Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests

Raoul/Katherine Inheritance

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Polygamy & Inheritance
Post by MC1560   » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:13 pm

MC1560
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

tlb wrote:However as a matter of politics, I do expect the White Haven title to go to someone other than the person that holds the Harrington title on Manticore.
Explain.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:36 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

MC1560 wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:True, but abdication is different. That means "pass to the next person after me". If Hamish abdicates, the first heir immediately gets it. That would be Raoul. Hamish can't force Raoul to abdicate, it would have to be Raoul's voluntary choice.
There isn't anything stopping Raoul from keeping all the lands/titles so that he can give them to his children rather than his half sibling.

I suspect that how the titles will be passed will be a subject of discussion between Hamish, Honor, and Raoul once he gets old enough. Although written "suggestions" might be in order, given the dangerous nature of Hamish and Honor's day jobs.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:48 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:I suspect that how the titles will be passed will be a subject of discussion between Hamish, Honor, and Raoul once he gets old enough. Although written "suggestions" might be in order, given the dangerous nature of Hamish and Honor's day jobs.

Retired admirals who sometimes travel to Landing to vote in the Lords or to appear on Sunday newsfax shows?
Post by tlb   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:15 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:However as a matter of politics, I do expect the White Haven title to go to someone other than the person that holds the Harrington title on Manticore.
MC1560 wrote:Explain.

The Harrington and White Haven votes in the House of Lords support the Crown, If they are combined into one person then the Crown loses a vote, since I assume a member can only vote once. By splitting them the Crown supporters continue to have both votes.
Post by MC1560   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:30 pm

MC1560
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

tlb wrote:The Harrington and White Haven votes in the House of Lords support the Crown, If they are combined into one person then the Crown loses a vote, since I assume a member can only vote once. By splitting them the Crown supporters continue to have both votes.
According to the wiki "All peerages above the rank of Baron from the three original planets of the Star Kingdom held two seats in the Lords: one for the current holder of the peerage and another "cadet seat" for his or her heir. Also, peers of the realm who had more than one title of nobility were entitled to have as many as two seats (and votes) with their respective cadet seats in the House".

The problem with your scenario is that there is no guarantee that Katherine or anyone else will vote the same way as Raoul, thus they end up losing those votes anyway.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:01 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Fox2! wrote:I suspect that how the titles will be passed will be a subject of discussion between Hamish, Honor, and Raoul once he gets old enough. Although written "suggestions" might be in order, given the dangerous nature of Hamish and Honor's day jobs.

Retired admirals who sometimes travel to Landing to vote in the Lords or to appear on Sunday newsfax shows?

First Lords who take part in multi-lateral discussions that take place on space stations that get blown to smithereens by terrorists.
Post by munroburton   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:14 pm

munroburton
Admiral

tlb wrote:

The Harrington and White Haven votes in the House of Lords support the Crown, If they are combined into one person then the Crown loses a vote, since I assume a member can only vote once. By splitting them the Crown supporters continue to have both votes.

Elizbeth's way ahead of you. She already created a Barony for Willie Alexander.

Although... I don't recall Willie having any children mentioned. Unless he has some, Raoul is also his current heir.
Post by tlb   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:52 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:The Harrington and White Haven votes in the House of Lords support the Crown, If they are combined into one person then the Crown loses a vote, since I assume a member can only vote once. By splitting them the Crown supporters continue to have both votes.

munroburton wrote:Elizbeth is way ahead of you. She already created a Barony for Willie Alexander.

Although... I don't recall Willie having any children mentioned. Unless he has some, Raoul is also his current heir.

Any title for Willie is separate from the title for Hamish, so my point stands. In fact I expect the Crown would be more adverse to combing all three titles into one person. I expect the titles for Hamish and Willie will go to two separate people and not to the holder of the Harrington title.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:Elizbeth's way ahead of you. She already created a Barony for Willie Alexander.

The wiki claims of William Alexander "He was married, and he and his wife had several children. (infodump)". But with the infodump site offline I wasn't able to confirm that RFC had in fact said that.

But I suspect having Raoul also first in line to inherit a 3rd title would be a distraction from the story RFC would want to tell. So I tend to suspect even if the wiki is wrong about what he's already said that if it ever become relevant we'll see that Willie in fact does have heirs with higher standing than his oldest nephew.
Re: Raoul/Katherine Inheritance
Post by Somtaaw   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:47 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Do we have any information on whether Honor's cousin Devon survived the Yawata Strike, and/or whether the Earldom of Harrington is still distinct from the Duchy of Harrington?

Honor's original Manticoran (Countess) estates were passed to Devon when everybody (including the Peeps) thought she was dead. Then upon returning to Manticore Elizabeth specifically created the Duchy of Harrington, which also neatly bypassed the Lords original block (they excluded her as Countess Harrington, they couldn't/didn't vote to exclude Duchess Harrington) but Devon also kept that title until at least the Strike.

If he didn't survive, because I think he was also childless, and seeing as how it was originally her title in the first place; it's quite possible it was reverted back to her, under the same law that made Devon inherit it from her (closest cousin, blood relation).

Which could very well mean Honor is the current holder of the (original) Earldom/County of Harrington, and the newer Duchy, and both are (still) distinct titles in the Lords. Since her heirs aren't of age she also directly controls those cadet seats for a total of 4 votes directly, all deriving from titles she earned for serving Queen Elizabeth, not bad for a poor Yeoman daughter.

Particularly amusing since during FoD, Cromarty and Willie would have considered it an act of God to just get 10 votes in Honor's favour, circa Pavel Young's court martial trial. And Honor now (potentially anyways) directly controls 4 votes, and in combination with Hamish's 2, and Willie having a title now for 2 more, that's 8 votes that are going to generally always be counted as a bundle. Thanks to proxy codes and how they stay in touch, even if Honor were back on Grayson for Steadholder business, Hamish (or Willie) would be applying her votes where needed.

Return to Honorverse