Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 144 guests

Where next for our younger hero's and Heroins?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Where next for our younger hero's and Heroins?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:16 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:What makes you say the Nike is offensively minded? They put a vast amount of its extra tonnage into its survivability.

On 2.1 million extra tons compared to the Sag-C the Nikes mounted just 5 additional Mk16 tubes and 4 grasers per broadside.

Survivability because she's designed to go fight wallers. She's that big because she's literally carrying a million of tonne of missiles inside.

I call that offensively-minded.

A peace-time BC might be leaner and faster.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:30 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:What makes you say the Nike is offensively minded? They put a vast amount of its extra tonnage into its survivability.

On 2.1 million extra tons compared to the Sag-C the Nikes mounted just 5 additional Mk16 tubes and 4 grasers per broadside.

Survivability because she's designed to go fight wallers. She's that big because she's literally carrying a million of tonne of missiles inside.

No, she's designed to SURVIVE against modern wallers. She is designed to be able to do what Honor's squadron did in 1905 against modern wallers. An Invictus would be able to shrug off a Nike's fire with no problem, while a Nike could intercept all but the most concentrated Invictus salvos. A Nike is seen as the "Minimum survivable combatant" in a pod launched MDM environment.

https://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/entry/Harrington/83/1/
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Re: Where next for our younger heroes and heroines?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:01 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

No, she's designed to SURVIVE against modern wallers. She is designed to be able to do what Honor's squadron did in 1905 against modern wallers. An Invictus would be able to shrug off a Nike's fire with no problem, while a Nike could intercept all but the most concentrated Invictus salvos. A Nike is seen as the "Minimum survivable combatant" in a pod launched MDM environment.

https://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/entry/Harrington/83/1/

Though I'd say her ability to survive against wallers is more a side effect of the BuShip's real goal. To come up with a design of BC able to perform all classic RMN BC roles - including deep raiding against secondary or tertiary systems. House of Steel even explicitly says "The Nike is designed to lead and survive independent long-duration deep-raiding missions in an era dominated by multi-drive missiles."

The size and defenses needed to do that in the face of pod based MDM system defense is, shall we say, significant.

Take look at the post WWII British battleship design studies sometime. Their designers were told to build something survivable against all current threats; which included little things like Tall Boy supersonic armor piercing bombs (potentially now matched to Fritz-X style guidance) and nuclear weapons. The designs were so large, and carried such thick armor, that there was no place they could be built, or for that matter docked, in the UK. IIRC they made Yamato look a bit puny. Of course they were ultimately judged not worth the cost, and never built. But if battleships had still been the decisive offensive weapon you'd have seen a massive size jump from Vanguard to the next BB design; because that's what the designers determined was required to fill the same roles in the new threat environment.
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:02 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Take look at the post WWII British battleship design studies sometime. Their designers were told to build something survivable against all current threats; which included little things like Tall Boy supersonic armor piercing bombs (potentially now matched to Fritz-X style guidance) and nuclear weapons. The designs were so large, and carried such thick armor, that there was no place they could be built, or for that matter docked, in the UK. IIRC they made Yamato look a bit puny. Of course they were ultimately judged not worth the cost, and never built. But if battleships had still been the decisive offensive weapon you'd have seen a massive size jump from Vanguard to the next BB design; because that's what the designers determined was required to fill the same roles in the new threat environment.

Our of curiosity, do you know how big those BBs would be compared to modern supercarriers?
Re: Where next for our younger heroes and heroines?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:01 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Take look at the post WWII British battleship design studies sometime. Their designers were told to build something survivable against all current threats; which included little things like Tall Boy supersonic armor piercing bombs (potentially now matched to Fritz-X style guidance) and nuclear weapons. The designs were so large, and carried such thick armor, that there was no place they could be built, or for that matter docked, in the UK. IIRC they made Yamato look a bit puny. Of course they were ultimately judged not worth the cost, and never built. But if battleships had still been the decisive offensive weapon you'd have seen a massive size jump from Vanguard to the next BB design; because that's what the designers determined was required to fill the same roles in the new threat environment.

Our of curiosity, do you know how big those BBs would be compared to modern supercarriers?

I don't have the reference books handy but IIRC they'd be close to that displacement (maybe around 90-95,000 tons). Physically not as wide at the waterline, much less compared to the flight deck width of a supercarrier, yet they'd have deeper draft because much of that weight was concentrated in massive dense slabs of armor. (IIRC something like 12 inches of solid deck armor, and much more for the armor belt)
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri May 01, 2020 11:50 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Who do we have that is junior and could be working for Hemphill & Foraker in Bolthole, to give us insight on what they're developing over there?

Oh, that one's easy. Paulo and Helen. Except one would have to work for Foraker and one for Hemphill so they can keep dating.

Super EWO sneak + "Sneaky Snoop Dad raised trained by Terekhov" boom sneak. Maybe have Papa and Torch folks drop by occasionally to assist in translating Simoe's research bits into foward-base able and nasty MAlign detect-o-go-bang tech.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri May 01, 2020 1:15 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Megan Peterson gets promoted to Captain and gets a Saganami C, not some half assed CL that has less firepower than her Rolland DD.

Abigail Hearnes gets promoted to Lt Commander in her next appearance. I predict a deathride in which she has to assume command of whatever ship she is on and beats the crap out of the enemy. Shower scenes of course. Lots of shower scenes.

I now understand that Mateo is old enough to be Abby's father or even grandfather. He might even have a wife that Weber hasn't written about. No romance with Abby. She will have to settle for less. Might have been lethal anyway.

Tekerov and Overstregen will become the high ranking, active fleet admirals.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri May 01, 2020 3:59 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I now understand that Mateo is old enough to be Abby's father or even grandfather. He might even have a wife that Weber hasn't written about. No romance with Abby. She will have to settle for less. Might have been lethal anyway.

She had eyes for Indy Graham.
Post by Captain Golding   » Tue May 12, 2020 12:22 pm

Captain Golding
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Paulo and Helen.

So Helen is given a command of a LAC in the Squadron attached to the Charles Ward. Paulo is still working Engineering for the ship.

Is that a 119 violation issue?

What would the 8 LAC squadron structure look like? Where would a Lt (JG) fit. I am not sure if every LAC has an Officer i/c or if some have a WO in charge.
Post by tlb   » Tue May 12, 2020 12:31 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Captain Golding wrote:Paulo and Helen.

So Helen is given a command of a LAC in the Squadron attached to the Charles Ward. Paulo is still working Engineering for the ship.

Is that a 119 violation issue?

What would the 8 LAC squadron structure look like? Where would a Lt (JG) fit. I am not sure if every LAC has an Officer i/c or if some have a WO in charge.

I thought that the COLAC reports to the CO?

Return to Honorverse