Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 70 guests

Honor: Pimp My Ride

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor: Pimp My Ride
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri May 15, 2020 11:09 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Indeed, and that's a very good point. I considered it as well, but then, Honor may consider it her duty if she can smooth out speedbumps all over the Galaxy's ghettos. But you're certainly correct that the MA may be able to get to her if she were to take on that role. However, as I posted earlier, as a civilian, Honor will be much more vulnerable to assassinations anyway. She could be ambushed aboard the Tankersley while simply traveling to Grayson.

Ambushes in hyper are rare, outside of well known grav wave entry or exit points. Especially for unscheduled trips done with private ships: if you don't know when the ship is leaving, you can't be ready for it. And you can't get word ahead that it's leaving either, as the Tankersley is faster than any civilian ship out there. Unless you have streak drive ships in the MBS just waiting around...

In real space, we're talking about the two systems with the biggest concentration of military force in the Galaxy. There are likely to be cruisers and destroyers patrolling the hyper limit on the least time course between those two systems, plus a large steady flow of ships. Lurking around the expected emergence loci is likely to get you discovered.

Plus, the Tankersley may practice regular randomisation.

If you're talking about the Queen sending her as her ambassador to another system, there may be enough leaks in the protocol and negotiations to announce when she's supposed to arrive. But she wouldn't be travelling on the Tankersley for this.

Perhaps. We don't know the capabilities of the new threats. At any rate, it would ring true only if the Cruiser can SEE "any ship that they meet." The introduction could very well be "Hello. Goodbye." Shouldn't an SD be more survivable?

Against an LD at knife-fighting range? No. You'd need something BB-sized to be a threat to an RMN BC but not an RMN SD. There's very little that falls in that range.

For everything outside of energy range, the BC is more manoeuvrable and thus more survivable.

I thought she was too important for it as well when she showed up in the Haven system practicing diplomacy for the Queen, but, well...she could have been assassinated by rogue elements then.

She was, but that's what the rest of Eighth Fleet was there for, outside the hyperlimit. It was on Pritchart and the RoH to ensure her safety, lest Eighth Fleet full of Apollo missiles start firing on Capital Fleet from extreme range.

What didn't add up for me was Eighth Fleet being there for 2 months. The rest of RHN could just be waiting in hyper and ready to translate and fire. I suppose we weren't told, but over three quarters of Eighth kept randomly translating out and back in half a light hour outside the hyperlimit.
Post by cthia   » Sat May 16, 2020 2:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Indeed, and that's a very good point. I considered it as well, but then, Honor may consider it her duty if she can smooth out speedbumps all over the Galaxy's ghettos. But you're certainly correct that the MA may be able to get to her if she were to take on that role. However, as I posted earlier, as a civilian, Honor will be much more vulnerable to assassinations anyway. She could be ambushed aboard the Tankersley while simply traveling to Grayson.

Ambushes in hyper are rare, outside of well known grav wave entry or exit points. Especially for unscheduled trips done with private ships: if you don't know when the ship is leaving, you can't be ready for it. And you can't get word ahead that it's leaving either, as the Tankersley is faster than any civilian ship out there. Unless you have streak drive ships in the MBS just waiting around...

In real space, we're talking about the two systems with the biggest concentration of military force in the Galaxy. There are likely to be cruisers and destroyers patrolling the hyper limit on the least time course between those two systems, plus a large steady flow of ships. Lurking around the expected emergence loci is likely to get you discovered.

Plus, the Tankersley may practice regular randomisation.

If you're talking about the Queen sending her as her ambassador to another system, there may be enough leaks in the protocol and negotiations to announce when she's supposed to arrive. But she wouldn't be travelling on the Tankersley for this.

Perhaps. We don't know the capabilities of the new threats. At any rate, it would ring true only if the Cruiser can SEE "any ship that they meet." The introduction could very well be "Hello. Goodbye." Shouldn't an SD be more survivable?

Against an LD at knife-fighting range? No. You'd need something BB-sized to be a threat to an RMN BC but not an RMN SD. There's very little that falls in that range.

For everything outside of energy range, the BC is more manoeuvrable and thus more survivable.

I thought she was too important for it as well when she showed up in the Haven system practicing diplomacy for the Queen, but, well...she could have been assassinated by rogue elements then.

