Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 91 guests

Honor: Pimp My Ride

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor: Pimp My Ride
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:21 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Actually, this Forum is not the original. The original site was on Baen's Bar (and is still there, though with far less traffic these days).

And before that there was USENET group alt.books.david-weber.
Post by tlb   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:53 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Actually, this Forum is not the original. The original site was on Baen's Bar (and is still there, though with far less traffic these days). Most of the users migrated here over the first year or so it was open as the conversation levels shifted (actually, we followed the snippets). Duckk was on the original board and got recruited to be the new webadmin. I've been posting since late 2004, and several people like Duckk preceeded me.

I tried to get into Baen's Bar last year, but it required a sign-in and the process to create a new sign-in was broken; so I have not gone back.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Theemile wrote:Actually, this Forum is not the original. The original site was on Baen's Bar (and is still there, though with far less traffic these days).

And before that there was USENET group alt.books.david-weber.

I didn't know how many users made that leap to Baen's Bar for continuity sake of the membership, so I didn't mention it, but you are right; that reached back into the 1990s.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:08 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:And before that there was USENET group alt.books.david-weber.

I didn't know how many users made that leap to Baen's Bar for continuity sake of the membership, so I didn't mention it, but you are right; that reached back into the 1990s.

Wow. USENET was long before I was involved in this community. I was on the Bar but eventually came over here because a) the Bar's forum software blew up one to many times, b) snippets were being posted here first, and c) RFC was posting here rather than over there.

Once creating my account here I quickly stopped bothering to visit the Bar.
Post by Duckk   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

I poke my head into the Bar periodically, just to check if there’s anything critical that David needs to be aware of. BuShips has turned into a complete wasteland. It is literally just warpish in there posting one crazy technical boondoggle after another. Honorverse does get a little activity, thankfully.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:And before that there was USENET group alt.books.david-weber.

Jonathan_S wrote:Wow. USENET was long before I was involved in this community. I was on the Bar but eventually came over here because a) the Bar's forum software blew up one to many times, b) snippets were being posted here first, and c) RFC was posting here rather than over there.

Once creating my account here I quickly stopped bothering to visit the Bar.

Ok, that's not funny, because I hate it when stuff gets destroyed here because it times-out and falls off the back-end of the forum.

But IT IS HUMOROUS, because just like Honor, you are all indeed keel-plate owners. And destroyed software represents Honor's burnt sail-plane plaque. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:20 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Speaking of the aforementioned damsel in distress swimming upstream, we all know how much Honor loves Bachfisch.

The 'fisch is in Shark and Whale infested waters too. It would certainly float my boat if Honor was the cavalry for the 'fisch. "How you like my new ride, Captain?" :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:21 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:
Thinking about Keel Plate Owners. Are there any original members on the site still active? Original, meaning, became members within the first year or so of the site's maiden voyage? Is Duckk a Keel Plate Owner?

And, where did Weber get the notion of Keel Plate Owner anyway?

Actually, this Forum is not the original. The original site was on Baen's Bar (and is still there, though with far less traffic these days). Most of the users migrated here over the first year or so it was open as the conversation levels shifted (actually, we followed the snippets). Duckk was on the original board and got recruited to be the new webadmin. I've been posting since late 2004, and several people like Duckk preceeded me.

I know of a certain NAMELESSFLY who provoked much consternation and a somewhat snarky reply from David Weber by questioning how the MALIGN ghost ships could be stealthy when using fusion rockets for their initial manauvers. The highly intelligent NAMELESSFLY actually embraced the name bestowed upon him by Weber.
Post by tlb   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:35 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I know of a certain NAMELESSFLY who provoked much consternation and a somewhat snarky reply from David Weber by questioning how the MALIGN ghost ships could be stealthy when using fusion rockets for their initial manauvers. The highly intelligent NAMELESSFLY actually embraced the name bestowed upon him by Weber.

What specifically do you mean by a "fusion Rocket"? Everything bigger than a LAC is fusion powered; but those words suggest a plasma thruster with a fusion energy source to me. Since that would be a nuclear flare, it would definitely not be stealthy.

PS. Just a little bit of self congratulation, perhaps?
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:15 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:I know of a certain NAMELESSFLY who provoked much consternation and a somewhat snarky reply from David Weber by questioning how the MALIGN ghost ships could be stealthy when using fusion rockets for their initial manauvers. The highly intelligent NAMELESSFLY actually embraced the name bestowed upon him by Weber.

What specifically do you mean by a "fusion Rocket"? Everything bigger than a LAC is fusion powered; but those words suggest a plasma thruster with a fusion energy source to me. Since that would be a nuclear flare, it would definitely not be stealthy.

PS. Just a little bit of self congratulation, perhaps?

Didn't the text state the Ghosts used a strap on cold thrust system to exit the freighters, not their fusion thrusters?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse