Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 115 guests

Manticore A, Manticore B & the Junction

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Manticore A, Manticore B & the Junction
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:16 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

perhaps some one could point me toward the answers to some questions regarding the Manticore star system and the junction.

We know [Uouse of Steel] that that the A & B have masses of 1.12SM and 0.92SM, and have an average distance of 333 & 406 light minutes from the center of gravity [GoG].
- what is their orbital period?

we also know that the Junction is related to A, or at least lies at a distance of 412 light minutes from A.

we know that worm holes junctions move with their related stars [relative to the galaxy I guess]

so this seems to imply that the Manticore junction rotates round the system CoG, or does it move with the A but at a fixed angle wrt the center of the galaxy or is there some other path....?

Does the junction affect the orbits of A & B, esp since it could easily path between them?
Re: Manticore A, Manticore B & the Junction
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:14 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Good Question! No text-ev why, but I've always pictured the wormholes above or below the ecliptic even if not very far so as to have them be somewhat fixed in space and less affected by the gravitational influences of things like binary stars, gas giants, etc. I also wonder if there's some kind of agreement that defines "galactic up and down" vs. per system. Anyone?

isaac_newton wrote:perhaps some one could point me toward the answers to some questions regarding the Manticore star system and the junction.

We know [Uouse of Steel] that that the A & B have masses of 1.12SM and 0.92SM, and have an average distance of 333 & 406 light minutes from the center of gravity [GoG].

we also know that the Junction is related to A, or at least lies at a distance of 412 light minutes from A.

we know that worm holes junctions move with their related stars [relative to the galaxy I guess]

so this seems to imply that the Manticore junction rotates round the system CoG, or does it move with the A but at a fixed angle wrt the center of the galaxy or is there some other path....?

Does the junction affect the orbits of A & B, esp since it could easily path between them?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by saber964   » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:49 pm

saber964
Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:perhaps some one could point me toward the answers to some questions regarding the Manticore star system and the junction.

Given that Pluto is nearly the same average distance 5.5 LH or 330 LM. Pluto has a orbital period of 247.68 years. It would get you in the ballpark.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:20 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:

Given that Pluto is nearly the same average distance 5.5 LH or 330 LM. Pluto has a orbital period of 247.68 years. It would get you in the ballpark.

Since there is twice as much mass in the Manticore double star system than in the Sun-Pluto system, the orbit period would be about 175 years (the ratio orbit period is the square root of the inverse of the relative mass ratio)
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:08 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Good Question! No text-ev why, but I've always pictured the wormholes above or below the ecliptic even if not very far so as to have them be somewhat fixed in space and less affected by the gravitational influences of things like binary stars, gas giants, etc. I also wonder if there's some kind of agreement that defines "galactic up and down" vs. per system. Anyone?

There is such a definition, which is the direction of rotation: when looked from "above" (North), rotation is counter-clockwise. Also known as the Right Hand Rule. In our Solar System, all major bodies (except Venus) and most non-trivial satellites rotate on the same direction as their revolution takes them around the Sun or their parent planets. North and South come from that. Galactic North and South are defined the same way, by the direction of rotation of the stars in the Galaxy.

Which has nothing to do with what the books talk about when they say North and South. Makes little sense since four directions are insufficient -- you need six in 3D space.

Anyway, as for the Junction, RFC hasn't written one way or the other, but I read At All Costs to indicate that the start the Junction is associated with changes every few hundred years. Or, put it differently, the Junction orbits the CoG and the RZ is simply the closer of the two stars.
Post by jchilds   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:13 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

I think the Manticoran Jayne's book has a little more on the layout of the system?
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:38 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

jchilds wrote:I think the Manticoran Jayne's book has a little more on the layout of the system?

do you mean House of Steel?
that's what I got the info that I had from... I was wondering if it was more defined elsewhere...
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:42 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote: SNIP
Anyway, as for the Junction, RFC hasn't written one way or the other, but I read At All Costs to indicate that the start the Junction is associated with changes every few hundred years. Or, put it differently, the Junction orbits the CoG and the RZ is simply the closer of the two stars.

ooo - that's interesting... so there might be a change over period at certain times in the orbit!

BTW Can you remember roughly where in AAC that comes up - I have only a dead wood copy.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:30 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote: SNIP

ooo - that's interesting... so there might be a change over period at certain times in the orbit!

BTW Can you remember roughly where in AAC that comes up - I have only a dead wood copy.

Did a quick search in the ebook copy and found this in the early part of Chapter 62
At All Costs: Ch. 62 wrote:But since the Manticore Binary System's secondary component lay outside the resonance (and would for the next few hundred years or so), Home Fleet had actually been closer from its position covering the Junction—in terms of travel time—to Manticore-B than to Manticore-A.
Not much detail, just that brief parenthetical mention.
Post by jchilds   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:52 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

isaac_newton wrote:
jchilds wrote:I think the Manticoran Jayne's book has a little more on the layout of the system?

do you mean House of Steel?
that's what I got the info that I had from... I was wondering if it was more defined elsewhere...

Jayne's Intelligence Review : The Royal Manticoran Navy, has a couple of things House of Steel doesn't. The writeup is sparser and some of the numbers are slightly different, but there is a table of planets with orbit, size, gravity (for rocky planets) and number of moons. There is also a full page colour plate of the layout of the A and B subsystems, with a picture of the kingdom's flag and a B&W inset that better shows the relation between Manticores A,B and the WHJ compared to the diagram in HoS.

Return to Honorverse