She was, but that's what the rest of Eighth Fleet was there for, outside the hyperlimit. It was on Pritchart and the RoH to ensure her safety, lest Eighth Fleet full of Apollo missiles start firing on Capital Fleet from extreme range.

What didn't add up for me was Eighth Fleet being there for 2 months. The rest of RHN could just be waiting in hyper and ready to translate and fire. I suppose we weren't told, but over three quarters of Eighth kept randomly translating out and back in half a light hour outside the hyperlimit.

Any ship the MA ambushes will be completely unprepared for being cold-cocked. You think an SD would be more vulnerable to that kind of attack?

I wasn't exactly thinking about ambushes in hyper. The MA doesn't need to do that when they can get close enough to take your food off your plate. LOL

I know. I know. You don't think so. Just make sure you remember what station broke the news to you first W-CTHIA. LOL

****** "

Something just occurred to me. Since Honor is retired, does she remain as high on anyone's hit list? Would she still be on it at all?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat May 16, 2020 4:42 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Any ship the MA ambushes will be completely unprepared for being cold-cocked. You think an SD would be more vulnerable to that kind of attack?

I wasn't exactly thinking about ambushes in hyper. The MA doesn't need to do that when they can get close enough to take your food off your plate. LOL

I know. I know. You don't think so. Just make sure you remember what station broke the news to you first W-CTHIA. LOL

Even if we take your argument that the MAlign forces can get close enough, then an SD is hardly more survivable than a BC. With 20% more acceleration than an Invictus, a Nike class could get our of range of anything it can't outrun but is far cheaper. And the Agammemnon, like the HMS Duke of Cromarty, class adds another 2%.
Post by cthia   » Sun May 17, 2020 2:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
cthia wrote:Any ship the MA ambushes will be completely unprepared for being cold-cocked. You think an SD would be more vulnerable to that kind of attack?

Even if we take your argument that the MAlign forces can get close enough, then an SD is hardly more survivable than a BC. With 20% more acceleration than an Invictus, a Nike class could get our of range of anything it can't outrun but is far cheaper. And the Agammemnon, like the HMS Duke of Cromarty, class adds another 2%.

TM, when I first read this, admittedly, I was shocked! Shocked I tell you! Darn flabbergasted actually. But then, as I had time to think about it, I realized ... :o ... I was about to make the same mistake of ignoring the human element as I accused many of you. Namely, we simply disagree on the assessment of the tactical situation at hand. I realize, in my moment of arrogance, that YOUR decision COULD very well be the RIGHT decision.

Personally, though, I don't see it as a time to run. Yes, back off if you can with rhyme or reason like Kirk did, if you can. But if an LD engages you, chances are it has either settled into what is at least passable as its optimum firing position, or, even worse, Murphy has flown you right into the gaping maws of Jaws. If either is the case, you'd better be intent on finding her, and putting her out of her misery. You can put all of your mental energies into running if you like.

Or, you can keep your cool and try to engage. But to engage, I hope you've worked your crew until they are professional and polished and they locate that Whale, quickly. But to try and run away from WHAT, and from WHERE? ... Well, first, to even contemplate running, you need time. To get that time, you need to survive getting blind-sided. To survive getting blind-sided, you need the take-it-on-the-jaw survivability of an SD. Comparing an SD to a prizefighter, everything else has a glass jaw.

I really think you're misreading the tactical situation. Let me set the mood. Do note, at least Kirk was aware of the tactical situation of a cloaked enemy at hand. The same tactical situation didn't exactly come at Kirk blind; although he was ALSO OPERATING blind. WAIT? WHAT? Anyway, Kirk was somewhat prepared. Unlike YOU'LL be, in the opening volleys of THIS war.

Note how the tactical situation is so lopsided, the Klingon Commander is spinning in his chair like a kid with a toy.

"Can you see me Kirk? I can see you."

I said earlier that the RMN don't run scared, but against this enemy they better learn to just run. But the time to run, is before you get fired upon.

If the LD has a few tricks up it's sleeves to confuse you, like a stealthed set of pods maneuvering across your wake like Honor at Cerberus, which launches on you as the LD does? You're gonna be confused as hell and think there are two warships firing on you from stealth. And if there really IS two LDs firing on you from stealth ...

