Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 91 guests

Where next for our younger hero's and Heroins?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Where next for our younger hero's and Heroins?
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Tue May 12, 2020 1:38 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Captain Golding wrote:Paulo and Helen.

So Helen is given a command of a LAC in the Squadron attached to the Charles Ward. Paulo is still working Engineering for the ship.

Is that a 119 violation issue?

What would the 8 LAC squadron structure look like? Where would a Lt (JG) fit. I am not sure if every LAC has an Officer i/c or if some have a WO in charge.

I don't believe that would be a violation, although the more senior the officers get the closer to a violation it is. While they're on the same ship they're not technically in the same chain of command; the lowest officers they'd both report to would be the Captain/XO of the ship and if that were considered a violation it would be an effective ban on all shipboard relationships, which we know not to be true.

I imagine the rules get a bit more nit-picky the higher one goes in the ship's command structure. The degree of separation between a junior engineering officer and a LAC CO is significantly more than that between the chief engineer and the COLAC, for instance. There's more layers of reporting to insulate the two from ever being in a position where one might report to the other (due to casualties, for example).
Post by tlb   » Tue May 12, 2020 2:22 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:I don't believe that would be a violation, although the more senior the officers get the closer to a violation it is. While they're on the same ship they're not technically in the same chain of command; the lowest officers they'd both report to would be the Captain/XO of the ship and if that were considered a violation it would be an effective ban on all shipboard relationships, which we know not to be true.

What is your example for that? Paulo and Helen were not in a romantic relationship on the Hexapuma.
Post by Captain Golding   » Tue May 12, 2020 3:09 pm

Captain Golding
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Not on Hexapuma true but after it's destroyed they re-establish contact so by the time of "Shadow of Victory" most certainly. Helen is acting as a Flag Lt. wile an Ensign while Pablo is on the Charles Ward's engineering team. They eventually find a room on Manitoba iirc.
Post by tlb   » Tue May 12, 2020 4:50 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Captain Golding wrote:Not on Hexapuma true but after it's destroyed they re-establish contact so by the time of "Shadow of Victory" most certainly. Helen is acting as a Flag Lt. wile an Ensign while Pablo is on the Charles Ward's engineering team. They eventually find a room on Manitoba iirc.

The only other case that I can think of is the Captain of Angrim at the Battle of Hypatia had a boyfriend on one of the ships that got pounded. At this lower level, is likely that a couple is okay if they are not serving on the same ship. But the point is that you were talking about "shipboard relationships" in the quote above.
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Tue May 12, 2020 6:24 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:
Galactic Sapper wrote:I don't believe that would be a violation, although the more senior the officers get the closer to a violation it is. While they're on the same ship they're not technically in the same chain of command; the lowest officers they'd both report to would be the Captain/XO of the ship and if that were considered a violation it would be an effective ban on all shipboard relationships, which we know not to be true.

What is your example for that? Paulo and Helen were not in a romantic relationship on the Hexapuma.

Scotty Tremaine and Carolyn Wolcott (?) on Fearless in HotQ.
Post by tlb   » Tue May 12, 2020 6:54 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:What is your example for that? Paulo and Helen were not in a romantic relationship on the Hexapuma.

Galactic Sapper wrote:Scotty Tremaine and Carolyn Wolcott (?) on Fearless in HotQ.

The only interaction that I can find between those two is in chapter 10, when she needed to talk to someone who was at Basilisk to ask if Honor had run away.
Post by BrightSoul   » Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

tlb wrote:The only interaction that I can find between those two is in chapter 10, when she needed to talk to someone who was at Basilisk to ask if Honor had run away.

I believe it was during Honor Among Enemies when they were getting closer to something. Unfortunately she died aboard Wayfarer.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue May 12, 2020 9:10 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Alright - I know David's writing is addictive, but I see no reason for refer to the female protagonists as drugs, instead of heroines - the feminine version of hero.

This has been bugging me since the beginning - and yes it probably should be in the punctuation thread.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by tlb   » Tue May 12, 2020 9:23 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:Alright - I know David's writing is addictive, but I see no reason for refer to the female protagonists as drugs, instead of heroines - the feminine version of hero.

This has been bugging me since the beginning - and yes it probably should be in the punctuation thread.

In the past I have asked to have a spelling error fixed in a thread title, but Duckk said "no". I am not sure whether that was because of a refusal or an inability to do it.
Re: Where next for our younger heroes and heroines?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue May 12, 2020 9:35 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

tlb wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:Alright - I know David's writing is addictive, but I see no reason for refer to the female protagonists as drugs, instead of heroines - the feminine version of hero.

In the past I have asked to have a spelling error fixed in a thread title, but Duckk said "no". I am not sure whether that was because of a refusal or an inability to do it.

Actually, although the previous posts can't be changed, the later ones can.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Honorverse