Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 83 guests

Honor/Hamish/Emily

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor/Hamish/Emily
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:52 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

[quote="cthia"]

Does textev mention if Kuzak became a courtesan before the Navy, or during? I'm surprised the Navy doesn't have some sort of reg against that sort of extracurricular activity. It seems it would skirt awfully close to a certain reg. If her profession would be accepted by the Navy, could she offer the service to anyone, even in her chain of command? IINM, the regs frown upon intimate relationships in ones chain of command. But what Kuzak offers is a business transaction. Would, should she have been drummed out of the Navy?

/quote]
The only reg we have every been quoted is the one relevant to officers in the same chain of command. If Kuzak was neither Hamish's subordinate nor superior, then there would have been no problem as far as the regulations were concerned.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:02 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
cthia wrote:
Does textev mention if Kuzak became a courtesan before the Navy, or during? I'm surprised the Navy doesn't have some sort of reg against that sort of extracurricular activity. It seems it would skirt awfully close to a certain reg. If her profession would be accepted by the Navy, could she offer the service to anyone, even in her chain of command? IINM, the regs frown upon intimate relationships in ones chain of command. But what Kuzak offers is a business transaction. Would, should she have been drummed out of the Navy?

The only reg we have every been quoted is the one relevant to officers in the same chain of command. If Kuzak was neither Hamish's subordinate nor superior, then there would have been no problem as far as the regulations were concerned.

And there's no way it can be from before. Emily was injured in 1862 PD, when she and Hamish were about 40 T-years old. We know from House of Steel that Hamish was a Lieutenant Commander in 1855.
Post by tlb   » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:08 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Does textev mention if Kuzak became a courtesan before the Navy, or during? I'm surprised the Navy doesn't have some sort of reg against that sort of extracurricular activity. It seems it would skirt awfully close to a certain reg. If her profession would be accepted by the Navy, could she offer the service to anyone, even in her chain of command? IINM, the regs frown upon intimate relationships in ones chain of command. But what Kuzak offers is a business transaction. Would, should she have been drummed out of the Navy?

fallsfromtrees wrote:The only reg we have every been quoted is the one relevant to officers in the same chain of command. If Kuzak was neither Hamish's subordinate nor superior, then there would have been no problem as far as the regulations were concerned.

Since from text the incident with Kuzak occurred about 40 years before the events in the book In Enemy Hands, we have no idea if one was subordinate to the other; only that they were friends.

Many military laws mention "conduct unbecoming an officer", but I do not know if that is true for the RMN; however one of the charges for which Pavel Young was convicted is "lack of character which exceed any acceptable in an officer of Her Majesty's Navy".
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Agreed, as it applies to Hamish. But the question is regarding the crew on her ship, even though they are in her chain of command. Since Kuzak is a "professional," what she's offering is a business transaction, a service, supposedly devoid of any feelings.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:05 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:She proclaimed, quite loudly, "You give hope to all women in the world regarding men!" LOL

I agree that joke is very funny.

About a hypothetical "Kuzak" that is both a ship's captain and a courtesan; since this is clearly not a story with which I am familiar, I do not know enough to guess. I would need to know much more about your world.

You might as well ask me: if pigs could fly, would it be illegal to eat ham? That might depend on whether they could sing, since it is illegal to kill songbirds.

I have already pointed out that on Manticore the following is a court martial offense that will get you kicked out of service: "lack of character which exceed any acceptable in an officer of Her Majesty's Navy". I wish that had been worded better, because it really means "less character than the minimum demanded of an officer".
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:52 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Agreed, as it applies to Hamish. But the question is regarding the crew on her ship, even though they are in her chain of command. Since Kuzak is a "professional," what she's offering is a business transaction, a service, supposedly devoid of any feelings.

I don't know where you're getting that she has a second career besides being an Admiral in the RMN. Sounds to me like the RMN pays well and keeps their officers busy with training and simulations.

But even if she were, regulations would still apply. Anyone under her command would be a violation and she could be court-martialed.
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'm not aware textev says she no longer provides the service. Plus, like Honor, she's not always aboard ship. And if she did indeed discontinue the service "officially" when she became an Admiral, she was "engaged" for a very long time. Sure it's behind her?

@tlb:
Lack of character? Courtesan is an accepted profession in the Star Kingdom. Having another income from another career isn't frowned upon in the military.

My friends don't share your opinion of me. They actually know the meaning of misogynyst.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Joat42   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 am

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:Attempting to stifle my opinions and feelings toward a character with rude, immature statements like "Keep your disturbing fantasies to yourself," is the kind of immature tone created by posters I spoke of earlier. I will not tolerate that kind of behaviour. If I crave that kind of exchange, I can locate the politics forum. You are entitled to your opinion of characters and their actions, as well as I am entitled to my own. If you truly feel that way, then you should report my posts to the moderator, and you should do it across the board and not just with me.

You are welcome to express your opinions and feelings of characters, but expressing those as little "fanfic" moment goes expressly against the wishes of the author. That you don't even reflect over how your "fanfic" and the "suggestive" language you sometimes use can affect rfc in a negative way tells me you are more interested in "being right" than anything else.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by tlb   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Lack of character? Courtesan is an accepted profession in the Star Kingdom. Having another income from another career isn't frowned upon in the military.

My friends don't share your opinion of me. They actually know the meaning of misogynyst.

You and your friends are quite right, I do not know the meaning of the word "misogynyst". But then, Merriam-Webster does not know it either.

I would think that being a ship's captain is expected to be a full time job in a normal navy, but in this story you are spinning that may not be true. Without knowing more of this story, I can only guess that the navy you describe is considered a joke among the other militaries. Is Isabel Bardasano going to be revealed as the heroine, for trying to bring the benefits of science to the universe?
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:05 am

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:I'm not aware textev says she no longer provides the service. Plus, like Honor, she's not always aboard ship. And if she did indeed discontinue the service "officially" when she became an Admiral, she was "engaged" for a very long time. Sure it's behind her?

@tlb:
Lack of character? Courtesan is an accepted profession in the Star Kingdom. Having another income from another career isn't frowned upon in the military.

There is direct textev contradicting your juvenile little fan fiction. Every time White Haven's past indiscretions are mentioned, it's explicitly stated that every OTHER time was with a registered courtesan. Kusak is explicitly named as the exception.

If anything, your assumption that a woman having sex outside the bounds of marriage must be a paid professional is more than a little misogynist. Maybe she's just human and had an affair with a friend who really needed something more right then. Oh wait, that's exactly how it's described in text.

Grow the hell up.

Return to Honorverse