Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

1000 Worst Ways to Die in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: 1000 Worst Ways to Die in the Honorverse
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:11 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Being named Joe Buckley - that gets a lot of SF authors thinking up devious and unusual ways to kill you.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Panzer   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:43 am

Panzer
Lieutenant Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:Being named Joe Buckley - that gets a lot of SF authors thinking up devious and unusual ways to kill you.

That's a Baen thing.

I think Larry Correia takes the cake in MHI: Alpha, though.

If you're interested...

https://www.amazon.com/Many-Deaths-Joe- ... B00PHH9YT4
Post by TheMadPenguin   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:40 pm

TheMadPenguin

The worst way to die: Being ignored to the energy death of the Harrington Universe by RFC.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:08 pm

TFLYTSNBN

A really, really slow leak in your pressure suit.

You know that you are FUBARED, but circumstances prevent you from seeking refuge, getting extra air or being rescued.
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Being airlocked into the cold of space without a suit is a dish served cold. But no clothes allowed except your birthday suit is chilling for real.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:08 am

TFLYTSNBN

cthia wrote:Being airlocked into the cold of space without a suit is a dish served cold. But no clothes allowed except your birthday suit is chilling for real.

Death is to prompt to be horrific.
Leaky pressure suit enables more time to contemplate your impending doom.
Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
cthia wrote:Being airlocked into the cold of space without a suit is a dish served cold. But no clothes allowed except your birthday suit is chilling for real.

Death is to prompt to be horrific.
Leaky pressure suit enables more time to contemplate your impending doom.

True on both accounts.

Albeit, with Honor being the judge, and you're a slaver and it's your second offense, your slow death of fear begins upon capture. Talk about walking the plank.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Is there anywhere on the stupendously huge hull of a ship where someone could be tied down in full gear awaiting for the "engine" to come on? Is there anywhere on the outside hull that is the wrong place to be at the right time? Or is that the right place to be at the wrong time?

For instance, wouldn't want to be in the way when reactors are jettisoned.

Post by Theemile   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:07 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Is there anywhere on the stupendously huge hull of a ship where someone could be tied down in full gear awaiting for the "engine" to come on? Is there anywhere on the outside hull that is the wrong place to be at the right time? Or is that the right place to be at the wrong time?

You mean fried by active radar arrays, electrocuted by charged grav arrays, ripped apart by the grav shere coming off the drive nodes, boiled by the plasma from a rcs thruster, or crushed by a weapons emplacement cover? ( Just to name a few ).
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:Is there anywhere on the stupendously huge hull of a ship where someone could be tied down in full gear awaiting for the "engine" to come on? Is there anywhere on the outside hull that is the wrong place to be at the right time? Or is that the right place to be at the wrong time?

You mean fried by active radar arrays, electrocuted by charged grav arrays, ripped apart by the grav shere coming off the drive nodes, boiled by the plasma from a rcs thruster, or crushed by a weapons emplacement cover? ( Just to name a few ).

::Kaleid :o sc :o pe:: eyes.

So it is the target rich environment for committing the perfect murder. Steilman just got sloppy and chose the wrong weapons.

Return to Honorverse