Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Where next for our younger hero's and Heroins?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Where next for our younger heroes and heroines?
Post by tlb   » Tue May 12, 2020 10:17 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:Alright - I know David's writing is addictive, but I see no reason for refer to the female protagonists as drugs, instead of heroines - the feminine version of hero.

This has been bugging me since the beginning - and yes it probably should be in the punctuation thread.

tlb wrote:In the past I have asked to have a spelling error fixed in a thread title, but Duckk said "no". I am not sure whether that was because of a refusal or an inability to do it.

fallsfromtrees wrote:Actually, although the previous posts can't be changed, the later ones can.

But this does not change on the selection screen at the Forum level, just here on the new entries?

I was hoping it would change throughout the thread.
Re: Where next for our younger hero's and Heroins?
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Wed May 13, 2020 9:44 am

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

BrightSoul wrote:
tlb wrote:The only interaction that I can find between those two is in chapter 10, when she needed to talk to someone who was at Basilisk to ask if Honor had run away.

I believe it was during Honor Among Enemies when they were getting closer to something. Unfortunately she died aboard Wayfarer.

Thanks, that was a silly error on my part. I remembered the interaction, remembered that she died, just got the timeline wrong and the wrong book because of it.
Post by Julia Minor   » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

tlb wrote:
Galactic Sapper wrote:I don't believe that would be a violation, although the more senior the officers get the closer to a violation it is. While they're on the same ship they're not technically in the same chain of command; the lowest officers they'd both report to would be the Captain/XO of the ship and if that were considered a violation it would be an effective ban on all shipboard relationships, which we know not to be true.

What is your example for that? Paulo and Helen were not in a romantic relationship on the Hexapuma.

As I recall, Ragnhild thinks that trying to start something with a cute Marine posted to Hexapuma would not be a violation of regs, right before she and her pinnace get blown to bits by the Mesans.
Post by saber964   » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:26 pm

saber964
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Megan Peterson gets promoted to Captain and gets a Saganami C, not some half assed CL that has less firepower than her Rolland DD.

Abigail Hearnes gets promoted to Lt Commander in her next appearance. I predict a deathride in which she has to assume command of whatever ship she is on and beats the crap out of the enemy. Shower scenes of course. Lots of shower scenes.

I now understand that Mateo is old enough to be Abby's father or even grandfather. He might even have a wife that Weber hasn't written about. No romance with Abby. She will have to settle for less. Might have been lethal anyway.

Tekerov and Overstregen will become the high ranking, active fleet admirals.

Doubtful Peterson gets promoted as she is still a very junior and newly promoted commander. She will be promoted at the first opportunity after a little command seasoning. Here is what I see for her.
Colonel of Marines
Parliamentary Medal of Valor
Knight Grand Commander order of King Roger
Baroness something or other
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:57 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:Doubtful Peterson gets promoted as she is still a very junior and newly promoted commander. She will be promoted at the first opportunity after a little command seasoning. Here is what I see for her.
Colonel of Marines

And some Beowulfan/Hypatian medals too.

Uncompromising Honor wrote:“... You found a much more…elegant solution, and at least Hypatia doesn't have steadings.”

“I beg your pardon?” This time, Megan did blink.

“After my own escapade, I got dragged kicking and screaming into the wonderful world of politics, Commander. Without any hereditary titles to hang on you, the Hypatians can't do the same thing to you. Speaking with the voice of experience, I advise you count your blessings.”

“I hadn't even thought about that, Your Grace!” Megan shuddered.

“Well, don't let your hopes get too high,” the duchess advised her. “Hypatia may not have a toy chest full of steadings and titles and things, but Her Majesty does. And, still speaking with the voice of experience, she likes to open it up for people who accomplish the sorts of things you uaccomplished. And, to be honest,” her expression softened and the hand on Megan's shoulder squeezed once, firmly, “you deserve it. Everyone in your entire squadron deserves it, and I'm pretty sure Her Majesty will make her own feelings in that regard abundantly clear.”

[...]
“Good woman!" Harrington smiled broadly and this time, she punched Megan lightly on the same shoulder. “Not only a good tactician, but a wise one too! I see great things in your future, Commander. [...]”
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:05 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Doubtful Peterson gets promoted as she is still a very junior and newly promoted commander. She will be promoted at the first opportunity after a little command seasoning. Here is what I see for her.
Colonel of Marines
Baroness something or other[/quote]

How does she become a Colonel of Marines? Are they going to make her an honorary COL, is that even a thing in SKM?
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:39 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:

Colonel of Marines

How does she become a Colonel of Marines? Are they going to make her an honorary COL, is that even a thing in SKM?[/quote]

I doubt she will get "Knight Grand Commander order of King Roger", this is a little senior - but definitely a membership in the order.

Similiarly the Colonel of Marines, which is usually given to Sr. Captains, iirc. A Captain or Major of Marines, more probably.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:49 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:
How does she become a Colonel of Marines? Are they going to make her an honorary COL, is that even a thing in SKM?

It's an SKM honorary title - gives an extra pay for a officer who has shown outstanding valor, but is too junior to promote to flag rank. Honor was given it in FoD.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by tlb   » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:44 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:How does she become a Colonel of Marines? Are they going to make her an honorary COL, is that even a thing in SKM?

Theemile wrote:It's an SKM honorary title - gives an extra pay for a officer who has shown outstanding valor, but is too junior to promote to flag rank. Honor was given it in FoD.

This one of the parallels with Hornblower, since he received the same honor. In Field of Dishonor, chapter 3:
"And now, Dame Honor, it's your turn," the Queen said, and Honor straightened. "We'll take care of the formalities—including the award of a richly deserved thank you—later in the Blue Hall, but I've decided to appoint you to the rank of Colonel of Marines, as well."
Honor's eyes widened in surprise as great as Henke's. Appointment as a colonel of Marines was a way for the Crown to show special approval of a captain too junior for promotion to flag rank, and very few officers ever received the honor. It wouldn't change her actual authority in any way, but she would receive a colonel's salary in addition to her regular pay, and the appointment was an unequivocal indication of royal favor

PS. note that we lost the corrected spelling of heroine; apparently it only gets passed to those that respond to the single post that was corrected.
Re: Where next for our younger heroes and heroines?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:PS. note that we lost the corrected spelling of heroine; apparently it only gets passed to those that respond to the single post that was corrected.

You inherit the subject of the post you quote, so if you quote a post that doesn't have the corrected title you'll also have the wrong one (unless you remember to fix it yourself; which I did here. But probably won't remember to do the next time)

PS - Just checked and you can go back and edit your post's subject after you've posted it. Just use the normal edit post link and correct/change the subject field.

Return to Honorverse