Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 135 guests

Honor/Hamish/Emily

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor/Hamish/Emily
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
cthia wrote:This ship must be righted. It wasn't consent at all, certainly not initially. Emily had to be talked into it by Samantha; who I imagine used brutal truths . . .

<Em, hon, you are swimming upstream against the raging rapids. Both of them are in love and Hamish wants to rip off her clothes and rut. He still loves you, but you can't fight mother nature. You might as well join 'em. Honor makes him whole>

As you said, MC1560, the door of the marriage has been legally widened; how would Hamish feel if Samantha sat him down and explained to him that Honor wants to bring another man into the marriage, because her Beowulfan urges have been awakened?

I have a suggestion, how about you keep your disturbing fanfic fantasies to yourself.

Also, go read the relevant chapter in WoH.

My "fantasies" are disturbing to a denizen hailing from a sexually open society that is Sweden? Awww, yet you never quite acted all grown up.

I have a suggestion for you, find a Sesame Street forum.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:56 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
cthia wrote:This ship must be righted. It wasn't consent at all, certainly not initially. Emily had to be talked into it by Samantha; who I imagine used brutal truths . . .

<Em, hon, you are swimming upstream against the raging rapids. Both of them are in love and Hamish wants to rip off her clothes and rut. He still loves you, but you can't fight mother nature. You might as well join 'em. Honor makes him whole>

As you said, MC1560, the door of the marriage has been legally widened; how would Hamish feel if Samantha sat him down and explained to him that Honor wants to bring another man into the marriage, because her Beowulfan urges have been awakened?

Joat42 wrote:I have a suggestion, how about you keep your disturbing fanfic fantasies to yourself.

Also, go read the relevant chapter in WoH.

cthia wrote:My "fantasies" are disturbing to a denizen hailing from a sexually open society that is Sweden? Awww, yet you never quite acted all grown up.

Joat42: the problem you have encountered is that the tone of this forum is controlled by Duckk. So if you expect more from members than the minimum permitted, your expectations are too high and you are going to be disappointed. You simply need to set your expectations lower and remember who completed a misogynist joke about Kuzak earlier in this thread.

Cthia: you seem to confuse any persuasion that gives a result you dislike with coercion. Basically how Hamish might respond to such a contrived suggestion, has nothing to do with how Emily responded to the circumstances in the book.
Post by Joat42   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:13 am

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:My "fantasies" are disturbing to a denizen hailing from a sexually open society that is Sweden? Awww, yet you never quite acted all grown up.

1. This is not a fanfic-forum, and rfc has himself said that he doesn't want to see any fanfic here. Imagine if someone searches for his name and YOUR post containing sexual innuendos and fantasies shows up in the results. Do you really think rfc would be happy about that, especially if someone starts asking him questions about what's going on here?

2. The administrators of the site CAN fall afoul of the COPPA act if someone thinks what you write is harmful for children and files a complaint; and trust me, there are some real puritans out there that'll happily do that. Do you think somehow it's okay to inflict that risk on this forum and rfc?

3. A sexually open society doesn't mean it's okay to dump whatever sexual innuendos you like into a public forum or debate.

The above should be blindingly obvious to anyone, but apparently not to you.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Joat42   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 am

Joat42
Admiral

tlb wrote:Joat42: the problem you have encountered is that the tone of this forum is controlled by Duckk. So if you expect more from members than the minimum permitted, your expectations are too high and you are going to be disappointed. You simply need to set your expectations lower and remember who completed a misogynist joke about Kuzak earlier in this thread.

See my post above this one.

---

Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:22 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

@tlb;
I object! Set his expectations lower??? :o :roll:

There is nothing, at all, misogynistic about the Kuzak joke. It is centered around her idiocy, not her sex. Pavel Young, High Ridge and Elvis Santino (all men) didn't corner the market on incompetence. You've been unsuccessfully trying to paint me misogynistic for many hands of threads. When are you going to learn the true meaning of that word.

Duckk only controls the content, not the tone. Adults control the tone, kids misappropriate the setting on the dial.

@joat42, give it a rest already. We have a moderator. It isn't you, thank God. You can always report my posts.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Joat42   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 am

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:@joat42, give it a rest already. We have a moderator. It isn't you, thank God. You can always report my posts.

Good to know that you care so little about rfc's wishes and how it can negatively affect him.

rfc wrote:As Mike pointed out in his post, it leads to a situation in which an author can be accused of "ripping off" someone else's idea, which can both impugn his/her honesty and even lead to ugly courtroom scenes as some non-pro attempts to sue because his or her original idea was "stolen" by a pro. (This has actually happened.) It would also be possible for a pro actually TO rip off an idea, perhaps without even realizing that he or she has done so. (I have never seen any actual documentation of such an event, but I HAVE seen a couple of stories, by authors who shall remain nameless, in which I personally suspect that that is precisely what happened.)

Even more importantly, the publication (even in electronic form) of fiction based on a writer's work, without the specific, documented permission of said writer (on a case-by-case basis) can void the writer's copyright. This has actually happened, and does not represent mere paranoid fantasy on my part. Nor am I the only writer concerned about it. Misty Lackey, for example, has a legal contract form drawn up which anyone publishing fanfic in her universe(s) is required to sign and return to her before they may use any of her material. (I have a copy of it thumbtacked to my wall for use as a model if I ever decide to go that way.) Anyone who publishes WITHOUT said signed contract is in violation of her copyright and she will, if it comes to her attention, take legal action against them. (Mind, I suspect many authors in such a position might take some pains to avoid having the unapproved fanfic come to his/her attention if he/she believes the fans' intentions were pure, but there is a limit to how many times someone can look the other way and still convince a judge, at need, that his/her ignorance was genuine.)

