Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 57 guests

Glorious Rose's gotta love this one...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Glorious Rose's gotta love this one...
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:12 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Remontoire wrote:Thanks SharkHunter! I had missed that one :P Anyone else know if there are any other short stories not included in the honorverse anthologies? I'm aware of the Infinite Stars one that recently came out, tho I haven't gotten the book yet. Any others?

I'm aware of three:
  1. Dark Fall, which is included in Uncompromising Honor print edition, but is missing in the ebook version
  2. Our Sacred Honor, the one in the Infinite Stars
  3. Recruiting Drive, the one we've just discussed

All three are related to Eloise Pritchart in some way.
Post by tlb   » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:19 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Remontoire wrote:Thanks SharkHunter! I had missed that one :P Anyone else know if there are any other short stories not included in the honorverse anthologies? I'm aware of the Infinite Stars one that recently came out, tho I haven't gotten the book yet. Any others?

ThinksMarkedly wrote:I'm aware of three:
  1. Dark Fall, which is included in Uncompromising Honor print edition, but is missing in the ebook version

Our Sacred Honor is also in a Baen Anthology Book:
https://www.baen.com/the-years-best-mil ... ume-4.html

Google Books has an extensive preview of this story (they alternately show and hide pages from beginning to end), to give you an idea if you want the whole thing.
Post by Theemile   » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

ThinksMarkedly wrote:I'm aware of three:

Our Sacred Honor is also in a Baen Anthology Book:
https://www.baen.com/the-years-best-mil ... ume-4.html

Google Books has an extensive preview of this story (they alternately show and hide pages from beginning to end), to give you an idea if you want the whole thing.

There are also a handful published in the free books at Baen. Joelle Presby wrote a short story about a new female Grayson ensign. David wrote some details about Sphinx for new immigrants post-plague, and some letters from Stephanie Harrington to some old friends on Meyerdahl. Also there are some in the SITS and Jayne's books, those are available for $$ online at drive through RPG.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by GloriousRuse   » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:11 am

GloriousRuse
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

As an aside, more general purpose-ish, if you ever read David Drake’s Ranks of Bronze, there is a spin-off by RFC titled “the Excalibur Option.” It feels very Weber techno-war compared to Drake...but that’s beside the point. It’s the first place you see the names Nimue and Merlin in reference to a genocidal alien federation.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:43 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

I'm aware of three:

In which edition of _Uncompromising Honor_ did "Dark Fall" appear? I checked my copies and I don't see it.

Besides the other stories that appeared on the Baen homepage (and later in various _Free Stories_ compendiums), there is "Requium" by David Carrico which appeared in _Grantville Gazette 86 (in the Universe Annex)
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:54 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:In which edition of _Uncompromising Honor_ did "Dark Fall" appear? I checked my copies and I don't see it.

I don't know, I'm just repeating the information I found online. My edition (ebook) doesn't have it either. Anyway, use the link above to read it.

I printed the page to PDF and then used an online conversion tool to import it to my Kindle (Kindle doesn't make reading PDFs easy).

Return to Honorverse