Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 47 guests

Quarantine would a lot easier with some snippets.......

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Quarantine would a lot easier with some snippets.......
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:26 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:This is an opportunity to stay at home and start or complete all of those procrastinations in your life. And without feeling guilty about it. I've started writing a book.

I'm having the opposite problem; at this point I could really use a week off. I haven't had a full calendar day off since February.

They also serve who throw cans at shelves.
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:
cthia wrote:This is an opportunity to stay at home and start or complete all of those procrastinations in your life. And without feeling guilty about it. I've started writing a book.

I'm having the opposite problem; at this point I could really use a week off. I haven't had a full calendar day off since February.

They also serve who throw cans at shelves.

What??? Why? Is your job that critical? Overworking oneself is dangerous. You tend to be prone to mistakes when overworked, exhausted and/or sleepy. This isn't the time to make even little mistakes. Sounds like you need, at least, two weeks. One to rest, and one to enjoy. And what's throwing cans at shelves all about?

Anyway, I hope things get better for you. Do stay safe!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:22 am

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:What??? Why? Is your job that critical?

I work for one of the local toilet paper vendors. We used to call them grocery stores until this corona thing pointed out that one product was truly important and the rest sort of optional.

The "calendar day" thing is really a bit of a red herring. I work overnight, so getting one day off means for example I work Saturday night into Sunday morning and then Monday night into Tuesday morning. There's a night off between those, but I'm on the clock at least part of every single day of the week. The first few weeks because the panic meant I was working 6 nights a week, and now because they can't afford to give me two nights in a row off. I don't expect to get a "weekend" again until at least July and probably won't take any vacation time until then either. Somebody's got to keep you all fed, right? May as well be me.

And what's throwing cans at shelves all about?

My personal variation of Milton's When I Consider How My Light is Spent:

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodg'd with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide;
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience to prevent
That murmur, soon replies: "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts; who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly. Thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait."

Or in my case, throw groceries onto shelves. If you're buying toilet paper or paper towels, there's a non-zero chance it was literally flung onto the shelves. Bottled water has taken flight on occasion as well.

Return to Honorverse