I deeply regret that this should be the case, as fanfic is often at least as imaginative and enjoyable as anything the writer who created the character/universe/whatever is likely to turn out. It is also rather flattering to an author to know that other people want to come over and play at his house, as it were. Unfortunately, the situation has become such that a writer cannot allow the free use of his universe without risking the loss of his own rights to it, and so I must regretfully ask that no fanfic appear on this group. Should that happen, I would have only two choices: (a) to take legal action (which I would hate to do and would endeavor to make as painless as possible for all concerned), or (b) leave the group and not return, as the only way I could avoid taking legal action NOW and still be in a position to defend my copyright down the road at need would be to avoid learning that the fiction was being published, electronically or otherwise. Since I would like to lurk and keep an eye on what's happening whenever projects (and things like weddings and house buying expeditions) allow me the time, I would very much appreciate it if it didn't happen here.

Again, my sincere regrets at having to take this position. I checked with my attorney when the matter first came up for me a couple of years ago, however, and he confirms what Baen, Misty, Roger Zelazny, Fred Saberhagen, and several other pros had all told me on previous occasions. With that much experienced opinion on one side of the question, I see no choice but to believe they know what they're talking about.

Take Care,
David

---

Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Oh FCOL, would someone sell me a sigh, I'm fresh out. What does the author's post have to do with normal participation in this forum and an age old pasttime discussing books? Now you are confusing fanfic with book discussions that go over your head.

I'm not going to engage you, again, in another one of your immature arguments.

Again. Report. It. To. The. Real. Moderator. !.

Post by tlb   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:@tlb;

There is nothing, at all, misogynistic about the Kuzak joke. It is centered around her idiocy, not her sex. Pavel Young, High Ridge and Elvis Santino (all men) didn't corner the market on incompetence. You've been unsuccessfully trying to paint me misogynistic for many hands of threads. When are you going to learn the true meaning of that word.

Duckk only controls the content, not the tone. Adults control the tone, kids misappropriate the setting on the dial.

@joat42, give it a rest already. We have a moderator. It isn't you, thank God. You can always report my posts.

Here is the "joke":
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Why do the Royal Mantivcoran Marines refer to Admiral Theodosa Kizac as "The Locomotive?"

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Because she enjoys pulling a train.

cthia wrote:And because she's had lots of men in her caboose. The trollop.

It is very common, after making a demeaning joke about a woman to say "it's just a joke; get a sense of humor". The "joke" is not at all about her "idiocy", it is saying that any woman who has had consensual sex with a man (not her husband) is a trollop, a slut or a whore that likes a big gangbang. Among the men you list as "incompetent", you missed listing Hamish; who is the other party. The book makes it clear that Kuzuk acted out of kindness to a friend, not because she was a trollop.

As for saying that I have tried to paint you as a misogynist, there is a quote for that also:
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men. gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Joat42: As I said
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:@tlb;

Here is the "joke":
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Why do the Royal Mantivcoran Marines refer to Admiral Theodosa Kizac as "The Locomotive?"

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Because she enjoys pulling a train.

cthia wrote:And because she's had lots of men in her caboose. The trollop.

It is very common, after making a demeaning joke about a woman to say "it's just a joke; get a sense of humor". The "joke" is not at all about her "idiocy", it is saying that any woman who has had consensual sex with a man (not her husband) is a trollop, a slut or a whore that likes a big gangbang. Among the men you list as "incompetent", you missed listing Hamish; who is the other party. The book makes it clear that Kuzuk acted out of kindness to a friend, not because she was a trollop.

As for saying that I have tried to paint you as a misogynist, there is a quote for that also:
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men. gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Joat42: As I said

:lol:

Ok, wrong joke. I thought you were referring to a kzt original that I recently included in the Humor thread that accuses Kuzak of being on crack, for not rolling pods.

I hardly think the FLY or I can be blamed for the joke about Kuzak being a locomotive. Blame the Marines for that.

You are aware that the Honorverse contains very mature subject matter, with very mature, uncensored, normal rhetoric emanating from naval personnel? There's a real world, somewhere, out, there. Whether you like it or not.

Post by tlb   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:48 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Ok, wrong joke. I thought you were referring to a kzt original that I recently included in the Humor thread that accuses Kuzak of being on crack, for not rolling pods.

I hardly think the FLY or I can be blamed for the joke about Kuzak being a locomotive. Blame the Marines for that.

You are aware that the Honorverse contains very mature subject matter, with very mature, uncensored, normal rhetoric emanating from naval personnel? There's a real world, somewhere, out, there. Whether you like it or not.

I did say the the "joke" was earlier in this thread.

I will certainly blame the joke on the Royal Marines, rather than you or TFLYTSNBN, if either of you can find in the text where anyone (but especially the Royal Marines) cast any aspersions on Kuzak's moral character. If it is not in the canon, then it is fanfic as Joat42 was explaining.

I quite agree that the books contain "very mature subject matter"; but that does not excuse forum members, such as TFLYTSNBN, who take juvenile delight in pushing the boundaries. But I have adjeusted my expectations lower for him, because I realize that he only reads the books for the shower scenes.
Last edited by tlb on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Honorverse