"Ahh, the game's afoot."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue May 19, 2020 8:12 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Sooooo, nobody wants to help build this baby for Honor, eh? Nobody wants to be a Keel Plate Owner.* It's amusing to me, because I have a crush on Honor stronger than her Stilthy arm. And my chances with her are beginning to look a lot better when she finds out about your unwillingness to participate in this project. LOL

I'll suggest, perhaps, even more CMs loaded aboard. And, what was that trick the Sollies used to get more range out of its missile? They strapped a CM drive node at the very top? Did that effectively make their ship board missile dual drive or the CM dual drive? LOL Which fuels a question. Are CMs dual drive? I think RMN CMs are dual drive because of their standoff range. If not, can they be? BTW, I never even considered that CMs are also launched offbore, until UH. Dunno why or how I missed that fact. I was also thinking about removing some energy batteries, but conceivably, the Duchess could end up needing them.**

I also wonder about the ability to detect the stealth drive the GA is working on. Will there only be a system variant, or will there also be a limited version aboard larger ships - with less reach, and which must also be directed as does a ship's present scanning tech.

She must also have a Treecat meeting room.

**She could be named The Duchess or The Tank 2.

*KEEL PLATE OWNER

There was a time, years ago, when I owned every book David Weber had ever written. There were none I liked more than the Honor Harrington series. I loved the way Weber reimagined the Haratio Hornblower in a space opera. One concept that stuck with me, even years later, was that of a keel plate owner—a member of a ship’s original crew. It was a point of considerable pride. The etymology is a little unclear (to me, at least—David Weber uses the term as if it exists in the real word, but all my research led straight back to him), but I suppose it comes from the fact that the keel was traditionally the first part of the ship to be built. (‘Plate’ is a reference to flat plate keels, which are used by most ocean-going vessels).

Any community can have keel plate owners, people who know all the history because they were there from the beginning. A blog’s keel plate owners are its loyal first readers; its early, hesitant commenters; those who can trace a line from the present to the past.

I read a lot of blogs. I’ve read the full archives of blogs I particularly liked. But I was hesitant about starting one. Or rather, starting another—I had one years ago, to which I posted three times (the third post was to announce a “temporary” hiatus).

What if I didn’t have anything to say?

What if I didn’t have time to say it?

And most importantly: What would I call it?

Naming things is a fraught task for programmers. We’re obsessed with getting names exactly right. I once spent half a day in utter confusion because a colleague (May he never read this blog!) called something a state machine that was really a message filter. I’ve had long, bitter arguments about trivialities like whether it was better to say a test was enabled, started, or begun.

I was stumped. I couldn’t think of a name that I’d want to stamp all over my online presence. (What about my first blog’s name, you ask? Its only redeeming quality was that it had four Rs in it.)

I considered keel, which is both a substring of my own name and a nautical term. But keel is an ugly word, and doesn’t sit well next to blog, an even uglier one. It’s also a non-sequitur. (I see the blog, but where’s the keel?)

In that same vein, I considered keelhauled, which means to execute someone by dragging them along the underside of a boat. The prognosis is either drowning or being shredded by barnacles, depending on how fast the keelhauling goes. My brother pointed out that was hardly an ideal association for my online brand.

I eventually settled on R Keelan’s Blog, which is thoroughly boring, but also unobjectionable.

Thinking about keels did, however, give me the subject for this post. So post in the comments below, even if it’s years later and you’re working your way through the archives, and you can be a keel plate owner too.

Disclaimer: Herein lies no intention of creating Fanfic. I'm still a little hazy on what constitutes fanfic and where a reader's musings cross the line. If it is, or even skirts the line, my apologies. The Duckk has no problem wielding the mighty Mjolnir.

Thinking about Keel Plate Owners. Are there any original members on the site still active? Original, meaning, became members within the first year or so of the site's maiden voyage? Is Duckk a Keel Plate Owner?

And, where did Weber get the notion of Keel Plate Owner anyway?

Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue May 19, 2020 12:21 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:what was that trick the Sollies used to get more range out of its missile? They strapped a CM drive node at the very top? Did that effectively make their ship board missile dual drive or the CM dual drive? LOL Which fuels a question. Are CMs dual drive? I think RMN CMs are dual drive because of their standoff range. If not, can they be? BTW, I never even considered that CMs are also launched offbore, until UH. Dunno why or how I missed that fact.
The Cataphract do have a CM drive, though it's strapped to an entire upper stage stuck to the top of the conventional missile. (That's why they're large enough that a CA is about the smallest ship that can fire one; and all the ship launched ones suffer a reduced warhead size to squeeze everything in). So it's 1 missile drive + 1 CM drive; in an oversized rube goldberg bodge.

