling class or family that over time becomes crooked. In most cases, the population has welcomed the interference of the Andermani and it's acquision. With a powerful navy and merchant marine, strong economy, and a strong government which espouses personal freedom - many people have been happy to have a govt that will get stuff done, and make life better for everyone.

My big question has been why they didn't try to get Marsh on the drive to Silesia?

This post is prompting me to ask a long harbored question. What is the significance of Silesia as far as Manticore and the Andermani are concerned? Is there some strategic value militarily? I know it represents a brand new market, economically. But before the war with the SL and Lacoon's impact on Manticore's economy, Manticore didn't actually need those markets. Why not simply yield Silesia to the Andermani? The IAN's presence would do a fine job of solving the problems in the area. Two birds with one kind Manticoran stone.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:14 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:This post is prompting me to ask a long harbored question. What is the significance of Silesia as far as Manticore and the Andermani are concerned? Is there some strategic value militarily? I know it represents a brand new market, economically. But before the war with the SL and Lacoon's impact on Manticore's economy, Manticore didn't actually need those markets. Why not simply yield Silesia to the Andermani? The IAN's presence would do a fine job of solving the problems in the area. Two birds with one kind Manticoran stone.

This is not a brand new market, but is instead a very old established one. The RMN had not been doing anti-pirate patrols there for decades solely because of the training value, but because there was considerable Manticoran merchant traffic. Think about it for a minute, the Manticoran freighters may have much of the carrying trade in the Solarian League; but the League would not be a big market for manufactured goods, since the League was as advanced in manufacturing as Manticore. So Manty goods would be sold in the Verge (where the SLN would interfere) and in Silesia. A long time ago there might have been trade with Haven, but that disappeared with the changes in the Peoples' Republic.

It was because of those markets that Manticore discouraged the Andermani from acquiring systems in Silesia until the bargain was finally made that brought them into the alliance. The competition for trade and protection against imperial grabs explains most the the friction between the two forces.

From Honor Among Enemies, chapter 1:
"Mr. Hauptman," the admiral said after a moment, "I'm very sorry about the losses you and the other cartels are suffering. But your request, however reasonable it may seem, is simply impossible to grant at this time."
"With all due respect, Sir Thomas, the Navy had better make it possible." Hauptman's flat tone was just short of insulting, but he stopped himself, then drew a deep breath. "Excuse me," he said in the voice of one clearly unaccustomed to apologizing. "That was rude and confrontational. Nonetheless, there's also a kernel of truth in it. The war effort depends upon the strength of our economy. The shipping duties, transfer fees, and inventory taxes my colleagues and I pay are already three times what they were at the start of the war, and—" Caparelli opened his mouth, but Hauptman held up a hand. "Please. I'm not complaining about duties and taxes. We're at war with the second largest empire in known space, and someone has to pay the freight. My colleagues and I realize that. But you must realize that if losses continue climbing, we'll have no choice but to cut back or even entirely eliminate our shipping to Silesia. I leave it to you to estimate what that will mean for the Star Kingdom's revenues and war effort."
Caparelli's eyes narrowed, and Hauptman shook his head.
"That's not a threat; it's simply a fact of life. Insurance rates have already reached an all-time high, and they're still climbing; if they rise another twenty percent, we'll lose money on cargos which reach their destinations. And in addition to our financial losses, there's also the loss of life involved. Our people—my people, people who've worked for me for decades—are being killed, Sir Thomas."
Caparelli sat back with an unwilling sense of agreement, for Hauptman was right. The Confederacy's weak central government had always made it a risky place, but its worlds were huge markets for the Star Kingdom's industrial products, machinery, and civilian technology transfers, not to mention an important source of raw materials. And however much Caparelli might personally dislike Hauptman, the magnate had every right to demand the Navy's help. It was, after all, one of the Navy's primary missions to protect Manticoran commerce and citizens, and prior to the present war, the Royal Manticoran Navy had done just that in Silesia.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:27 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:This post is prompting me to ask a long harbored question. What is the significance of Silesia as far as Manticore and the Andermani are concerned? Is there some strategic value militarily? I know it represents a brand new market, economically. But before the war with the SL and Lacoon's impact on Manticore's economy, Manticore didn't actually need those markets. Why not simply yield Silesia to the Andermani? The IAN's presence would do a fine job of solving the problems in the area. Two birds with one kind Manticoran stone.

And in addition to tlbs points.
Silesia, as it was, didn't have much military value. But Manticore's relationship with the Andermani was much more cautiously friendly that trusted friend or ally. After all Manticore had hardly expanded at all since it's founding -- one system as a quasi protectorate -- while the Andermani Empire has slowly but steadily expanding.

Don't underplay the size of the Silesian economic market.
As much as we focus on the wealth Manticore's wormhole brings, remember when Haven was looking for systems to loop to feed their economy Silesia was higher on their list than Manticore (admittedly that's probably because if they had a way to do so without pulling Manticore into the fight it's far lower risk. But still, the reward was high enough to divert their eyes from the economic engine that is the Manticoran Junction). So despite all that's going wrong, a major economy, and significant market.

And a Silesia in Andermani hands would, once they digested it, be a massive boost to their economy and manpower while simultaneously bringing their borders much closer to Manticore. That's not something a government looks favorably upon - especially after the potential threat of Haven's expansion appeared on the horizon. As bad as being in the path of one larger expansionist power is being squeezed between two of them is exponentially worse!

So Manticore had very real and significant military and economic reasons to maintain their presence and trade in Silesia and to keep it from being absorbed into the Andermani Empire.
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Tlb, thanks for the amazing textev. I vaguely remember it after reading your post. I've only read most of the books once. I'm drooling at the proposition of a momentus second read through, which is calling me loudly.

Anyway, I had blinders on concerning Silesia. I thought most of the business Manty freighters had in Silesia was carrying trade for the League. Mostly because I thought the League would deny them access. So, in that respect, I called the market new to Manticore, since the war. I had no idea it was such bread and butter to the Manty economy. Albeit, tlb's explanation of the SL not being in need of what Manticore was selling makes lots of sense. I certainly understand the beef over Silesia now. Silesia is like the Wild West and the gold rush.

Is it fair to ask which of the two had their hooks in Silesia first? I really need to read House of Steel.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:18 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:My big question has been why they didn't try to get Marsh on the drive to Silesia?

Isn't Marsh on the other side of Silesia, compared to the Empire? That is, on the side of Basilisk.
Post by tlb   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:My big question has been why they didn't try to get Marsh on the drive to Silesia?

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Isn't Marsh on the other side of Silesia, compared to the Empire? That is, on the side of Basilisk.

The star map that I imported from somewhere (definitely not my creation) has Marsh on the Andermani side (just outside) of Silesia.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:40 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

Isn't Marsh on the other side of Silesia, compared to the Empire? That is, on the side of Basilisk.
I don't think so. Honor, musing on its usefulness in HAE say "if it ever does hit the fan between us and the Andies, having a fleet base between them and Silesia might not be such a bad thing."

It also says that it's "only fifteen light-years from Sachsen. We don't have a station there but the Andies do" and at least the Honorvrse map I found online has Sachsen on the Andi side of Silesia, though a bit off to the side of the direct line between the center of the Andermani Empire and the center of Silesia; with Marsh being shown a bit further over off that line.

Still unless I'm misreading the quote, or the map is all wrong, it's far closer to the Andies than to Basilisk.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:05 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Still unless I'm misreading the quote, or the map is all wrong, it's far closer to the Andies than to Basilisk.

Thanks for the correction, I didn't remember.

Return to Honorverse