As for RMN CMs; no they're not dual drive. The books clearly describe them as a 75 second endurance single drive design (so more ERM that DDM). But the extra 15 seconds plus their very high acceleration already gives them more intercept distance than they can accurately be controlled over.

There's no particular engineering reason I know of that the RMN couldn't design a dual drive CM. But it'd be a lot larger, so you couldn't carry nearly as many of them. And of course no existing ship's CM tubes could fire it. Also the extra size might slow it down. But mostly the exisitng Mk31 CM's range of 3.5 million km is already outstripping effective control; so adding the size and cost of a second drive (and capacitors to power it) to push that out to a simply ludicrous 14.3 million km would be counter productive unless you'd solved the fire control and lag issues to allow a meaningful number of hits beyond 3 million km.
cthia wrote:And, where did Weber get the notion of Keel Plate Owner anyway?

Well the US Navy, back to when it was still wooden warships had the term plankowner for someone who was an original member of the ship's crew. I assume Weber updated the concept for the RMN; (though he might have come across someone else who used that term first). AFAIK the Royal Navy didn't have any equivalent term; it seems to be a USN-ism.

I've seen the term Keel plate holder slip into other naval space sci-fi books; but don't know if that was influenced by Weber's use.
Post by Dauntless   » Wed May 20, 2020 3:59 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

The idea is fun but unlike the discussions about how to improve the Roland or Avalon, which are nearing dead horse status, until RFC gives us more info then an Invictus class SD(P) is the deadliest ship in space.

we simply don't have enough info about the LDs or what will prove useful from the SLN R&D to even begin to speculate about improvements.
Post by cthia   » Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:The idea is fun but unlike the discussions about how to improve the Roland or Avalon, which are nearing dead horse status, until RFC gives us more info then an Invictus class SD(P) is the deadliest ship in space.

we simply don't have enough info about the LDs or what will prove useful from the SLN R&D to even begin to speculate about improvements.

She was aboard an Evict-Us when she entered Solarian space while she was menstruating. Yep, that made it the deadliest ship in space.

It was an Evictus SD(Period) :lol:

'OUCH!'

Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:36 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:Again, I'm interested in how a ship of the wall may change its tactics IF IT HAD to operate as a singleton. Who better to demonstrate those tactics than Honor, and what better time to do so than against a slower opponent while still enjoying the advantage in missile range.

cthia wrote:If it would always be a massacre in Honor's favor, then what the hell are we arguing about; let's be about it and put Honor's Heine in an SD(P) - replete with design elements donated from all of the GA's navies, to protect her Heine AT ALL COSTS as the premise of the thread suggests.

The military evaluates its tactics by wargaming them, as you have seen in many examples in the books. They know that a proper evaluation can not come if the opposition force is significantly inferior to the side being tested. That was one of the many problems that the SLN faced, for decades (if not centuries) the Op force was not as good as the side being judged. That is not the RMN way; when Michelle wanted to see what Michael Oversteegen could do, she gave Apollo to the Op force.

So the authorities at Manticore are not going to brainstorm tactics by putting Honor in an SD and sending her forth. She is far too valuable to be treated that way. If you really think that this is something RFC would do, then we will just have to wait and see; but to me it sounds like fanfic.
Galactic Sapper wrote:More likely after a few years they'll draft her as the semi-permanent opfor commander for the Crusher.

That's an amusing notion because I recall the much higher demand of certain professors. The huge number of students attempting to register for the limited number of slots were so high, riots were possible. The demand for Honor's classes would be insane.

Post by Theemile   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:27 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Thinking about Keel Plate Owners. Are there any original members on the site still active? Original, meaning, became members within the first year or so of the site's maiden voyage? Is Duckk a Keel Plate Owner?

And, where did Weber get the notion of Keel Plate Owner anyway?

Actually, this Forum is not the original. The original site was on Baen's Bar (and is still there, though with far less traffic these days). Most of the users migrated here over the first year or so it was open as the conversation levels shifted (actually, we followed the snippets). Duckk was on the original board and got recruited to be the new webadmin. I've been posting since late 2004, and several people like Duckk preceeded me.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse